• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which should I take? Sleeping bag or liner?

moriahsdavis

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall 2024
I know this has been discussed in the past, but I'm having trouble finding some of the older threads. My mom and I are walking the Norte from September 3 - October 15. Should we take a lightweight sleeping bag or just a liner? We're not wanting to take more weight than necessary and, although small-ish, an actual sleeping bag is naturally heavier than a liner. Thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You’re going to get a range of opinions. My vote is sleeping bag. Liners vary - some are lightweight silk and there are some that are fleece and some are cotton like a sheet. I had a silk liner and I absolutely hated it. I’d definitely recommend trying to sleep in the liner at home one night. My issue was I toss and turn so the darn thing just twisted around me. I also get up to use the restroom every night and it’s a little more difficult to slip into the liner. All this is just my opinion based on my experience.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You’re going to get a range of opinions. My vote is sleeping bag. Liners vary - some are lightweight silk and there are some that are fleece and some are cotton like a sheet. I had a silk liner and I absolutely hated it. I’d definitely recommend trying to sleep in the liner at home one night. My issue was I toss and turn so the darn thing just twisted around me. I also get up to use the restroom every night and it’s a little more difficult to slip into the liner. All this is just my opinion based on my experience.
Thanks for the input. The liner getting twisted is something I hadn't considered! My mom and I both already have sleeping bags and not liners, so there is that to consider too. Using what we have rather than purchasing more. :)

I would take a sleeping bag, but not a heavy one. In January I was comfortable in a 40 degree down bag, but I had owned it for 15 years already. It weighs 16 ounces. My point is that you need more tha than a silk liner, but be conscious of weight. Don't take a bag that weighs 3 lbs. Carry instead a down comforter or as I did a synthetic Army poncho liner which was warm and light.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would say a liner if you want to reduce your weight. I did CF last year mid-Sept to mid-Oct and in some albergue I didn't even use it, I used my quickdry towel instead.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On Camino del Norte over the last 40 days, every albergue, pension, and hotel I’ve been in has provided blankets. Most, but not all, have been nice warm ones.
However to expand on your question a bit, the problem with cold has not been while sleeping but in the afternoon to evening before bed. Most of the albergues provide no heating. Once i’m in bed and the bodies in the dorm have warmed the room, no problem. But it’s been cold out — not bad for walking — but I didn’t bring enough clothes to sit in a cold room for a few hours.

On Camino del Norte over the last 40 days, every albergue, pension, and hotel I’ve been in has provided blankets. Most, but not all, have been nice warm ones.
However to expand on your question a bit, the problem with cold has not been while sleeping but in the afternoon to evening before bed. Most of the albergues provide no heating. Once i’m in bed and the bodies in the dorm have warmed the room, no problem. But it’s been cold out — not bad for walking — but I didn’t bring enough clothes to sit in a cold room for a few hours.
Drink wine - you'll be fine!

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I'm having trouble finding some of the older threads. My mom and I are walking the Norte from September 3 - October 15. Should we take a lightweight sleeping bag or just a liner? We're not wanting to take more weight than necessary and, although small-ish, an actual sleeping bag is naturally heavier than a liner. Thoughts/suggestions?
Both. Silk liner weighs pretty much nothing. Carrying a lightweight sleeping bag is a bit like having travel insurance - you don't need it . . Until you do . . 😉

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
I typically wash my clothes by hand with a bar of Lagarto soap. It’s non-chemical and is the soap I was introduced to back in Spain in the 70s. When you wash clothes by hand, you typically rub...
Hi, I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.