• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

wich way...

katiawt

Hi
My name is Katia, I live in Brazil and I´ve walked the portugues camino many times, and the french camino once.
This yera I´ll walk the camino del norte, I´ve already bought my tickets to Santander :D - I have only 25 days to walk.
My problem is that I can not decide if it´s better to walk along the coast or to walk the camino primitivo...
Which one has less "carreteras", less asphalt ???
Which one is more beautiful in october ???
Thanks for your help.
Katia

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Katia,

I cant help you with which one is better, i have only walked the coastal way, but im going to suggest a possible option of not deciding until your on the camino. The Norte goes through Oviedo as well as Gijon, you could leave the decision until then. If your worried about wanting a guide in advance, then you could get printouts off Mundicamino and the Eurski Consumer sites, they both give detailed advice on both routes, i met a Polish guy when i was on the Norte who was taking 4-5 days worth of printouts at a time and was going on to Oviedo to do the Primitivo.

Goodluck, you never know we may end up running into each other, i am doing the Primitivo later on in the year either from VIllaviciosa or Covadonga(GR105 route]).

Mike

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Katia,
I walked the primitivo last year and i think it's absolutely beautiful. From what I heard it is less asphalt than the norte, and in kms shorter, but a little heavier to walk. I started in Bilbao, and it took me 25 days to get to Santiago (and i had some 'lazy days' of 14 km), so I think your planning is okay. Don't know about how it is in october, i was there in July...
good luck,
ria

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back