• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weight fanaticism

Chaplainjeff

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2013)
Hi I'm Jeff from the Sacramento area of California and I've really enjoyed reading these posts as I prepare for my Camino commencing 5-24-13 from Roncesvalles. I've been training for the last few months and just yesterday crossed the 500 mile total in 62 walks. The 8 mile average is skewed low by the many shorter walks in Jan and Feb. I've walked many 11-13 mile days and as far as 20 miles, on varying terrain. For the last 6 weeks or so I've been carrying about 30lbs in my backpack. I figured if I walked heavy when I got to the Camino my actual weight of 20-22 lbs would be a breeze. BTW, I'm 6' 3" and weigh about 205 (having lost more than 20lbs training!).
Anyway, I've gotten very comfortable with the weight and even did 5 heavy days of walking totaling about 75 miles, to make sure I could do it every day.
Yesterday I read of a man who walks 30-40 miles per day carrying 35lbs. He's a transcontinental walker. Here's the link to the article http://m.sacbee.com/sacramento/db_/cont ... d=hR514F41
So I'm curious when I read posts about being concerned to take a guidebook because it might be 50 grams over the goal weight. I just don't understand the obsession with a few ounces.
BTW I'll turn 60 the day I hope to arrive in Santiago (God willing).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Take all you want. Only you has to carry it. I just threw away may sleeping bag on the Le Puy route...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Carry all the weight you want. But walking 20 plus kilometers per day for six weeks straight, carrying items that are absolutely unnecessary may change your point of view. I look forward to hearing back from you AFTER your Camino. :p

I have met some regular backpackers who carry more weight comfortably. But most of us aren't used to the extra weight and a few ounces can make a big difference.

Please don't shoot the 'weight watchers' – many of us may not be in your league. I for one is certainly not. So for some of us – maybe older than you or maybe not in a perfect physical shape – cutting any grams from the weight we are carrying - even a guidebook may add up on the total. We will have to be very careful about our priorities about what we will be carrying – day after day.

It is great that you think that you will be comfortable with carrying 30 lbs a day – day after day. However, I cannot help wondering which items you feel the need to bring that will get your weight up this high? But each to his own.

Personally I aimed at a starting weight (without food and water) under 6 kg, and even then chose to ditch a few items along the way which I found I did not need after all – and without feeling any loss about those.

Buen camino, Annelise

Chaplainjeff said:
I just don't understand the obsession with a few ounces.
Perhaps because this is the territory of the straw that broke the camel's back, and those of us who have walked know how easy it is to add one thing, then another, at just a few ounces. It doesn't take long before you need a larger pack (more weight) which will both slow you down and tire you out.

I had a look at the news article you referred to, and it you didn't quite get all the important bits. I have emphasised at least one important bit you missed:
Carrying a 35-pound backpack, he walks 30 to 40 miles a day – usually over 14 to 16 hours on paved highways.
This last bit doesn't sound anything like a camino to me, more like ultra-marathon walking. He is also camping, which is not necessary on the Camino, adding a couple of kg to the weight he will be carrying. Might I suggest that using an example like this, which is at the extreme on many levels, is a very poor guide to what normal pilgrims could reasonably expect to achieve. We are not marathon men or women, don't want to walk several hours in the dark, are not going to carry a tent and cooking equipment and are not doing this for a living.

As others have said, you carry what you want. My experience and observation is that the first few days will sort out in your mind what is really essential for the remainder of the walk, and what could be posted ahead or home, or just left behind.

Regards,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am not at all a weight fanatic but on my last Camino I decided to 'keep it light". I imagine I was 5-7 pounds lighter than my first Camino in 2003. Did I miss all my stuff? Not at all. It's really quite amazing how little I actually needed to walk the Camino. As I often tell people, you need clothes to walk in and the clothes you wear when you are not walking.

With all that said, I did end up buying a jacket and gloves as Spain had a cold Spring last year (but it was nothing compared to this year compared to some of the post on the Forum).

I think the lower weight helped me enjoy the experience and I gained a greater appreciation for my 2 pair of quick dry underwear!!!

Jeff

Chaplainjeff said:
... I just don't understand the obsession with a few ounces.

I don't know if I am "obsessed" with ounces, or better said grams, as I am in Europe ;-) but I do know from past experience that a few ounces / grams here and another few there quickly add up to pounds and kilos. Which, as others have already said, you will have to carry every single day, SY

I think that it's a matter of proportion to your own body weight. I am 192cm tall [6ft 4"] and weigh about 118Kg. My pack weighs 10.5Kg and I honestly cannot feel it when training.

I'm not leaving for my Camino until October, so I will be losing some more weight by them, so frankly, a few grams here or there do not really matter.

cheers

Alex

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
To each their own.

I'll be trying to keep the weight my mum is carrying down as much as possible and helping her with some if necessary because she has hip problems, so I don't want her in any discomfort if we can avoid it.

It's not "fanatacism", it's wanting to make sure you're comfortable and not causing unnecessary stress on your body. It's making sure you can complete the walk to the best of your ability. For my mum, this is a religious pilgrimage, it's not just for the fit and able-bodied. She's also very short, so she won't be able to carry the same size pack that a 6ft male can, and hence, not as much stuff.

Weight may not be a concern for some, but it can be the end of the Camino for others, so asking if certain things are necessary along the Camino is an important function of the forum, I feel. Better to be able to make an informed decision rather than find out the hard way that you don't need all the things you brought with you.

I think Anniesantiago put it best - see how the OP feels when (if) he's completed the camino carrying all that lot.....
From one who is definitely "obsessed" with reducing the load carried. :)

I am planning my third Camino and are very keen to reduce my backpack weight more For me, knees and hips have enough to carry already. But the most important ... it's part of the journey, not be dependent of things ... live simply and take chances .. let go
To being aware of what we really need, it's a part of the inner journey on the camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What I can plan at home I will plan and what will happen during the Camino will happen.

The weight issue is definitely something that can be planned - f.ex. two pair of shorts, 145 grams or 175 grams that´s an easy choice (30 grams to something else). These kind of choices can be done while packing, some grams here and some grams there will end up in kg/kgs. With this reduction you will be kind to your body and you will be able to add whatever you need in your packing while walking the Camino without collapsing under your burden.

I´m right now in the end of my packing-adventure and it seems that I will end somewhere between 6 and 6,5 kgs just by thinking before and choosing between. At least I know that I´ve done what I could in this issue, that also means that I can meet the surprises, joy and problems to 100%.

Fanaticism perhaps, but it´s my back and my knees...

20 days until the first step :D

// Jan

Please nobody shoot me but.

Personally I see a certain negative spiral. People are told they need the lowest weight possible. So they pick a backpack that's light. Some times they pick good light packs. A few pick light weight packs not suited for long hikes.

When they load up the pack with a reasonable weight they find it's not supportive enough or maybe has other issues. This leads them to believe the load is too heavy. Leading to more weight cutting.

If after wearing your pack with a reasonable weight (NB I'm NOT suggesting over packing) you find sore shoulders,back or other issues in addition to throwing things out of the pack ask if it's the pack you should change.

Any major pack company will have a customer support department. Email them and ask what sort of weight the pack is intended to carry.

I'm still NOT suggesting over packing.

I am suggesting considering something fit for purpose.

NicoZ said:
Please nobody shoot me but.

Personally I see a certain negative spiral. People are told they need the lowest weight possible. So they pick a backpack that's light. Some times they pick good light packs. A few pick light weight packs not suited for long hikes.

When they load up the pack with a reasonable weight they find it's not supportive enough or maybe has other issues. This leads them to believe the load is too heavy. Leading to more weight cutting.

If after wearing your pack with a reasonable weight (NB I'm NOT suggesting over packing) you find sore shoulders,back or other issues in addition to throwing things out of the pack ask if it's the pack you should change.

Any major pack company will have a customer support department. Email them and ask what sort of weight the pack is intended to carry.

I'm still NOT suggesting over packing.

I am suggesting considering something fit for purpose.

Well spoken! :)

/ J

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Vicious circle. The more weight carried, the better/heavier the rucsac needed, giving yet more to carry.
If you're only taking 3 or 4 kilos, including water, then a rucsac weighing less than 100grms will be sufficient - no need for a heavier, framed pack.
But, yous are the ones carting all this stuff around, not me, so have at it. :)

for sure there is a need to carry more gear during the winter season than on the summer camino.

NicoZ said:
People are told they need the lowest weight possible. So they pick a backpack that's light. Some times they pick good light packs. A few pick light weight packs not suited for long hikes.

Alternatively, people make informed decisions based on previous experience. Being aware of keeping your weight down is generally a preference for anyone who does a lot of hiking, especially multi-day hiking.

Not everyone walking the Camino is a first time walker, and most people on here especially are here to get information so they can make informed decisions. No one is "told they need the lowest weight possible", it's suggested that people don't carry an uncomfortable load. And if you've spent any time on here at all you've surely seen the multitude of threads giving advice about good packs and reviews of others experiences with one or another.

There is plenty of advice also about trying on packs in store, preferably under load to see how it feels, etc.

I'm not sure what caused the initial poster to scoff at people asking about weight, but maybe there are things they need to learn from the Camino about judging others. Lurk around the forums a bit more and you'll see that people here give great, informed advice and usually many different perspectives on every issue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will come back and report within a week or so what the final result of my backpack weight.
I´m doing my best in preparing by choosing one item before another. I´m doing it for my own comfort or.... see it like a mental pre-therapy for my first Camino.

As long as I´m happy and satisfied I Think it will help me. But we´re all different....

"So I'm curious when I read posts about being concerned to take a guidebook because it might be 50 grams over the goal weight. I just don't understand the obsession with a few ounces."

Gee, I thought I just asked a question. I told my story and said I didn't understand something.
There have been some thoughtful, illuminating replies.
There have some that have been less kind.
Thank you to all.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Let me turn this question on its head and ask why would you want to carry more weight than you need?

Personally I think there are excellent reasons to shed pack weight, some of which are not obvious.

Firstly there are spiritual reasons. In the West we tend to believe that as long as we have the right piece of kit or the right possessions then we will be OK. We armour ourselves with a shell of possessions, some of which we use to distract ourselves, others we use to feel safe. It is of course a mistake to assume that our possessions can make us happy and safe, the Camino is an opportunity to try living with fewer possessions, only the most essential. Finding that we don't need to be prepared for EVERY eventuality, and that we can in fact depend on the kindness of strangers, can be a revelation.

Secondly the biomechanical reasons. Every bit of weight contributes to an unnatural way of walking that can injure us. It shifts our centre of gravity and increases the leverage our trunk exerts on our joints, so that if we turn an ankle or have a fall the damage is increased the heavier our pack is. A heavy pack also makes us unstable and more likely to injure ourselves. The heavier our pack then the more our feet suffer too, both with blisters and with other injuries. A pack that feels fine during training may become a liability when we are tired or have started to accrue the inevitable injuries from hiking for days or weeks on end.

Thirdly the aesthetic reasons, carrying less whilst having what you need is more satisfying because it is more challenging. Lastly carrying less means you are more comfortable physically, so you can enjoy the view and the comradeship of your fellow Pilgrims without being distracted by the sensations coming from your back and shoulders!

That was interesting Corwen.
Can you name a few things one can leave at home, and instead rely on the kindness of others?

A cell phone, an iPad , a laptop, alarm clocks, excessive guidebooks, pots and pans, cook stoves, extra shoes, sleep pads, pillows, headlamps and flashlights, full sized bottles and jars of shampoo, lotions, laundry detergent, hair dryers, makeup, hairspray, camp cups and plates, I've seen them all and are just a few things that could be left at home... :shock:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Chaplainjeff said:
"So I'm curious when I read posts about being concerned to take a guidebook because it might be 50 grams over the goal weight. I just don't understand the obsession with a few ounces."

Gee, I thought I just asked a question. I told my story and said I didn't understand something.
There have been some thoughtful, illuminating replies.
There have some that have been less kind.
Thank you to all.

yeah, but do you UNDERSTAND the obsession with reducing weight now, even if you don't subscribe to it?? :)
or, to put it another way, do you understand why others may not think like you do?

Anniesantiago said:
A cell phone, an iPad , a laptop, alarm clocks, excessive guidebooks, pots and pans, cook stoves, extra shoes, sleep pads, pillows, headlamps and flashlights, full sized bottles and jars of shampoo, lotions, laundry detergent, hair dryers, makeup, hairspray, camp cups and plates, I've seen them all and are just a few things that could be left at home... :shock:

Ok if you are walking camino frances I suppose there will be stuff which people left behind.
But if you are out walking in the remote areas there might be nothing, not even an albergue, or other pilgrims.
There one have to carry all things you need from the start, and can't count on that there will be nice people standing along the trail handing out hairspray or laptops. :wink:

Susannafromsweden said:
Anniesantiago said:

Ok if you are walking camino frances I suppose there will be stuff which people left behind.
But if you are out walking in the remote areas there might be nothing, not even an albergue, or other pilgrims.
There one have to carry all things you need from the start, and can't count on that there will be nice people standing along the trail handing out hairspray or laptops. :wink:

Susanna, do you think you'll need hairspay or a laptop on the Camino Madrid? I got by quite well without either......lol

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sojourner47 said:
Susannafromsweden said:
Anniesantiago said:

Susanna, do you think you'll need hairspay or a laptop on the Camino Madrid? I got by quite well without either......lol

:lol: well I haven't used hairspray since the 1980's, but I thought it might come in handy. If the balaclava guys with the kitchen knife turns up and wants to rob me. Makes their eyes itchy.

Lol!

Yeah, or a can of bright yellow spray paint. You could paint an arrow on their forehead!

Bottom line is everyone should carry what they want.
Some are able to manage with less than others.

Hi Jeff,

I am 57 and starting from Astorga on 19th May nearly 300 km so well over less than half the distance you are walking.
Like you I have been training similarly to yours and have lost over 30lbs over the last 12 months and having read John Brierly's Camino guide book(excellent publication and a must just for the daily maps) I learned that the less excess body weight you are carrying is more important than your back pack. In saying that he points out that your pack should not be in excess of 10kgs (22lbs)
I will be blogging the walk on: http://www.roryp.com - so I will be reporting on the back pacing element as I have never hiked any distance carrying weight!
Have a great Camino!!
Rory

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear OP,

May I respectfully point out that you did not merely ask a question. Firstly you used a very emotive word in the title: fanaticism. This was followed in the text of your message by the equally emotive "obsession". Your question may have been received as such if it had been phrased a little differently....perhaps something along the lines of "I am an older codger <insert your story here> who manages to carry a great amount of weight and over great distances. I don't understand why people want to shed an ounce here or there. Could someone please help me to understand"
This would show a willingness to learn and which would likely have elicited NO reactionary answers.

Kind regards

Thank you Rachel, "fanaticism" and "obsession" certainly might be triggers. I rarely engage in any online "communications due to the one dimension nature of the conversation. No tone, no inflection, no body language, no eye contact, an inability to ask a clarifying question in the moment. Far too vague and ambiguous for me. I agree that had I rephrased to more accurately reflect my confusion on the weight dilemma the thread most likely would have taken a different course.
Interesting to me the many assumptions made on the basis if those two words.

BTW "codger" for me carries negative connotations but I certainly accede to the noble intent of your posting.

Jeff

Chaplainjeff said:
Thank you Rachel, "fanaticism" and "obsession" certainly might be triggers. I rarely engage in any online "communications due to the one dimension nature of the conversation. No tone, no inflection, no body language, no eye contact, an inability to ask a clarifying question in the moment. Far too vague and ambiguous for me. I agree that had I rephrased to more accurately reflect my confusion on the weight dilemma the thread most likely would have taken a different course.
Interesting to me the many assumptions made on the basis if those two words.

BTW "codger" for me carries negative connotations but I certainly accede to the noble intent of your posting.

Jeff

Hola Jeff,
I didn't think there was anything wrong with your first post. I thought it was rather funny, actually.
(Maybe it's because English is not my first language :wink: )
I agree it's good to train a lot before the camino, and walk with the pack, too. Then you will know your limits.
Having said that, I do weigh everything in my pack because a) I can't carry too much, b) because its fun. An example of what I'm packing: I've bought a spork, but I'm not taking it, as its 10 grams. The Mc Flurry spoon is 3 grams but it stays at home too, as I've found a spoon which is 2 grams and smaller. ( :) ) And thanks to that, I can take an extra pack of painkillers (8grams) for my poor knees!

Happy light packing and Buen camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Susannafromsweden said:
Having said that, I do weigh everything in my pack because a) I can't carry too much, b) because its fun. An example of what I'm packing: I've bought a spork, but I'm not taking it, as its 10 grams. The Mc Flurry spoon is 3 grams but it stays at home too, as I've found a spoon which is 2 grams and smaller. ( :) ) And thanks to that, I can take an extra pack of painkillers (8grams) for my poor knees!

Susanna, have you drilled holes in the spoon handle? :)

Sojourner47 said:
Susannafromsweden said:

Susanna, have you drilled holes in the spoon handle? :)

:lol: :lol:
No. But thanks for reminding me!
Have to admit I was thinking of cutting off half of the Mc flurry spoon handle. It's a good spoon, but the handle is gigantic.

Chaplainjeff, I think this thread has been redeemed! Thank you for your gracious answer....and sincere apologies for any offense that could be taken with the word codger. I'm not sure whether I blame myself as a kiwi for not knowing the negative connotations or blame my British father-in-law who refers to every male in the world over the age of 60 as an old codger - and he's the most respectful person I know....either way, my slip-up is one of ignorance, and I apologise.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Laliibeans said:
NicoZ said:
People are told they need the lowest weight possible. So they pick a backpack that's light. Some times they pick good light packs. A few pick light weight packs not suited for long hikes.

Alternatively, people make informed decisions based on previous experience. Being aware of keeping your weight down is generally a preference for anyone who does a lot of hiking, especially multi-day hiking.

Not everyone walking the Camino is a first time walker, and most people on here especially are here to get information so they can make informed decisions. No one is "told they need the lowest weight possible", it's suggested that people don't carry an uncomfortable load. And if you've spent any time on here at all you've surely seen the multitude of threads giving advice about good packs and reviews of others experiences with one or another.

There is plenty of advice also about trying on packs in store, preferably under load to see how it feels, etc.

I'm not sure what caused the initial poster to scoff at people asking about weight, but maybe there are things they need to learn from the Camino about judging others. Lurk around the forums a bit more and you'll see that people here give great, informed advice and usually many different perspectives on every issue.

Lallibeans,
Great post

Valinsky said:
I will come back and report within a week or so what the final result of my backpack weight.
I´m doing my best in preparing by choosing one item before another. I´m doing it for my own comfort or.... see it like a mental pre-therapy for my first Camino.

As long as I´m happy and satisfied I Think it will help me. But we´re all different....

It finally ended at 6.1 kgs, incl. backpack excl. water.
Fanaticism or carrying preparation? - well I don´t know......
But as I wrote in my last mail here above - I´m happy, I´m satisfied, this will help me, we´re all different (so even I).

I´ll be down in Logroño starting within a week and I´m really looking forward to meet as many as possible of you on my/our way towards SdC.

See you and good luck with everything.

:arrow: // Jan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back