• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which part to choose between Lisbon and Porto

Totu

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Norte, Primitivo (2015...2022)
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part because of work commitments. I will have about 8-9 days in May and would prefer to walk between Lisbon to Porto, as I have been to Galicia a lot. I would love to walk in the nature as much as possible (not next to highways) but as a woman walking alone, I would also like to see some other pilgrims ahead or behind me, as it is on other Caminos (mostly on Frances). I read that Tomar to Coimbra is beautiful? How crowded is this section in May - I read that many people join it only after Porto? Thank you! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did this section in January and only saw 1 other pilgrim going to Santiago. Saw lots and lots going to Fatima though. Pilgrim statistics show less than 3000 pilgrims start at Lisbon for Santiago compared with 10 times this amount from SJPP and many, many more at Sarria.

Starting at Porto is a good idea.

I walked the Tomar to Coimbra section last May and there were very few pilgrims. Had I not teamed up with another pilgrim I'd have been walking alone. I estimate that there were only about 20 people a day walking this bit. We met in albergues at night.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part because of work commitments. I will have about 8-9 days in May and would prefer to walk between Lisbon to Porto, as I have been to Galicia a lot. I would love to walk in the nature as much as possible (not next to highways) but as a woman walking alone, I would also like to see some other pilgrims ahead or behind me, as it is on other Caminos (mostly on Frances). I read that Tomar to Coimbra is beautiful? How crowded is this section in May - I read that many people join it only after Porto? Thank you! :)
I walked in May last, about max of 12 other pilgrims. Some beautiful towns including Santarem , Tomar and Coimbra. There is quite a bit of walking on asphalt and some areas of nature, but not like in Galicia. Bom Camino!

I walked between Santarem and Porto in late Oct, started on my own but then met friends on the way and we walked together later. There were between 3 and 8 people there on a stage out of season when I walked, and if you walk in May there will be plenty of those walking to Fatima and some going to Santiago as well, not sure if they'd be clearly visible in both directions all the time though. In terms of safety I felt all right there, the road was marked and the locals were very helpful. In terms of nature I mostly enjoyed the stretch between Santarem and Coimbra: i loved the cork oaks and eucalypus forests there, and the wild strawberry tree fruit were abundant and delicious, I enjoyed exploring the authentic small towns on the way there as well. If you decide to walk further then Agueda is pretty colourful and there is a one of a kind donativo albergue further on in Branca - with communal meals - I think it's the only one like that between Lisbon and Porto, check it out - Casa Catolico. Bom Caminho! :)

I loved walking from Tomar to Coimbra in 6 days in April 2023. As a solo female staying at albergues and guesthouses I met lots of other people and lots of pilgrims to walk with or alone. I also went to Luso to walk in the National Park there.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back