• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wheeled Hand Cart

Camino092122

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hi Everyone! I was hoping to get some advice regarding the Lisbon to Santiago route. I plan to use a Dolly Trolley / hand cart as an alternative to carrying my bag. (I have Parkinson's and am trying to lighten the stress on my body as much as possible).

Firstly, would a wheeled cart work with that route or most of the route? And secondly, I plan to buy the cart in Lisbon but am having trouble finding a store that sells them (from google searches). I've already checked into a bag transfer service but it's very expensive - from Lisbon to Porto I was quoted $550 Euro as they would be dedicated transfers.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Karen :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We had 2 pilgrims last summer while hospitaleros with wheeled carts like the ones in the link @Xali1970 posted and we met a another while walking. Two had disabilities and a third was walking from Cadiz to Jerusalem and had camping gear to carry. All three really liked the cart setup. Each walked with hiking poles as well to steady themselves.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I saw someone on the Portuguese using something on wheels but it was strapped to their hips. I even saw her taken it over terrain while going uphill.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Everyone! I was hoping to get some advice regarding the Lisbon to Santiago route. I plan to use a Dolly Trolley / hand cart as an alternative to carrying my bag. (I have Parkinson's and am trying to lighten the stress on my body as much as possible).

Firstly, would a wheeled cart work with that route or most of the route? And secondly, I plan to buy the cart in Lisbon but am having trouble finding a store that sells them (from google searches). I've already checked into a bag transfer service but it's very expensive - from Lisbon to Porto I was quoted $550 Euro as they would be dedicated transfers.

Thank you,

I finished the Camino from Lisbon to Santiago on August 22nd 2023. Like you, I asked several transport companies for a quote before I started. There is only one company that does the service from Lisbon and that is TOP SANTIAGO. Tfn. 351 969 021 000. They asked me 750 euros for two backpacks from Lisbon to Santiago. We decided to carry the backpacks ourselves. There are no hills or mountains in this Portuguese Way, but in my experience there are two problems if you want to use a Dolly Trolley. Firstly, there are stretches of road where there is just enough space for one pedestrian. For example, the last ten kilometres before Golega (stage 4) or hardly any as in the road before reaching Alhandra in stage 2. Even if you wear a reflective waistcoat (which I highly recommend), you are literally risking your life. Secondly, you will have to cross railway lines. There is sometimes a lift available, but it does not always work. Hope this helps.

https://trekkersfriend.com/ may be something to look at, or look hiking trailers up on the forum.
In 2010 we accompanied Kurt, a retired German engineer, on part of the Camino Frances. He built his own cart which was similar to the Trekker's Friend. His had a lightweight wooden platform for carrying his backpack. He had reduced the weight by cutting holes (approx 5cm each) throughout the surface. He used his trekking poles as shafts but could detach them and use a harness when required. He didn't have the option of carrying the cart, but he used larger wheels than on the Trekker's Friend and these allowed him negotiate rough ground.

We saw a couple of other pilgrims with makeshift carts and small wheels (about 15cm in diameter) which couldn't cope with mud or rough ground.

We first met Kurt in SJPP and last spoke to him entering Leon. The only complaint he had of his cart was that he made the mistake of using cheap Chinese-made tyres. It took him some time to find replacements in Burgos but was delighted with the Michelin tyres which he eventually found.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Consider this. It is a relatively newly designed hiking trailer. I have been following development of this trailer for a couple of years now.

I hope this is helpful to you or others.

Tom

Hi Karen - you can use a two wheeled shopping trolley, if you can get one with big enough wheels but it does mean that you are pulling it behind you with one hand, which is tiring to say the least! - so a two wheeled trailer is the way to go! (whatever you do don't buy a mono wheel trailer (single wheel) as it is an awful design that leaves 50% of the weight on your hips).
You load a two wheel trailer so that the main weight is over the axle and this then gives you just a pound or so on your hip belt (needed to stop it pitching up and down).
As they are connected to a padded hip belt, if you have stability issues you can still use poles.

Hipstar have delayed actually selling their trailers for years and years but now they are going out to customers, they are quite cheap for what they are but if you go down that route get a FIRM delivery date before you go ahead.

The Radical Wheelie is a great trailer but terribly expensive. Also, the bag it comes with - unless you buy the skeleton without bag - is useless. It has loops on it and the trailer frame is threaded through it so it cannot be removed without dismantling the whole thing! and the bag is just a cavernous black hole and everything you put in drops to the bottom, and no little zipped pockets on the outside. So if you can afford a Wheelie get the bagless one and strap a long rectangular proper rucksack to it.

Re trailers and Camino routes - a trailer is no wider than your shoulders (the wheels being the widest point) so anywhere a human can walk the trailer will follow. They don't dig in but roll over obstacles so can be used on really rough trails. On the level there is no drag or feeling of weight at all! On ascents you just walk slow and steady and up you go - unlike heavily rucksacked pilgrims who are weighed down right through their whole body. On descents you go slow, steady, and lean back - should you slip it is like skiing, you just sit down. It is much more stable than a top heavy rucksack wearing pilgrim.

Will you be visiting the UK before going on to Spain? The reason I ask is that if you are I would be happy to lend you mine. I have made four trailers now, all to different designs - this is the Mk 4 (photo below with a pal 'modelling' it - an old photo as I have now put much bigger spoked wheels on it for more ground clearance).
Or - when are you going? I could post it to Lisbon, though would need to look into how much it would cost you, and then you would need to post it back to me after your Camino - let me know.
Buen Camino!!

trailer 1.jpg

Last edited:
I've been following a couple of hikers on YouTube, both of which use this model [Tactical XIII-X-Trek]. One guy had walked from his home in Belgium and had to change the wheels to a sturdier version by the time he made it all the way through the Camino Francés in Spain, and he had the company send them to him where he would be staying. https://en.tactical-13.com/

Last edited:
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I finished the Camino from Lisbon to Santiago on August 22nd 2023. Like you, I asked several transport companies for a quote before I started. There is only one company that does the service from Lisbon and that is TOP SANTIAGO.
There is another company, but it is expensive (but so are hiking trailers!)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thank you,

David, I have walked the Camino Portuguese with a hand cart (shopping trolley pictured) which can be purchased at most hardware and department stores in both Portugal and Spain. The Portuguese journey is on cobblestones most of the way but is very doable.
When choosing your trolley, pick the one with the highest axle distance above the ground.
pictured is my 3rd trolley, by far the best. It can be purchased at Cortes Ingles or similar. It cost €120.00 and I had mine modified with a zipper so I can secure everything at night. this trolley can easily take 50kg and includes a Thermo bag which can easily contain cold wine and food for those lunchtime stops on the Camino, where you feed everyone who passes you.
it is a blessing on flat ground and is difficult when it is difficult for those with a backpack.
Further it provides walking and stumbling protection as your hands are stabilising you as you push, much like a walking frame.
The trolley can easily carry a second backpack and much more than a backpack. The energy used is equivalent to a baby stroller. image.jpg

Hi Karen - you can use a two wheeled shopping trolley, if you can get one with big enough wheels but it does mean that you are pulling it behind you with one hand, which is tiring to say the least! - so a two wheeled trailer is the way to go! (whatever you do don't buy a mono wheel trailer (single wheel) as it is an awful design that leaves 50% of the weight on your hips).
You load a two wheel trailer so that the main weight is over the axle and this then gives you just a pound or so on your hip belt (needed to stop it pitching up and down).
As they are connected to a padded hip belt, if you have stability issues you can still use poles.

Hipstar have delayed actually selling their trailers for years and years but now they are going out to customers, they are quite cheap for what they are but if you go down that route get a FIRM delivery date before you go ahead.

The Radical Wheelie is a great trailer but terribly expensive. Also, the bag it comes with - unless you buy the skeleton without bag - is useless. It has loops on it and the trailer frame is threaded through it so it cannot be removed without dismantling the whole thing! and the bag is just a cavernous black hole and everything you put in drops to the bottom, and no little zipped pockets on the outside. So if you can afford a Wheelie get the bagless one and strap a long rectangular proper rucksack to it.

Re trailers and Camino routes - a trailer is no wider than your shoulders (the wheels being the widest point) so anywhere a human can walk the trailer will follow. They don't dig in but roll over obstacles so can be used on really rough trails. On the level there is no drag or feeling of weight at all! On ascents you just walk slow and steady and up you go - unlike heavily rucksacked pilgrims who are weighed down right through their whole body. On descents you go slow, steady, and lean back - should you slip it is like skiing, you just sit down. It is much more stable than a top heavy rucksack wearing pilgrim.

Will you be visiting the UK before going on to Spain? The reason I ask is that if you are I would be happy to lend you mine. I have made four trailers now, all to different designs - this is the Mk 4 (photo below with a pal 'modelling' it - an old photo as I have now put much bigger spoked wheels on it for more ground clearance).
Or - when are you going? I could post it to Lisbon, though would need to look into how much it would cost you, and then you would need to post it back to me after your Camino - let me know.
Buen Camino!!

View attachment 155621
Try this instead. Purchased from Cortes Ingles for €120.00 has a Thermo pocket for cold wine and food. Can easily take 50kg, 4 wheels, very stable and I completed VDLP, Portuguese With this particular unit. Very stable, avoids falls like a walking frame and is the energy use of a baby’s stroller.image.jpg

Try this instead. Purchased from Cortes Ingles for €120.00 has a Thermo pocket for cold wine and food. Can easily take 50kg, 4 wheels, very stable and I completed VDLP, Portuguese With this particular unit. Very stable, avoids falls like a walking frame and is the energy use of a baby’s stroller.View attachment 155649

I absolutely LOVE this trolley!!! If it were available in the UK I would never have started making them from the ground up but adapted that instead.

Aluminium frame, so light and strong and I see that the angle of the handle can be adjusted too, awesome.

Were it mine I would attach two drawbars so I could hip belt it, put on larger wheels, and there it is, perfect!.

MagnusPompeii, could you let me know the brand name so that I can see if I can buy one to have shipped to me?

120 euros? A bargain!. Four wheels so stable as a push trolley in towns and so on too. I think it is a brilliant design.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I absolutely LOVE this trolley!!! If it were available in the UK I would never have started making them from the ground up but adapted that instead.

Aluminium frame, so light and strong and I see that the angle of the handle can be adjusted too, awesome.

Were it mine I would attach two drawbars so I could hip belt it, put on larger wheels, and there it is, perfect!.

MagnusPompeii, could you let me know the brand name so that I can see if I can buy one to have shipped to me?

120 euros? A bargain!. Four wheels so stable as a push trolley in towns and so on too. I think it is a brilliant design.
The price in Cortes Ingles in Madrid was €120.00, that was 3.5 years ago. It is made by Playmarket and is model GO+. It is actually a converted baby stroller frame and I have so far walked about 1,500km with this unit. It needs a few things 1/ a cup holder 2/ solar cells Or energy generation via the wheels. (This is so I can play Brahms/ Beach Boys as I walk) 3/ a zipper around the top 4/ bottle holders down the side 5/ a brake 6/ a second inside compartment, 7/ a pocket sewn into the lid.
it does not need an attachment to the waste you will find out why it is redundant when you use it. Bigger wheels are good as the axle if is too low, will strike rocks.
Playmarket is on line, you will find these on Amazon etc.
no Pilgrim who feels unsteady or cannot carry the weight should use anything else. All the weight is on the wheels, except up hills, when it is still less exertion than a backpack. When it is difficult with a backpack, it is almost as difficult with a trolley.
I have used a trolley (on my 3rd) on my four pilgrimages since 2016.
many pilgrims have laughed, one even became upset because it wasn’t kosher to backpacking like they did 800 years ago. But there are reactionaries everywhere. Innovate or perish.

The price in Cortes Ingles in Madrid was €120.00, that was 3.5 years ago. It is made by Playmarket and is model GO+. It is actually a converted baby stroller frame and I have so far walked about 1,500km with this unit. It needs a few things 1/ a cup holder 2/ solar cells Or energy generation via the wheels. (This is so I can play Brahms/ Beach Boys as I walk) 3/ a zipper around the top 4/ bottle holders down the side 5/ a brake 6/ a second inside compartment, 7/ a pocket sewn into the lid.
it does not need an attachment to the waste you will find out why it is redundant when you use it. Bigger wheels are good as the axle if is too low, will strike rocks.
no Pilgrim who feels unsteady or cannot carry the weight should use anything else. All the weight is on the wheels, except up hills, when it is still less exertion than a backpack. When it is difficult with a backpack, it is almost as difficult with a trolley.
many pilgrims have laughed, one even became upset because it wasn’t kosher to backpacking like they did 800 years ago. But there are reactionaries everywhere. Innovate or perish.
You may well have saved my bacon AND eggs! I have made a few in my time but the best was built around a stroller! I need a new one but cant get the frame of a stroller as they usually still have the baby in them ! Buying one whilst in Spain would save the hassle of trying to get one on board trains and planes on the way to Camino. I am 85 with a severe balance problem and need both hands for my pacer poles. thank you .

Samarkand.

I like it a lot but wouldn't push it, I like my hands and arms free, I would hip belt fit it. Yes, definitely bigger wheels. I would also get rid of the big shopping bag and replace with a long rectangular rucksack that is already set up with pouches and zipped pockets.

It is the ready made frame that I like - light, strong, easily adaptable.

Re the negative pilgrim - it is a maxim that every garden has at least one serpent in it ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You may well have saved my bacon AND eggs! I have made a few in my time but the best was built around a stroller! I need a new one but cant get the frame of a stroller as they usually still have the baby in them ! Buying one whilst in Spain would save the hassle of trying to get one on board trains and planes on the way to Camino. I am 85 with a severe balance problem and need both hands for my pacer poles. thank you .

Samarkand.
This would be perfect for you as the 4 wheels provide balance, just as a walking frame is designed to do. The biggest problem is damage while flying. In fact it arrived back in Tasmania with a bent wheel. Look online for shopping trolleys. This one pictured is by Playmarket model GO+.

https://www.radicaldesign.com/walking-trailers

Recommended reading: click the tab called Radical People ! 😊 😊

Info about various Spanish Caminos + walking trailer:
https://www.radicaldesign.com/blog/8-camino-routes-with-walking-trailer
I have a bike trailer from Radical Design. It’s GREAT. However, on very rough terrain (rocks and tree roots), the wheels are small enough that it’s very jarring when a wheel drops into a hole between two roots or rocks. And if the trailer is behind you, go slow down hill—if there’s any weight on the trailer, when you stop, the trailer tries to keep going! If it can’t push you, it will try to go around you!

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.