• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waiting for May 2007

Karo

Me and my husband are planning on starting the Camino from Roncesvalles in the second week of May 2007. Can't wait, still few months ahead... As I've understod, people are walking the Camino for various reasons. We have been given so many wonderful things during our lives together, that we wanted to do this Camino as an act of gratitude. It is so easy to forget the really important things in life, and we thought it would be a good idea to celebrate those things by a pilgrimage. We are christians but not catholic, but I still find the idea of a pilgrimage just right for us. We don't have the time this year to finish the whole Camino, four little reasons need us back home. Could someone help me with information about not beeing a catholic, does it affect our Camino somehow..? We can walk just as well, but in churces and some refugios, are there limitations? This forum has been a source of inspiration and information, thanks to everybody who has given knowledge and experiences for others to enjoy!

Greetins from Finland, Karo

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I never had a problem not being a catholic. When I went to church services I stood quietly at the back and listened quietly. No one had a problem that I didn't take the communion. The only place where I felt slightly uncomfortable was at the hostel in Leon where the Nuns made us go to the service before bedtime. I didn't like being obliged to go to the service - I'd prefer to choose to go.

Either way as a catholic or not the Camino is what you make of it. No one has ever walked the same Camino as you.

Thanks for the reply, Whalleyranger. It has been nice to read how people from different cultural and religious backrounds have walked the Camino. Maybe that's one of Caminos richnesses, to meet and walk with the other pilgrims.

Some practical issues came to my mind (that maybe have been answered here already). We would like to walk slowly but as far as possible every day. I've read about "a race" to get a bed from the next refugio, and apparently we are going to be arriving to the refugios late in the evening. Is it crowded already in May? If so, we'll get prepared to sleep outside for some nights, if it's possible (weather?).

We'll fly to Pamplona, and the flight arrives at 17.30. Bus to Roncesvalles leaves 18.00, do we have any chance of getting to the busstation in time? Was it possible to take a taxi from Pamplona to Roncesvalles?

Karo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
May 2007

Hello Karo,
May is such a lovely time of the year to walk the camino. Being spring, everything is green, the wildflowers are a spectacle and the white and black European Stork have returned to their 100 year old nests to have babies which clap their beaks as you pass.
We found a few refuges crowded in May but always had a place to sleep - even if it was a matress on the floor. When we started in Roncesvalles it was very cold at night so sleeping outdoors was not an option. If you are turned away from a refuge you might be able to check into a little fonda or hotel.
You can take a taxi from the airport to Roncesvalles - it costs ± E50 and ± E42 from Pamplona. If you have a problem finding a taxi you can call the Central de taxi llamando at 948 351335.
Abrazos,

Communion on the Camino

We asked the question of a catholic priest:
“I am not a Catholic. Can I go to Holy Communion when I attend a Pilgrims’ Mass along the Camino or when I arrive in Santiago?”

ANSWER:
This is a question that is often asked by pilgrims to Santiago de Compostela. There is a desire to go to Communion and to be part of the liturgical celebration while at the same time wanting to respect the practice of the host church. What is the position?

The general rule in the Catholic Church regarding sacramental sharing is that it is only permissible for those with whom we share full ecclesial communion. There are two exceptions to this rule, namely, in danger of death or for “some other grave or pressing need”. In the case of grave or pressing need, the following conditions are to be met: “(a) the person must seek it of his or her own initiative, (b) must be unable to receive the sacrament from a minister of his or her own Church, (c) must manifest Catholic faith in the sacrament, (d) must have proper disposition for the fruitful reception of it”.

How these norms are interpreted varies from place to place and I think that one can normally assume a broad interpretation. For example, here in Cape Town, the policy has this to say regarding the criterion that the person should “manifest Catholic faith in the sacrament”: the person concerned should “acknowledge that the sacrament is the Body and Blood of Christ given under the form of bread and wine. This faith is manifest by responding ‘Amen’ to the minister who presents the sacred bread and saving cup.”

The short answer? By all means go to communion if you are a regular communicant in your own church and can say ‘yes’ to this being the Body and Blood of Christ. After all, when you are walking the Camino, you are probably a long way off from receiving the sacrament from your own church! And surely everyone on pilgrimage has the proper disposition!

One last thing. You will notice that most Catholic churches give Communion to the congregation under the form of bread only. This is really a matter of convenience. We believe that Christ is entirely present under either of the species. For symbolic value, of course, receiving Communion under both kinds is more complete.

And one more last thing. When Communion is administered to someone on their death-bed it is referred to as ‘viaticum’ which means ‘food for the journey’. But in a real way, every time we receive communion, it is viaticum, food for the pilgrimage of life!

Fr. Frank de Gouveia
Fr Frank de Gouveia is the Spiritual Advisor at the St Francis Xavier Seminary in Cape Town. He has walked both the Camino Frances and Portuguese Caminho

Sil, thank you for the answer. Please thank also to the kind priest who clarified the dilemma for me. I could have walked the Camino completely ignorent of the context, but I think it gives perspective and guidance to know some basic facts. Now I have some, and I hope the Camino will teach me the rest.

Karo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
religion on the camino

Hi in response to your question as to whether religion has any affect on the camino, the answer is absolutely no. My husband and I did the camino from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago April, May 2006. Most people do not even discuss religion. we were accepted everywhere with open arms. We too are christians but not Catholics and the experience in the cathedral in Santiago was one of the most spiritual I have ever had. We cried, we laughed, we were in awe. A feeling like no other. Religion is a personal thing. You are accepted for you on the camino.

Carol G

Roncesvalles, Leon

I have walked the Camino Frances in three parts. I would neither leave out Roncesvalles, where I had to start as I was already in Spain nor the albergue in Leon. The evening service in Roncesvalles was memorable as I have not heard such a good singing of the 4 priests there. I was happy to stay with the nuns in Leon. It was a great service there and there are not many places where you receive a breakfast before leaving. I finished in Leon that year.
It can get quite hot in Mid May early June, especially from Burgos to Astorga. However, Galicia is a bit milder. There are often thunderstorms in the late afternoon. Also I would recommend to wear light long trousers and a light long sleeve shirt.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.