• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start if landing at Asturias Airport

Meebo711

Hi! I am planning to walk the Northern Way. I will be landing at the Asturias Airport late in the evening and have about 13 days to complete the journey to Santiago de Compostela. What are your suggestions about the direction to take from the Asturias Airport? Take the bus to Gijon, stay the night and start from there? Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts! m

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi M, here is the map of the section between Aviles and Soto de Luina http://www.caminodesantiago.consumer.es/etapa-de-aviles-a-soto-de-luina. I would suggest starting at one of the albergues on it. Gijon to Aviles is a long day mostly on Asphalt and a lot of dual carriage way.

Asturias airport is to the west of Salinas and near Piedras Blancas http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Asturias/en/Page/1047658436009/,Aviles is 14km away and Gijon is 40km. There is a albergue in Salinas which was advertised as a place to stay in 2010 for pilgrims, not sure if it is the same now but its contact details are http://www.escueladesurflasdunas.com/en/rates-reservations-surfcamp.php.

Good luck and Buen Camino

Mike

Thank you, Mike! Considering the late hour of my arrival (2215) I guess it would be reasonable to take a taxi to the albergue instead of a bus? There doesn't appear to be a direct bus connection from the airport to Aviles. + I was also wondering if it's worthwhile to take a sleeping mat with me or not (otherwise just a sleeping bag)? m

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi M,

The pilgrim albergues do not usually allow anyone in after 10pm, so you may have problems gaining access to the Pedro Solis one in Aviles. If you have a credencial already then you can start from anywhere, why not try the nearby town of Piedras Blancas. What you save on taxi costs you can use to have a hotel room that night. There are a few hotels there, most are expensive but there is a reasonable priced one http://www.hotelpiedras.com there was another pension listed, Pension Avienda, but the one comment I could find out about it said "scary" and from google street view it even looked a bit scary from the outside. You could even book the San Esteban de Pravia private albergue( it does fill up with pilgrims from the Aviles hostel) for the next night so you could have a late and leisurely start to your first day, it is about 16-18km.

The camino is about half a kilometer behind Piedras Blancas, I had got lost that day so remember the place well, I had to ask for directions and most people could point me in the right way.

I would recommend taking a roll mat, there is a few times I saw pilgrims sleep on the floor of the albergues. What I would also suggest is taking it easy for the first few days, this part of Asturias is the last real up and down sections you will have, after Luarca it evens out then in Galicia you have the gentle climb into the interior, if you feel you need to to gain some distance then wait for those sections.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Mike

No doubt, I think the best option is to go by taxi to the hostel in San Esteban de Pravia. Thus, you will be a short step to begin your path, because if you sleep in Piedras Blancas or Aviles, the first stage to Soto de Luiña long you can do.

http://www.nicer.es/bocamar/index.php?idioma=es

Another option is a pair of flights that are in San Juan de la Arena. From this location, in little more than five minutes you link with the road in the area of El Castillo and three miles would more than if you sleep in San Esteban de Pravia.

Hostal Casa Tona: http://www.deasturias.com/index.asp?pagina =% 2Fservicios% 3D4950% 2Fservicios_detalle.asp% 3Fcodigo

Hostal Miramar: http://www.meligrana.com/alojamiento/as ... iramar.asp

There are few other options, but are more expensive. For example, a rural hotel in the village of Foncubierta, which is about three hundred yards from the road. Here, you would begin the road in Soto del Barco.

http://hotelruralenasturias.com/

Another thing, do you have bus to Aviles at that time.

ALSA

AERO ASTUR-AVILES-----21:20 - LMXJVSD
AERO ASTUR-AVILES 21:55 - LMXJV
AERO ASTUR- AVILES 22:35 -SD-
AERO ASTUR-AVILES 23:00 -LMXJVSD

angulero said:
San Juan de la Arena.
If you look at angulero's photo you can see this place at the top end of the river next to the sea on the right side.

angulero said:
San Esteban de Pravia.
And this is on the other side of the river, you can just see the edge of it.

I walked to San Juan de la Arena by mistake and added about 1.5km to my journey. When I walked back up to where the arrows crossed the road for El Castillo I realised that I had left my walking sticks next to the bench in San Juan, so had to return there again and so on. My excuse was that I wasnt feeling well that day and kept making bad decision after bad decision. But the walk is easy from San Juan to where the yellow arrows are and you will have a total distance that day of around 20-22km to Soto de Luina.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
En esta otra, se ven todos los pueblos de los que hemos hablado.

In this one, are all places that we have spoken.

Nalon-1.jpg

Guys, thank you so much for your detailed insight! I guess I'll decide between San Esteban de Pravia vs San Juan de la Arena. Do you have any idea how much the taxi fare will be to these places from the airport? Or is there a bus?

Also, I don't have a pilgrim credential/passport yet. Can you suggest where is the best place to get it? For me it's not essential, if I get it the next day, it's fine.

Thank you-gracias-merci :)
m

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Meebo.
I am also in your situation, landing Oviedo Thursday 31 May at 7.45pm and am also considering a starting point for my Camino. I don't know when you are arriving but maybe our paths may cross.
Michael

Meebo711 said:
Guys, thank you so much for your detailed insight! I guess I'll decide between San Esteban de Pravia vs San Juan de la Arena. Do you have any idea how much the taxi fare will be to these places from the airport? Or is there a bus?

Also, I don't have a pilgrim credential/passport yet. Can you suggest where is the best place to get it? For me it's not essential, if I get it the next day, it's fine.

Thank you-gracias-merci :)
m

Ayer pregunté a un taxista y me dijo que el taxi a La Arena, al ser a esa hora, te saldría por unos 18-20 euros. A San Esteban , un poco más. Hay un autobús que pasa por el aeropuerto sobre las once de la noche y que para en Soto del Barco. No estoy seguro de que también baje a La Arena, pero también lo voy a preguntar.
Voy a preguntar si hay credenciales en la iglesia de La Arena o en el albergue de San Esteban. Si no las hubiera, intento conseguirte una y te la dejo donde te vayas a alojar.

Yesterday I asked a taxi driver told me that the taxi La Arena, being at that time, I would go for about 18-20 euros. A San Esteban, a little more. There is a bus passing through the airport about eleven at night and that in Soto del Barco. I'm not sure La Arena also down to, but I will ask.
I'll ask if there credentials in the church of La Arena or San Esteban shelter. If any, attempt to get you over and you leave it where you go to sleep.

comboyneperegrino said:
Hi Meebo.
I am also in your situation, landing Oviedo Thursday 31 May at 7.45pm and am also considering a starting point for my Camino. I don't know when you are arriving but maybe our paths may cross.
Michael

Ten en cuenta que no llegas a Oviedo, ya que el aeropuerto está apartado de las ciudades. El camino pasa a un kilómetro escaso del aeropuerto. A esa hora tienes mejor combinación de autobús.

Note that you do not get to Oviedo, as the airport is set back from the cities. The road passes a kilometer from the airport. At that time you have a better combination of bus.

Hi!

I just got an email from Vueling telling me that the flight will be the next day (!) and with arrival at 2130, so I have extra 24hrs in Barcelona. I guess the good news is that I can probably get the credential from Barcelona...

Michael, it looks right now that I'll start my camino in the morning of 24 May from San Juan de la Arena and will have time to reach Santiago de Compostela until 04 June. Unless I am really slow or you are preparing for the London Olympics, our paths will not cross. I wish you the best & buen camino :)

Angulero, if you have any update about the transport (San Juan de la Arena), it will be much appreciated!

m.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I asked the arrival time. I wanted to understand that arriving at 21:30. Is to see if there are bus at that hour.
Sorry for my english, but I think the fault lies with the translator of google. :roll:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Consigue la credencial en Barcelona si puedes porque en ni en San Juan de la Arena ni en San Esteban de Pravia las tienen. Si no la consigues te intentaré conseguir una en Avilés, pero debes avisar por aquí y yo te la dejaría donde te alojes o en algún bar del pueblo.

En cuanto al transporte, a esa hora ya no pasan autobuses que bajen a La Arena o San Esteban, así que lo mejor es que cojas el taxi. A La Arena te costará unos 18 euros, dependiendo de la hora a la que lo cojas. Hay un autobús que pasa por el aeropuerto a las 22:52 pero para en Soto del Barco. Si desde Soto coges un taxi, te puedes ahorrar unos euros, pero no merece la pena.

Get the credential in Barcelona if you can because in either San Esteban de Pravia San Juan de la Arena or have them. If you try to get not get one in Avilés, but you must warn you here and I would leave where you stay or some pub.

On transport, at that time no longer pass down to La Arena buses or San Esteban, so the best way is to take the taxi. A La Arena will cost about 18 euros, depending on what time you take it. There is a bus passing through the airport at 22:52 but in Soto del Barco. If you take a taxi from Soto, you can save a few euros, but worth it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hallo people,

I am landing at Asturias airport next week. A quick measurement on google maps shows that its only 1800 meters from the airport front door to joining the way. If you are wild camping there looks like plenty of scope for pitching for the night between Folguerras and La Corrada which is nearby. Otherwise, its as per the other posts .

Usual blurb applies, keep it quiet, no fires and take away your rubbish. Not preaching, just sayin is all.

Solo hay un kilómetro desde el aeropuerto al camino, ya la ruta va por la carretera de Ranón (AS-318) para más adelante introducirte en un bosque por un sendero. No va por la carretera N-632, por tanto no pasa ni por Folgueras ni por La Corrada. Por esa carrtera solo van los peregrinos que se han equivocado o los que quieren atajar.

ScreenHunter_01Sep281300Small.jpg

Por cierto, no está permitida la acampada libre.

Saludos.

There is only one kilometer from the airport to the path, and the path is on the road Ranón (AS-318) to introduce later in a forest on a trail that takes you to El Castillo. It is on the N-632 therefore does not pass nor Folgueras nor La Corrada. That road will only pilgrims who have wronged or those who want to tackle.

ScreenHunter_01Sep281300Small.jpg

Another thing, is not allowed camping.

Greetings.

It seemed to me the original post was about arriving late. In this case my suggestion was (if camping) to go a little bit off the camino and wild camp. Then you can go back a kilometer the next morning without taxis etc.

This is exactly what I did and I had no problems. It took me 10 days to reach Santiago and I was wild camping for 9. I had zero problems . Maybe officialy wild camping is not allowed but it is tolerated.

ciao

guille gaviota

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello to all,
In 1 week, Tuesday, I will be landing in Asturias airport (23:30) and heading towards Santiago. I am wondering whether you could share your experience on these two aspects: where to stay and how to get to the place after landing just before midnight; where should I get the credencial?
Other ideas, suggestions on following route would be more than welcome as well!
Greetings,
Vytautas

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back