• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What lens or lenses did you used most if you carried a DSLR or mirrorless camera?

stewinyvr

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ( Future )
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me.
For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find you used the most?

I will be walking from SJPP to SdC.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well I didn't take a DSLR, so not technically allowed to answer this, but. . .

It is the vista's, they are beautiful, so probably a 16-35 is going to be your best friend with a bit of wiggle room. But then you maybe want to try and get some portraits of other pilgrims. . .So like everything with photography, one lens seldom ticks all the boxes.

But, have you considered how you will safeguard your camera when staying in Albergues (for instance when you shower)? The very camera you have been advertising to all other passing pilgrims (authentic or not) when using it along the way?

If you are not traveling alone, or not staying in Albegues then ignore me.

Well I didn't take a DSLR, so not technically allowed to answer this, but. . .

It is the vista's, they are beautiful, so probably a 16-35 is going to be your best friend with a bit of wiggle room. But then you maybe want to try and get some portraits of other pilgrims. . .So like everything with photography, one lens seldom ticks all the boxes.

But, have you considered how you will safeguard your camera when staying in Albergues (for instance when you shower)? The very camera you have been advertising to all other passing pilgrims (authentic or not) when using it along the way?

If you are not traveling alone, or not staying in Albegues then ignore me.
Thanks Dave - your insight is valuable, I was thinking vistas, people and some close up will be my main subjects. I am currently debating between 24-70 or just my 50mm, but I think the flexibility of the zoom will win out over it's additional weight.
Regarding security, it is for sure a concern, I will be treating my camera like my passport and wallet - with me at all times.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me.
For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find you used the most?

Buen Camino
On my earlier Caminos I had a small Fuji with a telephoto lens. But, on the last two I upgraded to the Canon M50 (mirrorless) it comes with a small telephoto, but I use EOS 18-150, it handles all occasions.

Thanks Dave - your insight is valuable, I was thinking vistas, people and some close up will be my main subjects. I am currently debating between 24-70 or just my 50mm, but I think the flexibility of the zoom will win out over it's additional weight.
Regarding security, it is for sure a concern, I will be treating my camera like my passport and wallet - with me at all times.
Well it has to be the 24-70 over the 50.

I'm not sure of your experience of Albergues, but they seldom have secure storage for the like, and advice is always to carry valuables with you at all times.

You may get funny/alarmed looks taking a camera into the shower with you.

Although I have to say I only ever once felt a little uneasy leaving my phone charging when not around etc, but it's a gamble.

Ah the eternal conundrum

So far I haven’t been able to justify the extra weight of a body, even a single prime, a charger and a spare battery…but there are times when I have missed it. When and if I do change my stance, I think I might just take a 28mm prime..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tbf I would have loved to have taken my camera, but, I think all of the negatives outweigh the positives. If you have a decent phone (mine some Sony Xperia thing) then 99% of the time it is going to suffice for what you want/need. Sure, there were times when I would have killed for my DSLR, but not enough to justify lugging it over the 500 miles given what you would actually ever use the photos for.

Buen Camino
Last year on my CP I brought my tiny Sony ZV-E10 with the kit-lens 16-50mm.
Amazing little camera and excellent images.

Tbf I would have loved to have taken my camera, but, I think all of the negatives outweigh the positives. If you have a decent phone (mine some Sony Xperia thing) then 99% of the time it is going to suffice for what you want/need. Sure, there were times when I would have killed for my DSLR, but not enough to justify lugging it over the 500 miles given what you would actually ever use the photos for.

I know I know. I need a camera sherpa, that would be the ticket

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a few different stills and video cameras at home that I use for work stuff.
No expert at all! I mainly shoot simple videos with them in a studio.
But I couldn't justify carrying the extra weight.
At one stage I thought about getting a small camera like the Sony RX100?

In the end I have found the quality of phone Cameras now, makes the decision easy.
My phone is in my pocket and is easy to just pull out and shoot.
It shoots 4k video. I have a small mic to plug in as required.

I have a few manual control apps on it, to allow for much greatr camera control, but frankly rarely use those.
So I try to make do with what I have, recognising it's limitations.

Who said "the best camera to take is the one that will be easiest for you to use"

But I recognise that 'pros' might prefer to carry all the good gear.
There is stuff you just can't do with a phone camera! (so I just don't do them)

One of the best Camino videos I watched prior to my first Camino, was OverlanderTV on youtube.
He carried 18 kg of gear!
I couldn't..........

Last edited:
Well it has to be the 24-70 over the 50.

I'm not sure of your experience of Albergues, but they seldom have secure storage for the like, and advice is always to carry valuables with you at all times.

You may get funny/alarmed looks taking a camera into the shower with you.

Although I have to say I only ever once felt a little uneasy leaving my phone charging when not around etc, but it's a gamble.
:) - I would be sure to keep it in a dry bag when taking to shower, just to not alarm anyone..I actually realized as well that I still have my old 70D, so I think I will take this one instead..then if there are any sticky fingers it would be less of a loss.

I have a few different stills and video cameras at home that I use for work stuff.

In the end I have found the quality of phone Cameras now, makes the decision easy.

I have a few manual control apps on it, to allow for much greatr camera control, but frankly rarely use those.

Who said "the best camera to take is the one that will be easiest for you to use"

One of the best Camino videos I watched prior to my first Camino, was OverlandetTV on youtube.
I couldn't..........
I couldn't carry 18kg back from the store let alone all the way across Spain :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am somehow a "pro" and if I feel the urge to get "serious" on a Camino I would just bring a combo of my Alpha 7R3, my Tamron 2.0-2.8/35-150mm, my Tamron 2,8/17-28 and a fluidheaded videotripod and some microphones.
In total that would add 6.5kg of load to my back, more than doubling the load I normally carry on a Camino.

But I am not on a Camino to work ;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Since you have to ask this question, then it shows that you do not know how to uses a dSLR or mirrorless camera. It's almost as silly as the question, "What exposure settings should I use for Spain?"

I'd suggest that you take something simpler to use and lighter to carry.

-Paul

Just curious.

What type of photos are you planning to take with your DSLR?
To be honest whatever pleases my eye. Whenever I go on a trip I try to capture the atmosphere of the place I am visiting. This typically ends up being a mixture of close up photography, people, landscape and nature..

Since you have to ask this question, then it shows that you do not know how to uses a dSLR or mirrorless camera. It's almost as silly as the question, "What exposure settings should I use for Spain?"

-Paul
Hi Paul - that is an interesting and incorrect assumption to jump to, I have been a successful photographer for more than 25 years :) My question was aimed at minimizing the equipment that I am potentially carrying. I have not walked the camino before, so the feedback from fellow photographers who have walked is useful for narrowing down my options. For example, I could potentially bring my 70-200 with me, but if others have done something similar, and subsequently found that they used it less than expected, then maybe I will forego the weight.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As a professional photographer who has won many awards my advice is simple' Use the camera that has made me rich and famous: ;)

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 3
His film is really good. You should check it out.
Thanks for sharing, I watched this last night, I loved the presenters approach of presenting the rough with the smooth, and the fact that he was some matter of fact, rather than being overdramatic.. Thanks for the recommendation.

-Paul
Hi Paul - that is an interesting and incorrect assumption to jump to, I have been a successful photographer for more than 25 years :) My question was aimed at minimizing the equipment that I am potentially carrying. I have not walked the camino before, so the feedback from fellow photographers who have walked is useful for narrowing down my options. For example, I could potentially bring my 70-200 with me, but if others have done something similar, and subsequently found that they used it less than expected, then maybe I will forego the weight.

Nice response @stewinyvr :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The lense with the best range would be my guess. I know I will walk a camino one day and ship my pack and keep my camera and day bag with me so that's what I would advise somebody to do..

As for looking after valuables in albergues... same advice as I always give.. keep your good stuff on you at all times... passport, money , phone etc. If that means a small to medium size camera bag goes with you... thats fine

Theft is rare, don't let the outliers with their sensationalist news reports make you worry more than you need to.

The lense with the best range would be my guess. I know I will walk a camino one day and ship my pack and keep my camera and day bag with me so that's what I would advise somebody to do..

As for looking after valuables in albergues... same advice as I always give.. keep your good stuff on you at all times... passport, money , phone etc. If that means a small to medium size camera bag goes with you... thats fine

Theft is rare, don't let the outliers with their sensationalist news reports make you worry more than you need to.
Thanks for the input, you thinking is very much along the same lines as my own.. :)

To be honest whatever pleases my eye. Whenever I go on a trip I try to capture the atmosphere of the place I am visiting. This typically ends up being a mixture of close up photography, people, landscape and nature..
I think I would use a medium range zoom, 18 to 70mm or thereabout on a half frame camera, no need for a very large aperture as long as you are prepared to use flash inside. Nice to have prime lenses but you need to decide the objective of your journey, photos or other. Or just take a compact which will have a similar range zoom ( I wonder why?) Or "ahem" your phone. Because camera + lens + charger is a significant extra weight. Or I might take my Voightlander TLR film, you know, 120 12 exposures, camera just to annoy all the pundits who are being dogmatic. What's more I would use my phone as an exposure meter. Unless I could find a really nice vintage selenium cell meter. That actually worked.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This will be my fourth Camino. On my first, I used a Fujifilm X100F, on my second I used a Canon G9X and on my third I used my Google Pixel cell phone. Yes, a lighter camera each Camino.

However, on this Camino in addition to a pilgrimage in Spain I will be walking The Saints Way in Cornwall. This has motivated me to bring my Canon RP and I am leaning toward bringing the Canon 24-50mm f/4.6-6.3. This lens provides the range that I need for landscapes. In addition, I will use the Peak Design Capture Clip (https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/clips/products/capture) to attach my camera to my backpack/rucksack shoulder strap.

I think I would use a medium range zoom, 18 to 70mm or thereabout on a half frame camera, no need for a very large aperture as long as you are prepared to use flash inside. Nice to have prime lenses but you need to decide the objective of your journey, photos or other. Or just take a compact which will have a similar range zoom ( I wonder why?) Or "ahem" your phone. Because camera + lens + charger is a significant extra weight. Or I might take my Voightlander TLR film, you know, 120 12 exposures, camera just to annoy all the pundits who are being dogmatic. What's more I would use my phone as an exposure meter. Unless I could find a really nice vintage selenium cell meter. That actually worked.
I like your style :) Seeing a voigtlander on the road would be great. I am certainly leaning towards my medium tele for the trip based on input, which is largely what I was thinking anyway.

This will be my fourth Camino. On my first, I used a Fujifilm X100F, on my second I used a Canon G9X and on my third I used my Google Pixel cell phone. Yes, a lighter camera each Camino.

However, on this Camino in addition to a pilgrimage in Spain I will be walking The Saints Way in Cornwall. This has motivated me to bring my Canon RP and I am leaning toward bringing the Canon 24-50mm f/4.6-6.3. This lens provides the range that I need for landscapes. In addition, I will use the Peak Design Capture Clip (https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/clips/products/capture) to attach my camera to my backpack/rucksack shoulder strap.
The Capture Clip is the next purchase I am making, Sounds like we will be similarly kitted out...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I like your style :) Seeing a voigtlander on the road would be great. I am certainly leaning towards my medium tele for the trip based on input, which is largely what I was thinking anyway.

Ah…Voigtlander….*far away look in my eyes*

Hi. I'm a hospitalero in the Navarra section of the Frances and an advanced amateur photographer. I walked the Camino Primitivo some years ago and took a Nikon DSLR with me, with a 24-85mm f2.8. Maybe it was because it was Winter and it was quite cold and rainy, a d therefore I didn't get a lot of nice light, but the camera didn't come out of my backpack once! I did just fine with my phone (and today's phones' cameras are so much better!).

That said, I could totally understand that for you it's important to bring your camera and I'm sure you will actually use it, so if my experience in photographing Camino vistas is of any use, I'd try to bring one, do-it-all lens like a 28-300mm (full frame equivalent). I know they are less quality and have less aperture, but I definitely wouldn't like to miss out the longer focal lengths: I think I take more pictures with my 80-300mm f2.8 than with any of my wider lenses.

If that is not an option for you then definitely the 24-70mm or similar rather than just a 50mm or a 24 or 28mm.

Buen (photographic) Camino!

I personally think that's too much zoom, but it also depends on what you already have. I think I might take a fairly wide tilt shift if I was only taking one lens. I know you can do it with software but I do like to compose in the camera and I mostly photograph the buildings. As I've only got one and it's 24mm actual but on a half format that's the one I would take, near enough to 50mm equivalent on my canon EOS. It would also work nicely for portraits and near landscapes. Of course that also implies a tripod so it's getting quite a load. Hmm.
Oh, I don't know. There are so many options. Maybe a nice bridge. There are some good second hand ones around at the moment. You could pick up a Canon SX1 IS for under 200 euros which has all the zoom you could want and is lighter to carry than an SLR.
Show us the photos when you get back!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi. I'm a hospitalero in the Navarra section of the Frances and an advanced amateur photographer. I walked the Camino Primitivo some years ago and took a Nikon DSLR with me, with a 24-85mm f2.8. Maybe it was because it was Winter and it was quite cold and rainy, a d therefore I didn't get a lot of nice light, but the camera didn't come out of my backpack once! I did just fine with my phone (and today's phones' cameras are so much better!).

That said, I could totally understand that for you it's important to bring your camera and I'm sure you will actually use it, so if my experience in photographing Camino vistas is of any use, I'd try to bring one, do-it-all lens like a 28-300mm (full frame equivalent). I know they are less quality and have less aperture, but I definitely wouldn't like to miss out the longer focal lengths: I think I take more pictures with my 80-300mm f2.8 than with any of my wider lenses.

If that is not an option for you then definitely the 24-70mm or similar rather than just a 50mm or a 24 or 28mm.

Buen (photographic) Camino!
Thanks for the input Juanma..I do have a lightweight 70-200 that I could add to the mix...I do a lot of wildlife photography, so I often bring this when I travel. Decisions, decisions.
Buen Camino, maybe our paths will cross :)

I personally think that's too much zoom, but it also depends on what you already have. I think I might take a fairly wide tilt shift if I was only taking one lens. I know you can do it with software but I do like to compose in the camera and I mostly photograph the buildings. As I've only got one and it's 24mm actual but on a half format that's the one I would take, near enough to 50mm equivalent on my canon EOS. It would also work nicely for portraits and near landscapes. Of course that also implies a tripod so it's getting quite a load. Hmm.
Oh, I don't know. There are so many options. Maybe a nice bridge. There are some good second hand ones around at the moment. You could pick up a Canon SX1 IS for under 200 euros which has all the zoom you could want and is lighter to carry than an SLR.
Show us the photos when you get back!
I am not in the market for another camera at the moment, I don't have the shelf space :) The buildings look amazing from the images I have seen but my budget wont stretch to a T/S lens right now...so fixing in post is on the cards for me...
I'll be sure to share when I get back, and while I am on the way.

Kit bag has a 1.8/1.4 prime in it, a 70-200 2.8 with a full frame body.
Ready for any dark interiors to a point without having to raise the iso too awfull much.
The 70-200 makes excellent portraiture in not so good light for same reason .
I cut my teeth in low light and enjoy the moody stuff, sunsets light on things etc.

I dont use flash for most stuff but an AD 200 is brilliant for lighting up a room when bouncing to fill.
Have fun most importantly!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Kit bag has a 1.8/1.4 prime in it, a 70-200 2.8 with a full frame body.
Ready for any dark interiors to a point without having to raise the iso too awfull much.
The 70-200 makes excellent portraiture in not so good light for same reason .
I cut my teeth in low light and enjoy the moody stuff, sunsets light on things etc.

I dont use flash for most stuff but an AD 200 is brilliant for lighting up a room when bouncing to fill.
Have fun most importantly!
Thanks William - low light and I have a decent relationship...although mostly shooting concerts in dark clubs :)

Thanks William - low light and I have a decent relationship...although mostly shooting concerts in dark clubs :)
Yup..my band buddys dont believe in stage lighting
I shoot Charity events in venues with low lights and high iso..ugh
Looking at a D850/D5 or 6 to get that high iso clarity

If I was forced to take my DLSR with me I think I would go with a 30mm f1.4…

Outdoors you shouldn't have a problem, indoors would need something very fast.

But I personally would just leave all the camera, lens, cards, batteries and cables at home and just use the iPhone…

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Simon Burn, a photographer and youtuber, did the Camino last year and in this vídeo he shares some photographic advice:

Simon Burn, a photographer and youtuber, did the Camino last year and in this vídeo he shares some photographic advice:

Actually never mind... I wrote that before watching the video; now that I have, there's no useful information for what you want to know (what lens to take); and with you being already a photographer, the rest of the information he gives is already known to you. Can't hurt to watch it anyway and maybe write a comment asking him about what lens to bring with you.

Yup..my band buddys dont believe in stage lighting
I shoot Charity events in venues with low lights and high iso..ugh
Looking at a D850/D5 or 6 to get that high iso clarity
what is it with performers and moody lighting, don't they realize us photographers are trying to make them look good :) I am in the Canon camp, and picked up the R6, it is a low light beast, night and day compared with my trusty 70D.. Dont know much about the D5/6 but I hear the D850 is great.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Actually never mind... I wrote that before watching the video; now that I have, there's no useful information for what you want to know (what lens to take); and with you being already a photographer, the rest of the information he gives is already known to you. Can't hurt to watch it anyway and maybe write a comment asking him about what lens to bring with you.
:) - No worries - I had actually seen that video last week when searching for the same thing on youtube...I also watched the longer one he put up about the camino, and found it to be quite informative, and a pleasant watch..

what is it with performers and moody lighting, don't they realize us photographers are trying to make them look good :) I am in the Canon camp, and picked up the R6, it is a low light beast, night and day compared with my trusty 70D.. Dont know much about the D5/6 but I hear the D850 is great.
I used up! A 60D..all done, wore that poor thing out...
my 5dII? Poor thing just didnt know what hit it..wore that out too.

The bands must be shy..I tell them Pink Floyd and a few other guys..you can see them..on stage....playing! and that its brilliant!

Mostly a 50mm prime 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've had a lot of people ask what gear I carry on the Camino.

I'm off on my next Camino in two weeks, walking from Leon.

For those interested, this time I'm taking a Nikon Z9, with a 24-70 f2.8, an 85mm f1.8, and a 35mm f1.8.

A carbon fibre travel tripod is coming along also.

My buddy coming with me has a 100-400mm which he may lend me if I need it, and I ask nicely!

For those interested, this time I'm taking a Nikon Z9, with a 24-70 f2.8, an 85mm f1.8, and a 35mm f1.8.

My buddy coming with me has a 100-400mm which he may lend me if I need it, and I ask nicely!
Heavy Hitting to be sure!

It would be great to see some photos from the trip...now you have me thinking..I guess I could get two capture clips and have the camera and 24-70 on one side and the 400mm 5.6 on the other side to help balance :) On a slightly more serious note, I was half thinking of a light tripod to try some astro in some of the darker skies..I think that might have to wait for another trip though

Just out of interest: do you stay in Albergues or Hotels?
How do you secure your equipment?

TIA
Roland

It would be great to see some photos from the trip...now you have me thinking..I guess I could get two capture clips and have the camera and 24-70 on one side and the 400mm 5.6 on the other side to help balance :) On a slightly more serious note, I was half thinking of a light tripod to try some astro in some of the darker skies..I think that might have to wait for another trip though
A light tripod is a good idea for astro. I'm taking mine for long evening exposures primarily but might try some astro now you mention it. 👍

I hope to make some videos while there for my YouTube channel, and share photos in the videos and on my website.

Just out of interest: do you stay in Albergues or Hotels?
How do you secure your equipment?

TIA
Roland
This time round we're staying mostly in Albergues.

Re: security: I rarely put my camera down, I carry it all day and night usually.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Re: security: I rarely put my camera down, I carry it all day and night usually.

"My camera" and the mentioned equipment is somehow different.
Do you use your hiking backpack as camerabag or do you pack separate?

Last edited:

Buen Camino
I took my canon eos with 18-55mm lens and that lens size was great. Did a few days sightseeing in Bilbao before the Camino, while getting over jet lag, so wanted the camera.

Used it quite a bit, but was also taking photos with an iPhone.

As the trip progressed, I overall leaned more toward the iPhone…handles low light better (inside cathedrals, or dusk photos) where the camera would need a tripod. For dark night, you’d need a camera, but who’s up at night after walking all day?

Next time will just be the iPhone.

Buen Camino!

"My camera" and the mentioned equipment is somehow different.
Do you use your hiking backpack as camerabag or do you pack separate?
The rest of the equipment is really the two other lenses, which I keep in my backpack. I have a small bag that I carry around with me once I check in to the accommodation. I often carry one of the spare lenses in that.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I took my canon eos with 18-55mm lens and that lens size was great. Did a few days sightseeing in Bilbao before the Camino, while getting over jet lag, so wanted the camera.

Used it quite a bit, but was also taking photos with an iPhone.

As the trip progressed, I overall leaned more toward the iPhone…handles low light better (inside cathedrals, or dusk photos) where the camera would need a tripod. For dark night, you’d need a camera, but who’s up at night after walking all day?

Next time will just be the iPhone.

Buen Camino!
A full frame camera (or even a cropped sensor camera) is going to handle the low light much better than a phone with a tiny sensor. No tripod needed.

I'm out all evening after walking all day, exploring the cities and towns. For me, It's the main reason to go on the walk.

One of the best Camino videos I watched prior to my first Camino, was OverlanderTV on youtube.
I couldn't..........
I just weighed all my gear I'm about to take on my Camino next week... 18kg.

This seems to be the magic number.

That does include a phone too 😎

Minimising equipment has been on my mind for many months, and I've played with all sorts of configurations. On my first Camino I only took a Nikon Z50 with a 35mm f1.4 prime, and a 50-250 kit lens. The kit telephoto proved very useful to compress the many vistas and pick out details in the distance. I wish I had taken my full frame camera and something like a 70-200 instead though.

The Camino has so much to offer photographers, it's overwhelming. From small rural church interiors, to wide vistas, woodland, mountains, incredible towns. There are details to capture, plates of food to storks on a tower. A wider lens is essential IMHO, as is something around 85mm. I find a fast prime is better than a kit lens for interiors and evenings, but then there's the extra weight. I think it's worth it though, again IMHO.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Minimising equipment has been on my mind for many months, and I've played with all sorts of configurations. On my first Camino I only took a Nikon Z50 with a 35mm f1.4 prime, and a 50-250 kit lens. The kit telephoto proved very useful to compress the many vistas and pick out details in the distance. I wish I had taken my full frame camera and something like a 70-200 instead though.

The Camino has so much to offer photographers, it's overwhelming. From small rural church interiors, to wide vistas, woodland, mountains, incredible towns. There are details to capture, plates of food to storks on a tower. A wider lens is essential IMHO, as is something around 85mm. I find a fast prime is better than a kit lens for interiors and evenings, but then there's the extra weight. I think it's worth it though, again IMHO.
Thats my problem, i live/love to capture special moments of light
Crepuscular rays inside buildings
Shades of gold
Singular things lit up by a stray ray
Sunsets...
My eye is forever roving for special compositions,moments and juxtapositions

Its how i remember things hence the need to carry what to others would be too big,too bulky..too...much.

As the Camino seems to be big enough for everyones dreams,desires and needs..I hope more people take ..."more" than just a photo...photos.
Vicariously..years,decades and beyond, what you saw, may inspire another person to go and get their moment.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.