• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which apps for family to track me

Time of past OR future Camino
May 28-July 9 2024
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain. Any suggestions for an app or GPS tracker that they can use from the US to locate me?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain. Any suggestions for an app or GPS tracker that they can use from the US to locate me?
I have used Polarsteps for other trips and this is the one that'll I use on my Camino next week

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Same here, google maps is one of the best location sharing for families. Just be sure you have unlimited data connection.

Polarsteps is great for sharing your adventures.
If it's precise geographical location, googlemaps location sharing will do just fine. Garmin (if you use one of their devices) and Strava also have that functionality. It's called safety beacon.
You'll be relying on the cellular network, which can be patchy in areas.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Same here, google maps is one of the best location sharing for families. Just be sure you have unlimited data connection.
Just to add, when I did the Frances for 30 days last year my 3 girls at home were assured with google services (gmail, drive, maps and photos). None of us in the family have SocMed.

Hi,

If you wish to use your portable phone as is with no external apps, here's two links:
IPhone:
Android:

Like mentioned before, these options need either wifi or cell network to send your location.
Happy travels

I, and several other forum members use Find Penguins to create blogs. It's very similar to Polar Steps.

I use Google Maps location sharing so that my family know where I am in case of emergency.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
google maps was good for my aging parents to follow my progress
Thanks for pointing that out - so that means if you share your Sat Nav directions with the family (as well as your location permission) they can "walk" the trail along with you and no internet connection required?

Anybody tried that?

Thanks for pointing that out - so that means if you share your Sat Nav directions with the family (as well as your location permission) they can "walk" the trail along with you and no internet connection required?

Anybody tried that?
I'm doing that regularly when out cycling or walking.
Googlemaps location sharing doesn't share the Sat Nav directions, it shares your location. You will need an internet connection for it to work while you walk though, hence the importance of a local cellular phone data sim if you're not an EU resident.

If you want to report your location, but not constantly, you can download an app that gives you latitude and longitude coordinates and the ability to share them through email, whatapp, etc. Done once in a while when you want it will only use a fraction of your cellular data. Usually you can add extra text and attachments ("Ma, look at this church I was just in.") Look for one that also links the coordinates to bring up a map on a website such as Google Maps or Bink. Search for apps with the terms gps map coordinates.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm doing that regularly when out cycling or walking.
Googlemaps location sharing doesn't share the Sat Nav directions, it shares your location. You will need an internet connection for it to work while you walk though, hence the importance of a local cellular phone data sim if you're not an EU resident.
Thanks for your reply. I am OK with the Sat Nav directions but yes I agree that the walker needs an internet connection for the family to see where she/he is.

My experience is not in Spain but on Greek Islands and using a sim card purchased OUTSIDE of Greece gave access to all the Carriers, but even so I tended to lose connection once in "the open country" - so what is situation in Spain?

Thanks for your reply. I am OK with the Sat Nav directions but yes I agree that the walker needs an internet connection for the family to see where she/he is.

My experience is not in Spain but on Greek Islands and using a sim card purchased OUTSIDE of Greece gave access to all the Carriers, but even so I tended to lose connection once in "the open country" - so what is situation in Spain?
I used an Irish SIM along the Camino Frances , the VdlP and the Mozarabe. Coverage was adequate

Seems to me that you need to explain first of all what YOU are using to GUIDE you all the way across Spain because surely if it is worth its salt it will HAVE the tracking feature as an "add-on".

In other words it is all very well for your family to say "look here is mum in the middle of Spain in a place with a funny name" when in fact you are LOST.

Seems to me the family should have the same "app" as you so they can say "mum is on the trail to Portomarin today and YES here she is just leaving Sarria, ON the trail" (and not lost!)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Seems to me that you need to explain first of all what YOU are using to GUIDE you all the way across Spain because surely if it is worth its salt it will HAVE the tracking feature as an "add-on".

In other words it is all very well for your family to say "look here is mum in the middle of Spain in a place with a funny name" when in fact you are LOST.

Seems to me the family should have the same "app" as you so they can say "mum is on the trail to Portomarin today and YES here she is just leaving Sarria, ON the trail" (and not lost!)
Getting lost on the Francés is extremely unlikely, practically impossible even without a GPS.

There are no Camino apps that I know that will do what you are staying. Best to use the tracks native to Apple and Android phones, like Find my Phone and Google Maps if her family wants to know where she is in real time.

I don't think I would would want my family at home worrying that I might be lost because I stray from the designated path. That sort of tracking sounds incredibly stressful for all concerned.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I don't think I would would want my family at home worrying that I might be lost because I stray from the designated path. That sort of tracking sounds incredibly stressful for all concerned.
If you want to avoid getting lost, buy the Alpine Quest app.
It's not a navigation app per se as it does not guide you, but it pinpoints your location within a couple of meters onto a map.
It has different map layers you can superimpose onto a base Googlemaps layer. Two most useful layers are an Ordnance Survey type map for terrain and another one with every hiking and cycle trail in Spain. I couldn't get lost if I tried, and when I did miss a turn I would find my way fairly quickly when consulting it.
Once you learn to read the map gradients you can judge whether a shortcut is doable or just very steep.

If you want to avoid getting lost, buy the Alpine Quest app.
It's not a navigation app per se as it does not guide you, but it pinpoints your location within a couple of meters onto a map.
It has different map layers you can superimpose onto a base Googlemaps layer. Two most useful layers are an Ordnance Survey type map for terrain and another one with every hiking and cycle trail in Spain. I couldn't get lost if I tried, and when I did miss a turn I would find my way fairly quickly when consulting it.
Once you learn to read the map gradients you can judge whether a shortcut is doable or just very steep.
To be honest, I don't mind getting lost. I think it's all part of the journey. Usually I carry a paper map that allows me to find my way back to where I should be eventually.

Any suggestions for an app or GPS tracker that they can use from the US to locate me?
Airtags are one way for people to follow you if you and they have iPhones. They can setup one and give it to you. Your phone and other iPhones would be reporting its location. Buy three, one for you to carry and family to track and put two in your pack for you to track in case of theft or mishandling by couriers. One to be found by the thief and discarded and one well hidden (say sewn behind a patch) to continue doing its job.

The forum has two threads devoted to Airtag usage.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
There are no Camino apps that I know that will do what you are staying. Best to use the tracks native to Apple and Android phones, like Find my Phone and Google Maps if her family wants to know where she is in real time.
That is what I was referring to ie Google Maps.

The walker and the family at home both use the same Sat Nav route (directions). The walker uses it (as needed) to guide them along the path and the family in USA watches her/him move along the trail

To be honest, I don't mind getting lost. I think it's all part of the journey. Usually I carry a paper map that allows me to find my way back to where I should be eventually.
Yeah getting lost can be fun but this thread is not about getting lost (personally) but the OP is concerned with her FAMILY losing contact - so I gave a dead set easy solution.

No stress involved as the family can check once a day/week or 24/7 - up to them!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I call my wife every night using WhatsApp. I also send a position report through WhatsApp to a group text. WhatsApp is used a lot on the Camino. It costs nothing and you'll probably want the app anyway. Today is day 30 on the Camino and it has worked since day 2.
Greg.

I had a deLorme/Garmin “Explorer.” Using Iridium satellites it allowed me to send text messages or e-mails from anywhere (middle of nowhere or middle of ocean, even). An SOS button would summon help if in trouble. And using a website, people I gave a password to could find out my location any time the device wasn’t inside one of those thick stone wall albergues.

Similar to PolarSteps, I used Find Penguins and liked it a lot. When I got home, I ordered the book they offer and am delighted with it.
I've also used an Apple Watch with Fall Detection. It will summon help if I fall and don't respond to the taps on the watch and it will notify my son as to where I am.
And I used What's App to make calls back home that sounded just as they always do. Both parties much have the free app.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Everyone, This second Camino seems to be a go, even though I am far from ready! (1st Camino 2016, 2nd attempted 2019, needed surgery then tried for 2020). I still don't have shoes! Lol I...
Hello, I was trying to plan on catching the 4:00 pm Monbus from Samos to Santiago. I can see from the many reviews online this bus company is not reliable and treats customers terribly (denying...
Hi all! Not sure where to post this (moderators, please feel free to move to the correct section if it’s wrong here). Due to a mess up of the Dutch postal service, the parcel I sent home from...
which is the bus to take to cross the town of Burgos and find yourself on the camino francès to the other side of Burgos? what are the stops where to take the bus in Burgos and where to get off...
I purchased a ticket to Muxía from the Monbus website. The email confirmation has a link to “download ticket”, which takes me to a page on their website with my ticket details. However there is no...
Arrive June 1st in Madrid. The only train I can find gets me to Sarria very late in the evening with a 7 hour layover in Ourense. I am looking to get a taxi, private driver or shared ride to Samos...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back