• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wild Nephin national park Co. Mayo Ireland walk shelters.

MickMac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
Just watched a report of an Irish walk in County Mayo,
Irish Television reported this great development walking County Mayo Ireland in Nephin national Park.

The park has developed abandoned famine cottages in the park to shelter people walking the park, the free of charge shelters has one condition the park ask walkers to just leave the cottages as you found them.

They resemble the shelter on the Napoleon route Camino Frances in the Pyrenees but much bigger these cottages were abandoned by Irish families during the great famine known as the great hunger of 1845.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just watched a report of an Irish walk in County Mayo,
Irish Television reported this great development walking County Mayo Ireland in Nephin national Park.

The park has developed abandoned famine cottages in the park to shelter people walking the park, the free of charge shelters has one condition the park ask walkers to just leave the cottages as you found them.

They resemble the shelter on the Napoleon route Camino Frances in the Pyrenees but much bigger these cottages were abandoned by Irish families during the great famine known as the great hunger of 1845.

Thanks for this piece. The Bothy is indeed a word well known to me. Ten years before I was born, it was the scene of a tragic fire in my hometown, Kirkintilloch, a corruption of which I use as my forum name. It is a translation of Caerpentalloch, Fort at the end of the ridge. Antonine wall, Western end
Anyone interested please use a search engine of your choice.
I am holding my breath regarding respect for this generous offer of a shelter based on trust.
In the not too distant future I may be able to check it out, depends on which boreen Apple maps directs me towards. 😇 I will report before the end of the year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.