• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

West Australian on Camino Portuguese

camino07

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances x5, Portuguese VdlP12, Sanabres, Aragones, Norte,Salvador,Primitivo, VdlP 17,Madrid18Norte
Hi guys
This is a great idea . I would be happy to talk to any members from WA or anywhere.
I have walked the Camino Frances twice, in 2007 and 2009 and this year will start walking from Lisbon on 1st September. Would love to know if any Antipodeans are walking around then.
Also any advice on hotel/hostel in Lisbon where I can start to get over my jetlag for two nights.
I look forward to future Camino get togethers as they do in Canada and the States.
Heather

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Re: camino portuguese

Hi Heather, would love to hear about your walk from Lisbon, it is on my list of future walks? Gitti

Hi Heather,
We walked from Lisboa to Santiago last year and started on 5th September after 3 nights in Lisboa. We stayed at The Living Lounge Hostel which was in a good location, Baixo Chiado, and was around the corner from the church where we picked up our credencial. It was 22 euros per person which was for bed and breakfast.
We have 2 friends who will be walking from Porto to Santiago in September. That will make it 8 people from our very small town who have walked the Camino in the last 3 years.
Bom Caminho
Sharon

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

There are a number of cheap / good pensions around the Lisbon Cathedral, while we haven't done this walk - yet - we have done a few sections and scoped it out... we are crossing our fingers that the weather holds out in November when we are planning on doing this walk (doesn't look good). As a lot of the route from Lisbon to Porto is road based I'd advise putting some reflective tape (or those strips cyclists use on their ankles) as walking in the gloom / early morning means walking along narrow road edges which can be dicey. May look a geek but its best to keep visable, while we've not been hit we have met other pilgrims that were not so lucky.

LIsbon has many nice hostels. The main youth hostel in town is clean, but VERY noisy! It is built in an "O" shape and the noise from the entry just travels up the center like crazy! But it is very convenient. I've stayed there two different years... both times were very noisy.

The secondary hostel is on the shore, and is very nice, but quite a walk into town. I stayed there in 2006. We enjoyed it very much, much more peaceful.

There are several really nice pensiones up on the hills near the Castle San Jorge. I think we paid $35 Euro for two people ensuite a few years back. The surrounding grounds are beautiful and many little coffee shops and winding streets to get lost in.

If you have 2 days, consider going to Sintra on the train. It is a short 45 minute ride, and the hostel there is lovely and small. I have fond memories of arriving to a fire in the fireplace and lute music in the background. There are fantastical sites to see and Sintra is beautiful and peaceful, compared to the business of Lisbon.

Will you be walking to Fatima? It's really nice, also, as is Obados, a medieval walled city. So much to see in Portugal.. I just love it!

Be sure to eat sardinhas on the river in Oporto! There is a lady cooking them fresh on a grill. Best dinner ever! And if you're lucky, you'll hit the farmer's market there... many beautiful birds and lots of good produce!

Take care on the Portuguese Camino, however. The streets are VERY narrow and dangerous. No place to walk except in the street. Consider tying a bright cloth to your walking poles to hold up when you're walking around curved roads so oncoming cars can see you. Stay alert.

Most of all, have fun!
Buen Camino!

If you want to see Lisbon, I highly recommend the Museum of the Coaches which is unlike anything you'll see in the United States! It has some spectacular coaches that were driven before automobiles, and is worth the visit. Be sure to try one of the 150+ ways the Portuguese cook bacalau!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back