Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is Oviedo like on a Sunday?

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
Hello,

I was planning to give myself a full rest day in Oviedo to experience the city and see some sites before I begin the Primitivo.

Are most establishments and sites open on Sundays?

I’ll probably do my rest day on a Sunday or Monday.

Thank you,

Mike

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would say most things will be open. This could be a good reference

Oviedo, in my view, is a wonderful town and a joy to explore. Definitely worth a full day. I've been there 4 times now at the beginning / end of various caminos - and would go back in a heartbeat. A true gem.

Enjoy!

I love Oviedo, too! You mention possibly taking a rest day on a Monday. Just be aware that museums are generally closed on Mondays. I have missed out a few times over the years by arriving in a town or city only to find those "gems" closed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I love Oviedo, too! You mention possibly taking a rest day on a Monday. Just be aware that museums are generally closed on Mondays. I have missed out a few times over the years by arriving in a town or city only to find those "gems" closed.
That's a good point - I'm more of a wanderer around the town, so didn't think of that. I'm sure you'll be able to easily to find out what's open and what's not on a Sunday and Monday. Either way I think you will discover many gems inside and outside!

I've found in Oviedo each time we've been there that 'the show is in the street'. They do seem to like a party. Last time I was there - there was not one but two weddings in the cathedral. The whole town, if not invited, seemed to join in. Wonderful.

Mike, Monday is almost invariably a bad day for a rest day if you hope to visit museums, art galleries etc. anywhere in Spain. Oviedo is an outstanding place for a rest day - the cathedral and its small museum, the nearby fine arts museum, the old town, various palaces and, a little further away, several ancient churches. Too much for a single day, in fact. But not on Mondays! The Tourist Information links given above are a must. Buen Camino. Tom

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Twice, I spent a few days in Oviedo, and enjoyed it very much! Both times I stayed with air b n b hosts who were wonderful! And, oddly enough, since I'm not much of a museum person, I absolutely loved the museum in the cathedral both times! If one is able to get to the top of Monte Naranco, DO IT!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Thanks to those of you who have wished me Buen Camino pm! My plan was Salvador/Prim, but 1) cold feet because of a knee (old injury) and 2) would have to rush with no possibilty of short/rest...
We are arriving in Madrid on May 5th. I went online today to purchase train tickets to Oviedo and it doesn't show any train service. Does that mean the trains are sold out? Or maybe some other...
Hi, has anyone walked the Primitivo in mid-October? What was it like? Weather, tracks and accommodation? I plan to walk from Oviedo to Lugo only, then bus to Santiago after. Thanks for your input.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.