• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the camino in december with a dog

Jackflap

Time of past OR future Camino
camino del norte "2011", camino frances "2012-2013"
Planning on walking the Camino to Santiago very soon. We want to make it a fundraising event. Which good cause do you like? Suggestions are very welcome. We want to go with our dog in the winter, sure to be a challenge...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good idea - but - many albergues do not allow animals, most restaurants won't either, how is your Spanish? Can you find a vet should you need one? Explain what might ail your dog? No dog insurance for sprains, thorns and torn foot pads, exhaustion/dehydration, torn limbs and bites from the local canines. Try finding a bag of dog food in say Rabanal or Castrojerez. The challenges are numerous and the stress for both of you is a real concern - perhaps reconsider.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A dog , like a person, should train and exercise before going on long hikes like the Camino. If you take it unprepared , the dog will suffer from torren feet cushions, tendons and muscles and then you are stuck.
In the 2 times I did the Camino I saw one woman with a small dog and she did have many difficulties getting in the gites and albergues, it was a matter of insurance more then disturbing other pilgrims.

Gosh you negative lot :!:
My dog would enjoy it immensely only eats once a day, she would make 100's (0000's) of people very very happy, she doesn't bark, & she goes to church(communion), I get into trouble if she's not there!
She can walk to heal(&she can run off too). She likes women better than men!

Anyone want to borrow her for 5weeks.
They only get saw paws/pads if they run on those crazy surfaces for hours on end, but she wont be running much!

Her names Audrey!(& now she's pinning to go for another walk)
Yes one would take a medical kit for the dog too, obviously :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D
David

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
OK Abbeydore, you've convinced me - only two last things, true there are some few places where cow paddies are freely distributed on the Camino but do take some poop baggies for Audrey and worm medicine in her med-kit. The Spanish are not dog enthusiasts, dogs are a work animal in rural areas, can be quite aggressive and frightening and are used to keep out the unwanted, both 2 and 4 legged varieties of creatures. They hardly tolerate pilgrims and do go berserk when meeting other dogs, it's a territory thing. Brandish your trekking pole and you will see how they have been disciplined-not an easy sight. Good luck with your plan.

Thanks for your replies, our dog is a very sportive one. It is a swiss mountain dog, used to the mountains, so we hope he wont have too much problems. I know that staying an albergue with a dog is difficult, but thats why we will bring a tent. We want to find a good a cause to support, any ideas? Preferably something in Portagal, because that is where we are heading next. This a part of our project Jackflap (http://www.jackflap.com), travelling around the world.

Jackflap said:
Thanks for your replies, our dog is a very sportive one. It is a swiss mountain dog, used to the mountains, so we hope he wont have too much problems. I know that staying an albergue with a dog is difficult, but thats why we will bring a tent. We want to find a good a cause to support, any ideas? Preferably something in Portagal, because that is where we are heading next. This a part of our project Jackflap (http://www.jackflap.com), travelling around the world.
YOURS
IMG_2758.jpg
IMG_0483-225x300.jpg

& MINE
]DSC_0037_2++.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• DSC_0082+.jpg
    DSC_0082+.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 3,263
  • DSC_0037_2++.jpg
    DSC_0037_2++.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 3,275
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks Abbydore! Our dogs do look alike and brings joy to everyone who meets him. Still be a challenge though, but hopefully we will can walk the whole way. Ps: it is a very good tent with good sleeping bags and mattresses. How cold can it get? What are the highest peaks we would sleep at?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I will walk soon too, but would not bring my dog to do the camino in December! No way.
And surely not for a long period. My dog has been mountainwalking and camping a lot with us...she's 12 years old now. Last year she was in the Dolomites with us. But no Camino for her! That decision is not just related to her age.....

Walking in winter is already a challenge, without a dog! Add to this the spanish attitude towards dogs....
A lot of restaurants, hostels and hotels are closed....after that you will find a lot who will not take you in with -a wet or muddy - dog. That would take my pleasure after a long day of walking!
I think in Spain your dog cannot accompany you in a bus if necessary at any point or at least that will be very difficult in spain. You should look into this...I don't know if it's the same for every company. For the train I don't know either. I also don't know if any taxidriver would take a dog...esp if they are wet. And hopefully you would need neither of them...but...
If camping in winter, your greatest challenge is to keep everything dry....how are you going to do this with a wet dog? -we forget for a while the smell of the wet dog because you love him/her-
I would not think light over this problem. You really should not do this if you have not tried it in winter conditions before leaving for the camino: Walking for days in cold and rain, with dog and tent. I am pretty sure you will reconsider. You will not be able to keep your clothes and sleeping-bag dry.
I don't know if your dog is all year round outside but Galicia will be a challenge in December: for the animal. Consider all the rain. The dog will probably be wet a lot of days...and has no chance to get dry in a warm environment. If normally at home next to a heating source...it will even be a risk for the dog's health.
In case of snow and ice...this will be no fun for the dog. Walking for a couple of hours in winter, the dog will enjoy...but for days I wonder. His or her feet will be hurt, without any doubt. Snow will get frozen on his feet.
And last but not least...the spanish dogs! We were attacked in Belgium this year by a farmers dog because we had our dog with us. I never had an encounter with an agressive dog like this. I am not afraid at all for dogs, but this situation....I would not like to repeat it in Spain in a remote area. It can be very dangerous. For you and for the dog. Or do you step back and watch your dog fighting? Which would be the safest for you....once dogs are fighting your walking stick is no longer of any help. It increases the agression of the dog who wants to fight with your dog. He will not walk away in such situation. He will go nuts...

I wonder why not taking a shorter break to walk without the dog? After that experience of walking in winter you can still decide to take the dog for a next walk.....in another winter.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply Marian, there is some usefull info in there and we are aware that dogs cannot ride the bus in Spain. But when I walked the camino last year, it rained only a few days, do you think it is going to rain/snow that much during the winter? And do you know if there are many places where we can shelter if it would rain? Aren't most dogs attached, especially the aggressive onces? And Lewis is a very submissive dog. We really feel like we want to take on this challenge and like I said for a good cause. Cheers.

It takes some time to read, but you can get a lot of feel for dogs in the winter in Spain from KayBee's blog above. She had a very hard time finding shelter, and spent a lot of nights in a tent on church porches. She did not find a lot of charitable attitude along the way, though there might have been some attitude on all sides; she was very angry when her dog was not admitted into the cathedral at the end. She was much more convinced that her dog was human than the Spanish!

I have encountered at least one unrestrained angry dog on every camino. How such a dog will react to another dog compared to a pilgrim armed with trekking poles is anyone's guess!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Although I am a dog lover and a winter camino enthusiast, I don't know I can add much to this thread but I do have a story.

About 8 years ago, I walked from Pamplona to Leon in December. Around Burgos I was having a very low energy day and was feeling quite lonely. I stopped for a coffee and a few tapas to refuel. When I walked out of the bar, I met a Spanish guy who was walking with his dog "Lobo". He was a very well trained German Shepard. I spent alot of time petting Lobo and we walked into Burgos together. With the good company, I did not even notice all the asphalt and ugly industrial buildings.

When we got to Burgos we stayed at an albuerge. It was just the two of us. The hospitalero explanined that Lobo had to sleep outside. No problem. The three of us spent the night drinking scotch and telling stories. I went to bed and they continued on. When I got up in the morning Lobo was sleeping in the albergue lobby. The hospitalero woke up to bid me farewell. He also gave me a beautiful scallop shell painted by developmentally disabled kids in town - gold stars on a blue field. I pet Lobo for the final time and started off accompanied by a light snow fall.

One of the hightlights of all my camino experiences.

I was not able to connect to the internet lately, but I am glad I did look at the forum today. Thanks for sharing the story Jeff. A very beautiful and inspiring one. We believe our dog is ready and can bring happyness in the life of others just like you describe. We are near Pamplona and are waiting for a package from our sponsor to start walking. We are going to support a good cause with our Camino. An organization in Belgium that gives young criminals a chance to start over by walking the camino starting in Belgium for 4 months. We can't wait to be out there. And i guess it is like as in everything in life, live it from the perspective of fear or love. We choose the latter.

Thinking a day or so ahead , The Albergue in Puenta la Riena has enclosed grounds where you can put up your tent.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That is one lucky dog. My dogs have all wanted to go and are pissed off when they get left behind. Most dogs love the cold, love new trails, love to be included. Mine have carried their own gear and much of mine on other trips, and they howl with excitement when they see their packs come out.

Do the dog and everyone else on the road a favor; leave the dog at home.

Not everyone shares your enthusiasm for dogs.

You won't likely get much rain till Galacia. Once there you will definately have a wet (and cow shit dirty) dog because it rains often and it rains hard.

I'd call taking a dog on the camino an abuse of an animal.

whariwharangi said:
Too late Bud , they should be around Estella right now. :arrow:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
whariwharangi said:

Time and place. Maybe the Camino is a holiday rather than a pilgrimage for some.
Leave the pets at home, like the rest of us do.

falcon269 said:
Maybe the Camino is a holiday
That is a bad thing, or just a different thing? :D

Just a different thing. :)
I am due to go on my pilgrimage by way of the original intention. I just see many many comments where the mood changes in the last 100kms. In the end, I have been to many places in my time and have found it's all about what you make of things yourself, not what others make it for you.
It's all good :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The negative comments here amaze me. I have done quite a few long cross country ski trips with dogs. They love them. There is plenty of room on the Camino for a good dog and a skilled winter camper. My first Camino I set up a tent in many places without a single negative comment from the locals. They will be even more supportive in the winter.

Keep us informed, Flap, and give the dog a belly rub from me!

I just see many many comments where the mood changes in the last 100kms.
One thing I found on the Camino was that my mood was 100% under my control. The weather, the food, the terrain, other pilgrims, snorers, rhinoviruses, dirty pots and pans, upper bunks, bed bugs, family, work, politics, etc. were all beyond my control. But ME? That I was in control of. It was a very comforting discovery.

Nothing can ruin my last 100 km. Nothing (except me)!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jubilado said:
I'd say that if anyone wants a 'holiday' on the Camino it's good.
Agreed!

For some reason, I have thought a lot about my comments and those of others today.
My pilgrimage is to switch off from all the death I see in my line of work. To re-centre/ground, so to speak.
I recant my comments, as I am sure, everyone has their reasons for walking "the way"
I am spiritual and not religious, per-say.
To any whom I may have perturbed by my comments, I apologise. It's an example of why I am wanting to switch off and just do something for myself for a change, rather than doing things for others all the time.
In saying that, I will still have my med kit just incase :)
Once again, apologies.
As for the dogs(The original post) I guess we all think of the non-stop barking type which drives us all mad. I am sure, people would not bring yappy dogs like that.
Maybe, I could be well served by patting one along the way. :)
Warm regards to all

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Jubilado said:
Maybe, I could be well served by patting one along the way. :)
Warm regards to all

When I walked the Dragonte route the barking dogs warmed me of my fellow walkers with their barking, whom I was trying to catch up too. I stopped to shelter from the snow & have a bite to eat, one of the local dogs joined me & we had a snack & a chat together :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D
& then went our separate ways(we didn't do any patting).

Buen Camino

I walked the camino del Norte alone last year. It was one of the best experiences in my life. It is like facing a mirror everyday, it comes into your life at the moment it is needed and it is a reflection of how you live your life. Based on that I can only say that there must be a reason why we are here in Pamplona in wintertime with our dog. I don't want to force the camino into something it is not. Sure we could make it easy and get rid of our dog for a month and wait until march or april to start, but like I said it would not feel right and be right.

We have been traveling with our dog through Europe for 3 months now on a very tight budget (20 euro per day for the 3 of us together). The way we get around is by longboarding, walking and hitchhiking. These are our only ways of transportation. We use the couchsurfing network to find a place to sleep, use our tent or get invited by random people we meet along the way. They never have a problem with Lewis, in fact it is the other way around. A lot of the times we get picked up because of him and I have learned from experience that dog lovers are kind people, so only positif news there. If we would leave him behind at this moment in our lives it just wouldn't be right.

We are waiting for a package with clothes from our sponsor and that is the only reason we didn't start walking just yet. Normally it should arrive somewhere next week but because of the holidays you never know. fingers crossed.

We have decided that trough walking this Camino we want to raise funds for Alba, a Belgian organization that helps young delinquent adults who deserve a second chance. They change the lives of these people by walking the camino from Belgium in 4 months with a guide and need a big budget to complete this challenge. Until last year they got a budget from our government, but that is finished now. So we have created a project on a crowdfunding site to help them.You can read the details on https://4just1.com/project/263.

Please spread the word.
Thanks to everyone who can help us or has helped us along the way.

Ps: Walking the camino for30 days our more is always a spiritual voyage.

@Jackflap, Does your dog have a pack? if so, can you post a picture.
Can it bark in Spanish?
I am taking a lightweight tent as well, how did camping work out. I am doing it as an alternative to the hostels every night.
Good luck with your donation hunting :)
I am starting Mid April now as it seems to be less rainy. I also want to avoid the main crowds in Summer.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
One unforgettable memory of a dog on the Camino springs to mind after reading this post. In one of the small villages after Sarria I saw a dog in the main street wriggling on its back and whimpering. I thought it was taking a dust bath but as I approached it got up and I saw that almost its entire back was bare. It must have had mange and have been in constant agony.

max44 said:
I am taking a lightweight tent as well, how did camping work out. I am doing it as an alternative to the hostels every night.
Good luck with your donation hunting :)
I am starting Mid April now as it seems to be less rainy. I also want to avoid the main crowds in Summer.
Max, my brother (who lives in Oz) and I started our camino on 20th April this year, on his advice we both took tents hoping to camp out whenever possible. April/May was very wet this year so we ended up posting them home from Pamplona and glad we did. There were very few places we saw that had camping facilities, also after a long wet days walking the last thing we wanted to do was try and set up a small tent and then negotiate washing, drying etc. There is plenty room in the hostels at that time of year so my advice for what its worth is save yourself a few kilos and a lot of grief and forget the tent.
Have a great camino. :arrow:

@max Yes he has a dogpack, when we put it on him he is a very proud dog and stays very close to our side, I guess he feels that he belongs to the group more like that.
We have been in Spain for a month now, so his Spanish barks are getting quite good... He is actually becoming a multi linguist (like his bosses) :wink:
We didn't start yet with our Camino, but we will keep you informed about ou camping experiences.
Mid april is a good plan to start, indeed less crowdy and not too warm or too cold. But like I said, the camino always comes in your life at the right time, never too late, nor too early.

Attachments

• dogpack.jpg
    dogpack.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,682
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good to see the dog gets to carry a pack. Traditionally, the Great Pyrenees was used in Spain to carry goods over the mountains and avoid the toll roads and customs. We had a Great Pyrenees in Colorado and he loved backpacking. Stood very still and proud when he was saddled up.

We have gotten our package and will start the camino tomorrow. So excited. Thanks for all your advice and a buen camino 2013!

We met some lovely young people on the camino with their dog. It was most well behaved, and slept outside.
The funniest thing though was that they walked so fast, the poor dog could not keep up, and so they transported it on a trolley, like a shopping trolley ! They all seemed perfectly happy with the arrangement.

I am taking a dog suit. And will stand next to a spare trolley.. Being carried and lots of belly rubs sounds like a great Camino trip

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Haha lol Max, your name is a good start...

So Status update after 3 days camino: 6 blisters, 3 sunny days, 3 freezing nights, 3 amazing walks and days! Btw today we tought it was only 20k, turned out to be 30!! Long day...
So far no dog problems, he is tired today tho, but so are we.
Tomorrow logrono.
Check the pics on facebook/jackflapcommunity if you want.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Status after 7 days:

Blisters: gone
Sunny days: 7
Cold days: 2
Sick: 1, Valerie
Albergues: 2 allowed us to sleep in a seperate space with our dog
Loose friendly spanish dogs: 5
Attached barking dogs: 20
Lewis is having more fun without his backpack...

Blog soon to follow.

Keep an eye on those footpads to make sure they're not getting cracked, raw, blistered, frost bit, or any number of things.

Also if you need a veterinarian, there's several along the Camino just on the route itself.

Blogposts The camino winter diaries - http://www.jackflap.com/blog
Challenges in the second week.
The weather: snow rain storm mud and more
Bed bugs...
Norovirus

But loving every minute of the camino and so is Lewis.

How great to have your updates, and what a camino you are having :D
You are an inspiration .
Buen camino :arrow:

Santiago!! We made it! What a journey it has been.
We will write an update on our blog very soon, but one thing is for sure Lewis enjoyed the way a lot as did most of the fellow pilgrims and they enjoyed him.
And it doesn't always rain in Galicia. We had 1,5 days of rain so far in Galicia.
We always found a solution to the challenges when needed, it is a bit like life: "search and you will find"
Such a beautiful experience during the camino in wintertime. I would recommend it to anyone.
Cheers

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back