Wildfires in Portugal

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Jan 9, 2012
West Sussex, England
Time of past OR future Camino
Has anyone now walking the Portugues route had a problem with the wildfires?
If you want to know the current wild-fire status use this website: https://effis.jrc.ec.europa.eu/apps/effis_current_situation/

If you click between Today and Last 7 Days you will see that the situation changes rapidly. There does not seem to have been any fires directly impacting areas carrying actual Caminho routes in the last seven days except around Braga and Guimaraes. Tomorrow?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Apr 7, 2023
USA
September-October 2021

Friend from Barquinha

Veteran Member
Feb 28, 2019
Vila Nova da Barquinha
None yet; perhaps the Portugese (2021?)
In spite of the prolonged drought and the occasional bout of insanely hot weather, it actually has not been a bad year for wildfires in Portugal in 2023.

Also, there has been a LOT of training of the firefighting teams (mostly volunteer) in the small towns. They are far more prepared to deal with wildfires than they were a few years ago, and they tend to put them out pretty fast. Fogos.pt is good for monitoring. By colour-coding, it shows whether a fire is actively burning, extinguished and being watched, or gone, and also shows how many personnel, vehicles, and/or planes are fighting active fires.

The horrendous fire of a few years ago, where many people died, made them take wildfires far more seriously.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

We are starting to walk the Camino from Lisboa at the end of May. We believe we have two option if we want to walk the Camino Portugeese from Lisboa and to visit Fatima on our Camino, (1) I...
I am looking to walk the Camino Portuguese next spring. It seems as though many start in Porto instead of Lisbon. I would like to have a longer Camino — so the question is - what is the Lisbon to...
We are starting our 2nd Camino at the end of May starting is Lisboa (Last year we walked the Camino Frances). We believe that this part of the camino starting from Lisboa is less supported than...
Has anyone found a spreadsheet planning tool to plan stages for Camino Portugues. I am not sure yet which route I will take but likely to be a mixture. I used one for the Camino Francais which was...
Hi all, I just finished my first Camino. I was on the Portugues route from Porto to Santiago: Coastal till Vila do Conde after that Central till Santiago. I would love to give back some of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides