• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Whimsy on my equipment

What whimsy should I include, and why?

• kite (150 grams)

• hard drive (300 grams)

• tent (200 grams)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Time of past OR future Camino
please see signature
@AlwynWellington

Intending to leave from Le Puy-en-Velay about 5 April after arriving in Lyon on 2 April from Wellington, Aotearoa-New Zealand.

Expect to pass through St-Jean-Pied-de-Port early May en route to Santiago de Compostella.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I haven't been yet, but I would think a kite will attract conversation and spark joy. A hard drive is.... well, not whimsical.

I weigh just on 70 kg.

And, abiding by the rule of thumb, I have my pack and everything I will need at under 5 kg before adding water. This includes changes of clothes, sox, slippers, Android tablet, camera and all the gadgets that they need. And on the tablet I have scans of all the guides and maps (personal use only) that might make the journey more interesting. I have yet to decide whether to include a light-weight (200 gr) two person tent (the poncho I will carry doubles as the ground sheet).

I leave New Zealand in April 2016 direct for Le Puy (via Charles De Gaulle and Lyon). When I've finished it's off to Scotland for the West Highland Way. What I leave home with I carry at all times.

So, I think there might be space for a whimsy.

I have two in mind.

One is a kite with tails, line and handle weighing 150 gr.

The other is a hard drive to store the photos I take and a source for the music I might care to play for the five months I'm away. This weighs about 300 gr.

Would the team care to help me decide?
I weigh just on 70 kg.

And, abiding by the rule of thumb, I have my pack and everything I will need at under 5 kg before adding water. This includes changes of clothes, sox, slippers, Android tablet, camera and all the gadgets that they need. And on the tablet I have scans of all the guides and maps (personal use only) that might make the journey more interesting. I have yet to decide whether to include a light-weight (200 gr) two person tent (the poncho I will carry doubles as the ground sheet).

I leave New Zealand in April 2016 direct for Le Puy (via Charles De Gaulle and Lyon). When I've finished it's off to Scotland for the West Highland Way. What I leave home with I carry at all times.

I have two in mind.

The other is a hard drive to store the photos I take and a source for the music I might care to play for the five months I'm away. This weighs about 300 gr.

Use the cloud for downloads (it doesn't weigh much) The tent will be happier at home. Bring a gift....... Willy, Utah, USA

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Kite, kite, kite.......

I had a weekend on Arran and bought a kite for ÂŁ2. Loads if fun and lots of people wanted to have a go.

I weigh just on 70 kg.

I have two in mind.

You will absolutely love the West Highland Way. I walked it last May, ending in Fort William. The Glencoe area is spectacular.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
I typically wash my clothes by hand with a bar of Lagarto soap. It’s non-chemical and is the soap I was introduced to back in Spain in the 70s. When you wash clothes by hand, you typically rub...
So, whatcha all buying? The sale and coupons are burning a hole in my pocket but I can’t decide what I want/need.
I’ll begin my Camino in July (Portuguese route), so it’s time to get shoes and break them in. I have seen posts about walking shoes and which ones people prefer, and I’ve read various articles...
Hi, I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and...
I have an iPhone 14 and got an eSIM one month contract with Orange when I arrived in Spain a month ago. Right away there were problems. It did most basic things, but I couldn’t use most WiFi...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.