Walking in rain

frank john

Jun 25, 2012
Chicago
Time of past OR future Camino
October 2016
October-November 2024
Im planning a November Frances Camino. I have an Altus rain coat that covers me and pack nicely but I’m wondering do I get a backpack cover and wear a hooded shell light jacket over heavier jacket. Both the cover and hooded shell I would always use and just put on hood when rain, eliminating having to stop and put on Altus. Any thoughts?
Frank

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Im planning a November Frances Camino. I have an Altus rain coat that covers me and pack nicely but I’m wondering do I get a backpack cover and wear a hooded shell light jacket over heavier jacket. Both the cover and hooded shell I would always use and just put on hood when rain, eliminating having to stop and put on Altus. Any thoughts?
Frank
I wouldn't bother with those extra layers. It's quite easy to put on an Altus without stopping. If rain is in the forecast drape the Altus over your backpack and tuck the sleeves into your backpack straps. You may want to tie the sleeves around your waist. When the rain starts simply pull the sleeves out and put your arms through.

K_Lynn

Buen Camino!
Jul 19, 2021
Edmonton, AB,
Frances 2021, Ingles 2023
I walked Ingles the last week of October last year and it rained every day. I had my Decathlon poncho which is similar to the Altus. When it stopped raining I would pull it off and then wear it like a cape with the sleeves tucked through my shoulder straps and managed to get it on in a rush without having to stop. On the one morning where it was not raining from the start I had my poncho in the side mesh pocket of my pack for ease of access.
Bring a light jacket/fleece for evenings.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

MesaWalker

Aug 10, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
CF (2021), Via Serrana, VdlP to Muxia (2023)
This seems like two questions.

1. Rain protection - If you have a decent poncho that covers your pack, like the Altus, you don't need other waterproofing.

2. Warmth in November - You probably will want to have available to you at least 4 layers, and preferably 5. My suggestion - t-shirt, long sleeved shirt of some kind, light down layer or (not too thick) fleece, light windrproof outer layer (could be thin windbreaker that would help if no rain but breezy and would not need to be waterproof), and your Altus. Then you're ready for pretty much anything.

Reactions: mkc and trecile

Most read last week in this forum

Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
A nice warm soak eases tired bones, and I was just wondering if there are any Thermal Spas along the Camino Frances
The Holy See has published details concerning the 2025 Roman Jubilee of Hope here : https://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/bulls/documents/20240509_spes-non-confundit_bolla-giubileo2025.html...
Can someone put together a calendar of holidays in Spain for pilgrims to use as part of their planning? I’ve never gotten stuck, but it seems that, once or twice, posters are caught trying to...
There are some minor (and good) changes in the new Pilgrim Credential. 1. The credential now includes a QR code to scan, which will take you to the Registration webpage. Very handy, as you are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides