• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why do it?

seebs100

I'm writing an essay on the camino and I just want to know why people make this journey? what are the reasons for doing it?

thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've just finished reading this book which gives an interesting account of people's reasons and experiences both on the camino and after. You might find it helpful.

I'm going (though only for a week to do part of it) because:
I want to walk
I want time alone in the presence of other people
I want to think about what's happened to me in the last year or so, and where I'm going from here.
I love the idea of thousands of people having walked this way before me.
I want a bit of Spanish sunshine after so many weeks of UK rain
I want to see if i can cope on my own abroad

Best wishes with the essay

I'm going because I like walking and because I because if you consider the ratio of adventure to cash - it's great value. (i.e. I'm too broke to do anything else as fun)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well for me..

Hi,

I completed my Camino about 1mth ago and I decided to do it because I realized there was too much bs in my life.. that I could not tell was bs or not.

Nevertheless I did reflect on the bs and non-bs facets of my life on the Camino and it was fantastic.

I also wanted to show myself that I am strong... without the material things/people in my life.

Hola,

I ditto all the sentiments here........ I query the 'for the fun of it one' (see below)

Why the Camino?

I heard author Tony Kevin being interviewed recently on ozzie radio and he mentioned that "it is like taking your life for a walk?' He also mentioned that the Australian cricketer's hat is the best head gear and that 'pilgrimage' was an affirmation of human community. On his walk he experienced delight and sadness, huge gloom and huge joy. He took home with him a strengthened religious faith and an increased generosity of spirit and a need to re evaluate his former life-style.

For myself it would definitely be a case of pushing myself beyond self-doubt and limitations. An opportunity to learn to trust myself and be in greater awareness when at the point of choice........ Do I whinge and whim or accept and move through?

About the fun part ........ I was so enthusiastic when I first read/heard/came to this board re the Camino (about one month ago !!) and now the honeymoon period is definitely over and whilst I still see myself going in 2008 I have mixed such feelings about it all.

I have started Spanish lessons.
tome cada dĂ­a un paso a la vez
take each day one step at a time

http://ets.freetranslation.com/

lillypond

I've got a number of reasons as to why... Although some I'd rather not put on here.

For me, it's a way of finding myself and detaching me from the day to day mundanity of life. I'm away from the desk, the computer, the phone, the suits, the shouty people, the underground... Everything. I like the feeling of control that you have on the Camino, I like that I can roam freely and think my own thoughts. Spend time with strangers, get to know people, see the glorious country (again and again).

I don't expect the Camino to revolutionise my life, you can only do that yourself. However it does give you the time and the space to look at yourself and see what you can change for the better. Essentially it's only you that can change you.

Do I do it for religious reasons? Well, I believe in God...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Why?

On the Shikoku pilgrimage there is a saying:

'...a pilgrim carries the baggage of his life: and the pilgrimage gives him time to sort out some of it".

My camino experience began in 1975, when I participated in the Cursillo de Christiandad. This is a worldwide movement within the Catholic church which is an outgrowth of the training preparation program for pilgrimage guides for the national pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in 1949. This pilgrimage was an effort to reunite the country after the Spanish Civil War but was repeatedly postponed until after WWII.
Since 1975 this experience has set the direction of my life and has been the significant means of support for me. Walking the physical camino was, for me, a way to give thanks for and be a part of the walk of those humble men. Seeing and touching the physical camino gave great meaning to the spiritual one. ultreya, John

I plan to walk the Camino with my teenage daughter.
I have several reasons to want to walk it and I am sure she has ones that are different from mine.

One is that this may be one of the last times that she and I get to spend extended time together experiencing something challenging and spiritual.
As she prepares to go to college, I hope that this will give her confidence in what she can accomplish, and a chance to think about what is important in life and in her future.
The next time we walk together may be down an aisle at her wedding :(

I also want to grow in my faith as a Catholic and deal with those mid-life issues that come about... What have I done with my life? When I die did I better the world by giving back or just take from the world?

Maybe that sums it up. I want to use the Camino as a chance to examine my life and make sure I am being a giver and not a taker...

Rambler

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
get lost to be found

Hi there,

I'm actually doing a thesis on the concept of pilgrimage and travel as a religious experience. There's a value in removing yourself from your day to day life and putting yourself in unfamiliar situations. Without the "baggage" of assumed responsibilities and identities, you are more able to focus on another aspects of yourself.

Stripped down the bare essentials necessary to continue, the camino allows a more honest form of who you are to reveal itself. You're not necessarily the car you drive, the career you do, nor the people you associate with. On the road to Santiago, you are who you chose to be at every given moment. Removed from the trappings of your "real" life, all you have is who you bring with you on your journey.

There's a truth and honesty, a self realization even, that lends itself to being a religious experience. And if the purpose of religion is to shape identity and define who we are in this universe, then pilgrimage is definitely a worthwhile medium.

Good luck!
Athena

PS - ALSO, don't underestimate the human need to belong. The Camino has a long standing history and tradition. To walk the road to Santiago is to become part of that tradition, in some form or another. Another way in which to identify oneself....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Religious tourism

Hi there Athena,
You might like to visit this website which has a link to Religious Tourism - with many more links once you click on read more
http://www.qultures.com/

Enjoy!

religeous tourism

Hi Athena,

I read Paulo Coelho's book about it and was enraptured with the idea. I went originally to try to figure out my place in life. I developed a deep respect for my body, as well as humility (walking was harder than I could ever have imagined.) I wanted to meet other pilgrim's, and wanted to be closer to God, and wanted to be in communion with the millions of pilgrims who had walked the same paths over the centuries or who were walking with me then. And then after talking about going for years, I suddenly felt that I had to go, and that just happened again, and so I am going again.

Cheers!
L

Hi Athena, I'm actually doing a pretty similar thesis! We should swap emails!!:D
I'm waling this September to interview pilgrims while they are on the trail. It's a dream come true in many ways for me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
to walk the earth

simply

I want to spend a month to walk the earth.

Every day devoted to simply walking.

I look forward to the lessons ahead.

blessings

ultreya

buen camino

*vanessa*

I recently read "The Way of the Wanderer" by David Yeadon (from the library) and it has a great passage in it -

All Used Up

"When I die I want nothing left - absolutely nothing ! Zilch! Nada! - I want everything used up, maxed out! If there's any money around I want it all handed out and used for somethin' good. I want m'heart full to the brim, busting - with all the good stuff, and I want my legs and knees gone after too much fun in crazy places, doing crazy things, my arteries clogged with years of glorious excess and my brain busting' with the memories of explorings, experiments, discoverings - all the magic of living, so crammed full there's no room for anything more - 'cept getting' excited about the next big journey - the biggest trip of all...."

"Jeez. Harry - and I'm getting' all worrried 'bout a bit of arthritis in m'fingers

lillypond

*Perculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God*
Kurt Vonnegut

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back