• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which type of accommodation did you use?

Which type of accommodation did you use?

• Municipal albergue.

Votes: 57 78.1%
  • Private albergue.

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Casa Rural.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • Hostal.

Votes: 44 60.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
@wayfarer, is your thinking that municipal albergues will cover all the non-private albergues, and include parish, confraternity and xunta albergues? Also, you haven't offered a hotel option. Was that deliberate?

@wayfarer, is your thinking that municipal albergues will cover all the non-private albergues, and include parish, confraternity and xunta albergues? Also, you haven't offered a hotel option. Was that deliberate?
Hi Doug, Yes is the answer to the first part of your question, putting any more options in would make the whole thing thing a bit cumbersome, and my understanding is that a Hostal is a hotel albeit a one to three star so that should cover both. I did not include paradores, camping or sleeping out either as I felt these would be the exception rather than the rule.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It will, if enough people respond, be fascinating to see the results.

Quite apart from the money aspect I am sure, although this poll won't be able to show it, there will be a serious age element as to which type of accommodation people chose!

My inclination, heading to my 69 birthday this summer, will be for a single room with en suite bathroom! Not only for my own comfort but also out of consideration for others who might, otherwise, be within hearing range of my stentorious snoring and nocturnal visits to the "facilities"!

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
... My inclination, heading to my 69 birthday this summer, will be for a single room with en suite bathroom! Not only for my own comfort but also out of consideration for others who might, otherwise, be within hearing range of my stentorious snoring and nocturnal visits to the "facilities"!

From the depth of my heart and in the name of all other pilgrims - THANK YOU! Buen Camino, SY

Hi Doug, Yes is the answer to the first part of your question, putting any more options in would make the whole thing thing a bit cumbersome, and my understanding is that a Hostal is a hotel albeit a one to three star so that should cover both. I did not include paradores, camping or sleeping out either as I felt these would be the exception rather than the rule.
Thanks. I can understand the first choice, but I found hotels where I stayed in them quite different to hostals. In the latter, unless one paid at about the same rate as a hotel, one was expected to share a room. In Carrion de los Condes, the manager found a way of getting five of us into a hostal room with four beds! That was never going to happen in a hotel.

Thanks. I can understand the first choice, but I found hotels where I stayed in them quite different to hostals. In the latter, unless one paid at about the same rate as a hotel, one was expected to share a room. In Carrion de los Condes, the manager found a way of getting five of us into a hostal room with four beds! That was never going to happen in a hotel.
Hi Doug, I never had that experience but then again I always asked for a double room in Hostals and I will have to say that the quality was sometimes better than many hotels I have stayed in over the years but at a fraction of the price.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I stayed primarily in the muni's with the odd private thrown in. As a treat there were a couple of nights in hotels

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It will, if enough people respond, be fascinating to see the results. Quite apart from the money aspect I am sure, although this poll won't be able to show it, there will be a serious age element as to which type of accommodation people chose! My inclination, heading to my 69 birthday this summer, will be for a single room with en suite bathroom! Not only for my own comfort but also out of consideration for others who might, otherwise, be within hearing range of my stentorious snoring and nocturnal visits to the "facilities"!
Wow! Did you notice that SY thanked us for NOT staying in albergues!
Mind you, I can sympathise. Extract from my 2012 diary:
"Dusk was falling, so we returned to the albergue, and all went to bed. At 10:30 Paco started to snore. I’d experienced snoring in previous albergues, but this was different. Paco would be silent for about fifteen seconds. Then a noise would erupt from his mouth, followed by what sounded like a shout. This went on for four hours.
The volume was such that the empty room actually vibrated at every exhalation that Paco made. Paco could snore for Spain, and I’m sure he held the gold Olympic medal for snoring. I tossed and turned, and tried to ignore it, but all to no avail. At 2:30 in the morning, I gathered my sleeping bag, and went into the girls’ dormitory.
“It’s only me.” I said in a loud whisper.
“Stay!” said Catarina. I had no intention of doing anything else……
[Catarina told me later that they had been warned about Paco! “We could hear him snoring through two closed doors and twenty metres of passage. There was a moment when we had a discussion about whether we should come and rescue you! But we thought you might get the wrong idea......”]"

Hi Doug, I never had that experience but then again I always asked for a double room in Hostals and I will have to say that the quality was sometimes better than many hotels I have stayed in over the years but at a fraction of the price.
I often looked for hostals.
To my mind they are hotels with 1, or 2 stars.
I have often had en-suite rooms for under €20, have never asked for a double [didn't think I'd get that lucky] and have NEVER been asked to share a room - thank goodness! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mind you, I can sympathise. Extract from my 2012 diary:
"Dusk was falling, so we returned to the albergue, and all went to bed. At 10:30 Paco started to snore. I’d experienced snoring in previous albergues, but this was different. Paco would be silent for about fifteen seconds. Then a noise would erupt from his mouth, followed by what sounded like a shout. This went on for four hours.
The volume was such that the empty room actually vibrated at every exhalation that Paco made. Paco could snore for Spain, and I’m sure he held the gold Olympic medal for snoring. I tossed and turned, and tried to ignore it, but all to no avail. At 2:30 in the morning, I gathered my sleeping bag, and went into the girls’ dormitory.
“It’s only me.” I said in a loud whisper.
“Stay!” said Catarina. I had no intention of doing anything else……
[Catarina told me later that they had been warned about Paco! “We could hear him snoring through two closed doors and twenty metres of passage. There was a moment when we had a discussion about whether we should come and rescue you! But we thought you might get the wrong idea......”]"
Paco told me the other day that he will sleep in a single room with ensuite bathroom and jacuzzi next time when he meets you again Stephen . He apologised dearly.:p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Certainly I did and as an 'old hospitalera' I might add that every pilgrim NOT staying in 'my' albergue meant one more free bed for those that come later and couldn't afford a room in a pension or similar. So double and triple thank you to all hotel/hostal/pension pilgrims ;-) Buen Camino! SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Interesting that the private albergues have it by a close head so far and I thought I was the only one who pampered myself. :)
The survey doesn't give any information about what percentage of accommodation was provided by each of the categories. It tells us that for those that responded, more used a private albergue than any other options. That might be interesting, but I wouldn't think it all that surprising.

The survey doesn't tell us that private albergues provided more pilgrim accommodation than the other options. A different question would be needed to determine that.

Most read last week in this forum

A local Navarra website has reported the death of a 61 year old German peregrina this morning in Zuriain. The cause appears to have been cardiac arrest. The third death of a pilgrim in Navarra in...
We’re currently on the Frances. We’re walking from SJPDP. We’re looking at our projected dates for Sarria to Santiago. When we try to find lodging it all looks sold out on booking.com. What...
I just got an email that the train from Bayonne to St Jean tonight is canceled. Anyone else see this?
A few km before Portomaran, a huge swarm of wasps swooped down on a pilgrim. Thankfully, he wasn’t stung. He said it looked like a flock of sparrows that swooped down and he thought they were...
Here is a pic from 2016, I love the simplicity of the sketch map and directions "1 km climb up, 5km flat, 5km down". I wonder how the prices are now?
Reposted from Wise Pilgrim comments, was hiking with this pilgrim. Don’t follow app,go just a bit further past to well marked turn, not the one with spray painted arrow on stop sign:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.