• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Viana do Castelo to Ponte de Lima

mausieowen

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
We're walking next month and are planning to change from the coastal route at Viana do Castelo to the Central by walking to Ponte de Lima along the river.
I've read some mixed comments about how to do this and wonder if anyone has walked this recently and can advise what the path is like and if it runs north or south of the river?
One thread suggested taking a bus but we hope to be able to walk it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We're walking next month and are planning to change from the coastal route at Viana do Castelo to the Central by walking to Ponte de Lima along the river.
I've read some mixed comments about how to do this and wonder if anyone has walked this recently and can advise what the path is like and if it runs north or south of the river?
There is no waymarked path from Viana to Ponte de Lima. You have to walk along the northern bank of the Lima river and partly you follow the national road N202 with busy traffic
you need a good local map to get out of Viana. It is about 26 kms
I didnot walk it but drove is several times by car

Last edited:
what I did by the way and several times , was walking to Viana do Castelo all away from Porto along the Coastal and took the train from there to Tamél ( back in the direction of Porto) and directly out of the railwaystation is the waymarked Central route.
advantage is that after 6 kms you are at Casa da Fernanda , the most popular albergue of the entire Caminho Português and another 14 km from there to Ponte de Lima.
the train from Viana to Tamél takes 15 to 20minutes and you avoid walking along busy N roads and you save 6 kms too. The train maybe costs 2€. Win/win.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There is no waymarked path from Viana to Ponte de Lima. You have to walk along the northern bank of the Lima river and partly you follow the national road N202 with busy traffic
There is Ecovia do Rio Lima along the river: https://www.portuguesetrails.com/en/routes/ecovia-do-rio-lima-walking. I haven't walked it but it shows up on Google maps.

There is Ecovia do Rio Lima along the river: https://www.portuguesetrails.com/en/routes/ecovia-do-rio-lima-walking. I haven't walked it but it shows up on Google maps.
That is good one. That is new to me anyway . Thanks for mentioning this

nevertheless it is a nice detour, staying at Casa da Fernanda before walking to Ponte de Lima as I mentioned here above.

Thanks very much Albertinho. We really want to avoid busy roads. I see there may be a path. With the route you describe, is it possible to estimate how much of the 26km is busy road and how much is river path?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks very much Albertinho. We really want to avoid busy roads. I see there may be a path. With the route you describe, is it possible to estimate how much of the 26km is busy road and how much is river path?
I only know the road from driving by car but this Ecovia is new and following the river.This ecovia I do not know yet but I walked a similar one along the Minho river more northern between Caminha and Valença and that was a real leisure path all the way so I expect this path along the Lima river moreless similar ( for leisure though)

Nevertheless my alternative by taking the train to Tamel , from there all away to Ponte de Lima is a beautiful path and as a bonus you can stay at Casa da Fernanda for the night and have the common pilgrims meal with all who are present then . I should prefer that in factI did several times .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was in Ponte de Lima in March doing some biking and we biked along the Ecovia to Viana do Castelo. The path is on the south side of the river and although there are some signs, as long as you stay on the path or beside the river, you should be fine. It was a bit tricky getting into VdC, or leaving in your case but Google Maps should be able to help with that.

I was in Ponte de Lima in March doing some biking and we biked along the Ecovia to Viana do Castelo. The path is on the south side of the river and although there are some signs, as long as you stay on the path or beside the river, you should be fine. It was a bit tricky getting into VdC, or leaving in your case but Google Maps should be able to help with that.

Further to above, I found the route we took and will include it. It will give you a rough idea of how to leave the city on less busy roads and get you to the Ecovia!

Attachments

• 66F78F3C-A326-4770-8587-A053DF7ED531.png
    66F78F3C-A326-4770-8587-A053DF7ED531.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 14
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
what I did by the way and several times , was walking to Viana do Castelo all away from Porto along the Coastal and took the train from there to Tamél ( back in the direction of Porto) and directly out of the railwaystation is the waymarked Central route.
advantage is that after 6 kms you are at Casa da Fernanda , the most popular albergue of the entire Caminho Português and another 14 km from there to Ponte de Lima.
the train from Viana to Tamél takes 15 to 20minutes and you avoid walking along busy N roads and you save 6 kms too. The train maybe costs 2€. Win/win.
Really like the sound of that.Thank you.

Yesterday we walked from Viana do Castelo to Ponte de Lima along the southern side of the Rio Lima, moving from coastal to the central Camino.
It was an excellent walk - mostly flat, beautiful views and a wide path to walk on. We walked 20km in total. Thoroughly recommended!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back