Walking May 2014

Irène Elisabet

St Benedict Ora Pro Nobis!
Aug 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
Just joined today! My husband and I will be walking the Camino Frances starting either very late April to early May 2014. Have been training, researching and avidly reading this forum to learn from all your experience. Am especially concerned about my feet - I know that's odd, not too worried about anything else. I tend to have hot feet and what I call "foot claustrophobia", am an avid flip flop lover...sooo :) Have never found a single boot thats comfortable, settled on a light hiking shoe and figure I'm screwed. Other than that its all good!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Aug 14, 2013
Port Orange, Florida and Syracuse, New York
Francis SJPDP-SDC (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) , Norte 2018
Pilgrim Office 2018, Hospitalero Acebo 2019
From what I have read here on this forum, If the light hiking shoes you have are comfortable and broken in with no blisters etc, you should be fine!!! Only concern would be rain or high water/snow?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

pererin

Pererin profiadol
Feb 26, 2012
Camino Frances (May 2014)
Camino Portugues and Finisterre (June 2015)
Del Norte by bike planned.
Hi, I do lots of walking and the key is to wear what is comfortable, fits well and provides the neccessary support/traction. I wear boots off road but thats because I prefer these, on long stretches of road they can be too stiff, so I will also have some trainers or sandals.

What is important is that you are comfortable and finish your walk. Although we all know Santiago is important to us all for own reasons, how you make your journey is key.

Enjoy your pilgrimage, we may see each other there.

Buen camino

:)

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Mar 12, 2011
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
You will have plenty of time to work out how well these will work between now and Apr/May. Most lightweight shoes are sufficiently flexible not to require a great deal of breaking in, and you will find out quickly enough if the shoes create pressure points etc.

I have some experience with boots that didn't work well was leading up to the CF in 2010. A new pair of leather boots I was breaking in developed a crease that created pressure across the top of my foot just behind my toes when I was about 18km into a training walk. When they did much the same the next weekend on my long walk, I had to make a tough decision to walk in an older, well worn in, pair of boots that didn't have as much toe room as I would have liked.

It is important for your footwear to be comfortable for you and fit well. Don't persist with a particular style, brand or model of shoe/boot if it isn't.

Regards,

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides