• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why Spain?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
I have been in love with Spain since I was a young teenager. When most of my peers were signing up for French or German classes, it was Spanish for me. Even in college, I continued with studying Spanish, although my teacher from Peru was strict, marching around with a short baton, and would tap our hands when we said something amiss. This happened often.

Some of my best friends growing up were the Mexican kids that migrated to Oregon with their parents every year. I loved being able to speak Spanish with them, if even just a little. When I signed up for Spanish as a teenager, I was surprised that we didn't have more people who would want to talk with the kids from Mexico as practice.

In staring at maps of Europe--for years--I always knew it would be Spain first. I am getting closer to my dream destination.

Imagine my delight, when I learned--two years ago--that 12% of my DNA is from the Iberian Peninsula area, and more specifically, I can trace my genealogy to an area in the Pyrenees. Yes, the Pyrenees.

So, to a degree, I feel that I am coming home.

About a week ago, I saw a picture of a man from that area. He had dark skin, like Dad's, with very dark eyes and gray hair. His nose was kind of broad. Seriously, he looked so much like my late father. I just smiled. My father's and his mother's olive skin tone and dark eyes and hair had always fascinated me.

And, that's why Spain is first.

No one has ever been able to stop my love affair with this beautiful, diverse country, and no one ever will.

How did your love affair with Spain begin?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How did your love affair with Spain begin?
Good question Deb.
For me, it was a movie. No not THAT ONE, but Ridley Scott's "1492", which was released, not surprisingly, in 1992. I posted about this in the thread "Was the botafumeiro unique in the Middle Ages?" I included an interesting picture there.

For me it was reading Luis Buñuel's biography and more specifically his youth in Calanda in Aragon. He describes vividly the drumming that goes on during the Holy Week in Calanda and some other small villages/ towns in the neighbourhood.
It is called the Ruta del Tambor.

http://www.rutadeltamborybombo.com/

My then partner and some friends drove from Belgium to Aragon , found ourselves a hostal in Calanda and completely immersed ourselves in this beautiful and crazy week.

And then practically every year we visited another part of Spain : Extremadura, Asturias, Andalucia...Pais Vasco etc....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Same as you I can trace some of my roots there. My mother, was a Bolivian of Spanish (northern Spain-Basque), German and indigenous native (don't know if Quechua or Aymara) heritage. I suppose that is one reason why I always have wanted to go there. Just something inside me telling me to. Also my dad spent time there while in the military and also while working in the offshore petroleum industry. He would talk about Spain and how much he enjoyed his time there. I guess it was inevitable I went there too.

I don't think it was a love affair with Spain that brought me to the country or do to the camino

Instead I came down with a rare syndrome called guillain barre that left me paralyzed, unable to walk.

When I finally recovered I was told I should not travel to any exotic countries or places like SE Asia or South America which my wife and I had wanted to do.

My wife and I both loved to walk and hike, and since I was now able to walk again, we headed off to Spain to do this thing called the camino (Spain was on the safe to go list). That was in 2007.

Since then we have gone to do a total of six long distance walks, 3 in Spain.

Last edited:
Good question Deb.
For me, it was a movie. No not THAT ONE, but Ridley Scott's "1492", which was released, not surprisingly, in 1992. I posted about this in the thread "Was the botafumeiro unique in the Middle Ages?" I included an interesting picture there.

I will most certainly be checking out that thread, then :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't think it was a love affair with Spain that brought me to the country or do to the camino

Instead I came down with a rare syndrome called guillain barre that left me paralyzed, unable to walk.

When I finally recovered I was told I should not travel to any exotic countries or places like SE Asia or South America which my wife and I had wanted to do.

My wife and I both loved to walk and hike, and since I was now able to walk again, we headed off to Spain to do this thing called the camino (Spain was on the safe to go list). That was in 2007.

Since then we have gone to do a total of six long distance walks, 3 in Spain.
Jirit, that is so amazing--the whole story. I had heard of that disease. I think I'll do a little research about it, so that I understand it better.

I think that SE Asia is a very difficult country for people just a little older. The heat and humidity is hard. In my mid-thirties and early forties, I did get to the point in Cambodia at which I could do major runs and bike trips in the heat, as well as work (from a motorcycle around town, selling advertisement0. I do not feel as comfortable--as a 55-year-old--to traipse around SE Asia anymore. I could certainly bend your ear with a few war and bar stories...

Hi Deb

It is technically not a desease but a syndrome - a kind of accelerated version of MS but unlike MS most people finally recover from it. The recovery period varies but it can be as long as a year or two or more.

20% end up with some permament disability and few people actually die from it.

One of the reason the doctor wanted me not to go any place exotic was that vaccinations were known to cause a replase of gbs or guillain barre - kind of like playing Russian roulette.

However a few years ago I fell while doing the camino and sliced my hand open requiring 6 stitches. At the time I turned down getting a tetanus shot but later decided getting tetanus was worse than getting gbs again. So I had the shot and well I still here. :)

Been to SE Asia a number of time but never South America so that is on the bucket list especially since "I am good to go" re vaccinations now

Regards

All very interesting. I am sure that I will also take a fall or two, as I am by nature a bit klutzy, despite having studied dance as a college student, and all that dancing and biking. Give me a rock, a stick, a slight lump in the road and I will hit the dirt. It's kind of a joke, at this point! or maybe not. I've got some pretty sturdy bones, but....lol....!

Ouch on your hand, dude. I'm glad you took that second look at the hierarchy of possibility (tetanus versus GB). Rather worrisome that when at our most vulnerable, our decision processes are at their least practical!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
If you decide to fall and need medical attention try to plan it near Triacastela.

Great walk in clinic and great doctor.

To return to "Why Spain?" I find it very hard to say. I have no particular fondness for Spain. Sometime in the early autumn of last year, I don't know when or how, I heard about the camino and knew that I was going to walk it. It seems like a good fit to me, since I am a Christian who has been on pilgrimage before (not a walking pilgrimage, but a religious pilgrimage) to Walsingham and to Israel, many years ago. I am also a walker who spends most of my holiday time backpacking. The chance to combine these two activities for a couple of months in northern Spain may seem logical, and inexpensive for a poor senior. But the truth is, as soon as I heard of the camino, I knew that I was going to walk it. You might say, Spain is a bonus. I am now busily trying to learn some Spanish and get in shape. There is something for me there, although I don't know what.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To return to "Why Spain?" I find it very hard to say. I have no particular fondness for Spain. Sometime in the early autumn of last year, I don't know when or how, I heard about the camino and knew that I was going to walk it. It seems like a good fit to me, since I am a Christian who has been on pilgrimage before (not a walking pilgrimage, but a religious pilgrimage) to Walsingham and to Israel, many years ago. I am also a walker who spends most of my holiday time backpacking. The chance to combine these two activities for a couple of months in northern Spain may seem logical, and inexpensive for a poor senior. But the truth is, as soon as I heard of the camino, I knew that I was going to walk it. You might say, Spain is a bonus. I am now busily trying to learn some Spanish and get in shape. There is something for me there, although I don't know what.

I'm working on getting in shape too. Teaching high school is so exhausting that sometimes I just don't have the energy, but only 22 teaching days before retirement!

By the way, I too knew I'd walk the Camino when I heard of it, at church. There was a talk going on, and I did NOT want to stay; suddenly, I was hearing about the Camino de Santiago, learning of the scallop shell, watching the backpacks walking along, seeing photos of churches and albuerges and crosses--and I was just very suddenly a pilgrim.

My love affair with Spain started as a 16 year old participant in a program called an Experiment in International Living: 2 weeks intensive Spanish followed by a one month homestay. I was placed with a family in Valladolid. We then travelled throughout Andalucia for two weeks. The following summer I was invited to return to live with the family of my then boyfriend. I ended up getting a degree in Romance languages but only once returned to Spain.

Fast forward 25+ years. It's February 2010. While surfing the internet for information on the GR 11 I came upon a site about the Camino. I was immediately sold. In March I joined the forum and in July I walked from St. Jean.

I have been back to walk and/or volunteer every year since. I guess that you could say that I fell in love with Spain twice.

My love affair with Spain started as a 16 year old participant in a program called an Experiment in International Living: 2 weeks intensive Spanish followed by a one month homestay. I was placed with a family in Valladolid. We then travelled throughout Andalucia for two weeks. The following summer I was invited to return to live with the family of my then boyfriend. I ended up getting a degree in Romance languages but only once returned to Spain.

Fast forward 25+ years. It's February 2010. While surfing the internet for information on the GR 11 I came upon a site about the Camino. I was immediately sold. In March I joined the forum and in July I walked from St. Jean.

I have been back to walk and/or volunteer every year since. I guess that you could say that I fell in love with Spain twice.

What a great opportunity it was for you, as a young person, to get involved in that international experiment, and I can see that it has made you an educated and worldly person. Perfect outcome.

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Who knows about the "educated and worldly" but it obviously had an impact on a 16 year old American. What I did not explain is that my call to participate in this program was based on a less than positive experience the summer before biking through Germany, Switzerland and Austria. It was my first trip to Europe. The scenery was amazing but I was so frustrated that I could not communicate with the locals. Hence my life long interest in languages. Plus it great fun!

Much success in your next phase of life @AugustCaminodeb
Buen Camino!

"Imagine my delight, when I learned--two years ago--that 12% of my DNA is from the Iberian Peninsula area, and more specifically, I can trace my genealogy to an area in the Pyrenees. Yes, the Pyrenees".

Wow, The accuracy in DNA anlysis is amazing.
Could you give more information about that point (company, prices,etc)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"Imagine my delight, when I learned--two years ago--that 12% of my DNA is from the Iberian Peninsula area, and more specifically, I can trace my genealogy to an area in the Pyrenees. Yes, the Pyrenees".

Wow, The accuracy in DNA anlysis is amazing.
Could you give more information about that point (company, prices,etc)

I do genealogy research, and have a huge family tree posted on Ancestry.com. If you take their DNA test, which you purchase through their site, they will send you the kit, basic saliva test, and mail it back.

For me, because I had already traced my ancestors back really far on my dad's side--which was easier, as my grandma was a blue blood American (Captain Joseph Seavey, from Maine led in the American Revolution) and my grandfather's people are also fairly easy to trace--no big divergent loops off the track.

When I got my DNA sample, the 12% Iberian Peninsula could be matched to the research on Dad's paternal side--as I had traced Dad to S. France. I found specific mention of a locale in which ancestors lived, and it is in the Pyrenees. You need to do some of your own research to track specifics. I'll go back into the site and get some specific detail and do a little edit here.

They are really great, and part of what you get through them--if you join the site--is an amazing map showing your percentages in transparent color circles. For example, I have ancestors from Scotland, and that percentage is a nice little circle over that area with a percentage. I actually have enough Scottish blood (The Ritchie clan, on maternal grandma's side) that I have researched our kilt pattern, etc.

Very cool stuff.

Imagine my delight, when I learned--two years ago--that 12% of my DNA is from the Iberian Peninsula area, and more specifically, I can trace my genealogy to an area in the Pyrenees. Yes, the Pyrenees.

If you are talking about an area on the Spanish part of the Pyrenees, depending on the specific area, you might find locals speak both Spanish and a local language.

I wanted to travel to Patagonia. Someone suggested having some Spanish language would be a good idea, if only to get on the right bus.

So I went to Granada Spain and took lessons for some time. I'd never been to Europe and was deeply impressed by the history and culture that is so markedly absent in my country.

I was impressed by the transportation system that runs on time and connects to everything. Again, unlike here at home.

I was impressed that I could buy a bottle of wine in the grocery store and not break the bank ... unlike here at home.

I was impressed by the implementation of Justinian principles of public trust doctrine regarding access to the sea. Here access to and views of the sea is blocked by condos.

There is the relatively warm dry weather in winter months ... unlike here at home.

Yup. I could move to Spain.

Last edited by a moderator:
"When I got my DNA sample, the 12% Iberian Peninsula could be matched to the research on Dad's paternal side--as I had traced Dad to S. France. I found specific mention of a locale in which ancestors lived, and it is in the Pyrenees. You need to do some of your own research to track specifics. I'll go back into the site and get some specific detail and do a little edit here."

I think the problem of those companies involved in DNA analysis must be to get samples from very specific areas. for instance Valle del Cinca in the Pyrenees that would be very expensive. I suppose that they have information about bigger areas, like Basques, Northern Spain, South Spain, etc.

And honestly, how narrow do you really, really need it? Because I linked that amount of DNA to a name (and located in within place), I'm satisfied.

Of course, I spent a good hour combing through my Ancestry.com site, and now realize that it's 12% Irish, with 9% Iberian. Better change my travel plans, and I'll start practicing tipping me cold mug o' beer! (says I in my finest Irish brogue).

The Iberian Peninsula information is very interesting. I'll edit and include info when I'm not distracting myself playing in the sun and dirt.

Pelegrin, from the section on the ancestry.com DNA page in which my Iberian Peninsula (trace DNA, not major!) is detailed:

Iberian Peninsula
Primarily located in: Spain, Portugal

Also found in: France, Morocco, Algeria, Italy

Separated from the rest of continental Europe by the Pyrenees Mountains, the Iberian Peninsula lies between the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. Gibraltar, at the peninsula’s southern tip, is just a little over nine miles from the north coast of Africa. This proximity would play a major part in the history and identity of Spain and Portugal.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Al the optimist what you mention above regarding a common gene wouldn't surprise me although I assume that it would also apply to women. Or maybe they only did the investigation in men (which is often the case in medical research). The reason I bring this up is that during my student days I was facinated by the basques and read a book that I still remember - Le Mystère Basque. It talked about the common blood type O between inhabitants of the Basque region and the British Isles. Type B and AB amongst the Basques is almost non-existent and they have the largest Rh - factor in the world (35%). Another fun trivia: according to studies, many believe that the Basques are direct descendants of the Cro-Magnon.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has his PhD in a related field and worked in Germany alongside a team that has done quite a bit of Human genome research so had his DNA tested. Definite ancient Irish Celt lines, O Neg blood and the red hair. Some of this is associated with Neanderthals.
I know there are also clusters in the Swat Valley in Pakistan and in the Basque areas too.

I wouldn't mind getting my genetics analysed as my mother is a green eyed, pale skinned, redhead and we have ancestors from Scotland. I have my father's Polynesian colouring but otherwise we look and sound quite alike. We also have ancestors from the Channel Islands so it is quite possible some Spanish genes may have passed through via France.

I first came across Hispanic culture when I was a med student completing a 3 month elective in Suriname. I spent a few days in Caracas on the way home, got befriended by some locals and spent a few days with them and became totally besotted with that whole Latin feel of the culture which was so different to the more Caribbean culture of the Guianas.
Tried learning a little Spanish on my return to NZ but it wasn't the right time or place to get into it. But I love the magical reality that pervades Latin American literature. And more traditional music forms as well.

Something put the idea of a camino in my head about 18 months ago, I had long service leave coming up and I wanted to do something special with that time. The more I research all things Spanish, the more I am falling in love with the place. When I read about the VDLP I was hooked as I used to study Latin, love mosaics and it just seemed a brilliant opportunity to combine all my obsessions into one glorious trip.
I look at the pictures of the Sanabres and it reminds me so much of where I grew up in NZ. Some of the VDLP remind me of parts of the Northern Territory where I live now.

"I do genealogy research, and have a huge family tree posted on Ancestry.com. If you take their DNA test, which you purchase through their site, they will send you the kit, basic saliva test, and mail it back".

I knew Igenea.com.
Some years ago I almost send my saliva to them, because I tried to solve the big controversy about if we the Galegos are celtic of or not. :(
In my case all my ancestors are from rural Galicia (as far as I know). So I am a good sample to determine the proportion of Central Europe, Mediterranean Europe, North Africa, etc. in Galician genes.
Finally I didn´t do it, but still have the curiousity.

"I do genealogy research, and have a huge family tree posted on Ancestry.com. If you take their DNA test, which you purchase through their site, they will send you the kit, basic saliva test, and mail it back".

I knew Igenea.com.
Some years ago I almost send my saliva to them, because I tried to solve the big controversy about if we the Galegos are celtic of or not. :(
In my case all my ancestors are from rural Galicia (as far as I know). So I am a good sample to determine the proportion of Central Europe, Mediterranean Europe, North Africa, etc. in Galician genes.
Finally I didn´t do it, but still have the curiousity.

If you are curious, you should just do it! Honestly, I am very glad to have done genealogy studies, and supplemented my studies with a DNA test. I am about 54% Western European, 12% Irish, 9% Iberian Peninsula, and 2% Asian--and the rest, British. With that small Asian portion, it is a trace amount, so that means it is a little unclear, but that said--I definitely know I am primarily W. European.

€46,-
If you are curious, you should just do it! Honestly, I am very glad to have done genealogy studies, and supplemented my studies with a DNA test. I am about 54% Western European, 12% Irish, 9% Iberian Peninsula, and 2% Asian--and the rest, British. With that small Asian portion, it is a trace amount, so that means it is a little unclear, but that said--I definitely know I am primarily W. European.
Deb, that Asian component is probably the Mongolian contribution from Genghis Khan.

Deb, that Asian component is probably the Mongolian contribution from Genghis Khan.
In the ancestry site, the DNA from Asia specifically shows up as Southern Asia---as in India, so I don't think so, although it is a very interesting suggestion!

I think that SE Asia is a very difficult (region) for people just a little older. The heat and humidity is hard. In my mid-thirties and early forties, I did get to the point in Cambodia at which I could do major runs and bike trips in the heat, as well as work (from a motorcycle around town, selling advertisement0. I do not feel as comfortable--as a 55-year-old--to traipse around SE Asia anymore. I could certainly bend your ear with a few war and bar stories...

:eek: You must be an old 55! :p (now running for my life!)

My wife and I have several years on you and we traipse around South East Asia all the time. The month in Ladakh, the treks in East Timor and Nepal, the challenges of getting to Padang in Sumatra by only public transport in six days in time to catch a flight home, the trips upriver in Borneo and Laos, the summiting of Kinabalu, the bet to get around most of Myanmar while never using the same mode of transport twice, the stays in the hill country of Thailand, the walks around the streets of Ho Chi Minh, the exploration of the Philippine and Indonesian islands.... actually, a few of those may have been before we were 55 but the best ones have been after. Asia is still traipsable to us older folk!!

€46,-

My wife and I have several years on you and we traipse around South East Asia all the time. The month in Ladakh, the treks in East Timor and Nepal, the challenges of getting to Padang in Sumatra by only public transport in six days in time to catch a flight home, the trips upriver in Borneo and Laos, the summiting of Kinabalu, the bet to get around most of Myanmar while never using the same mode of transport twice, the stays in the hill country of Thailand, the walks around the streets of Ho Chi Minh, the exploration of the Philippine and Indonesian islands.... actually, a few of those may have been before we were 55 but the best ones have been after. Asia is still traipsable to us older folk!!

I lived there for so long....to be honest, it's a second home to me, but when you live in Cambodia for eight years plus, "you" tend to want to go someplace new. I have been in N. Thailand and stayed with the hill tribes, travelled down the Mekong River from N. Thailand to Luang Prabang, Laos, and trekked from S. Laos across the DMZ border crossing in Vietnam. I have spent hours upon hours in the Siem Reap Angkor Wat temples, and scoured the cat temple in P Penh for my missing kittens....I have been in AK 47 fire, and gotten through a military coupe or a two-day battle, however you look at it. I've had surgeries in Cambodia, and in Thailand.

It's not that I'm an "old" 55---you better run, mister!!--it's just that SE Asia has gotten too familiar for me to feel any sense of novelty there, and further, it's just really freakin' hot, muggy, and dusty.

That said, I will be back in Cambodia before too long, via Bangkok, where I have several favorite stomping grounds (but not Khao San Road).

...I see you are in Singapore! Why, SE Asia is right there for you.

From here, it's a full 24 hours of rather exhausting travel. That also impacts my feelings about continuing to go back and forth. Seriously, I've made probably twenty RT flights between LAX and BKK. I hope to spend a lot more time seeing some new places.

(said the old, old lady!)

Spainish ancestry
Amerindian ancestry
with a recent dab of Cherokee on moms side,
Dad was a bit swarthy in complexion but with fine features,blue eyes and black hair. Mom,pale complected and delicate featured.
Me,black haired and emerald eyed.
I have wondered for decades that if I walked in Spain,if i would find relatives in a distant seaport town.
We used many sources within limited budgets to trace our tree
Found records into 1785 detailing our sapling in Texas

I wonder if in some distant church i will find more info?
I speak Spainish,not TexMex..lol...and found people looking at me funny when i was carrying on in Spainish about Marcus Aurelius,his writing and pre Christian ethos with a visiting nun.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I wanted to travel to Patagonia. Someone suggested having some Spanish language would be a good idea, if only to get on the right bus.

So I went to Granada Spain and took lessons for some time. I'd never been to Europe and was deeply impressed by the history and culture that is so markedly absent in my country.

I was impressed by the transportation system that runs on time and connects to everything. Again, unlike here at home.

I was impressed that I could buy a bottle of wine in the grocery store and not break the bank ... unlike here at home.

I was impressed by the implementation of Justinian principles of public trust doctrine regarding access to the sea. Here access to and views of the sea is blocked by condos.

There is the relatively warm dry weather in winter months ... unlike here at home.

Yup. I could move to Spain.
As another BC resident I fully agree with your views.

As another BC resident I fully agree with your views.

I understand how you both must feel, as a Pacific NW resident.

I wonder if you could consider purchasing an albuergue together and living half of the year on the Camino? Or some other creative solution? I do understand that life--bills, partners, anchors--can sometimes impede wildest dreams, but...

Trust me the idea has crossed my mind a few times

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
I understand how you both must feel, as a Pacific NW resident.

I wonder if you could consider purchasing an albuergue together and living half of the year on the Camino? Or some other creative solution? I do understand that life--bills, partners, anchors--can sometimes impede wildest dreams, but...

Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Well in Spain it might not be grass especially if you are thinking of settling down and setting up shop on the Meseta

Most read last week in this forum

Netflix Brazil are planning to make a film version of Paulo Coelho's book "The Pilgrimage". I've started reading the book several times and never managed more than a few pages before giving up. I...
Just finished walking the Camino Ingles/Camino Finisterre ( now languishing in the Seminario Menor in Santiago) I witnessed something a few days ago that I simply have to share. Walking with two...
I've seen a lot of posts about etiquette generally and after 3 Camino's I've spent a fair number of nights in albergues so, I'd like to focus on light/noise etiquette in albergues. Remembering...
As I've been reflecting on my Camino's, I've been creating a list of memorable climbs on the routes that I've walked. Some were long, steep, long and steep. Sometimes it's the conditions or the...
I can imagine that Ivar might wonder how the years have galloped by since he devised the project that 20 years ago became the Forum. It is of course a tribute to original values and ensuing...
For the foodies! https://english.elpais.com/lifestyle/2024-06-06/disfrutar-the-new-best-restaurant-in-the-world-is-in-barcelona.html?outputType=amp# And no, there’s no pilgrim discounts!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.