• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will I miss part of the experience camping in camp grounds?

Danny Fernandez

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino virgin
Hello all,

I'll by cycling from Bilbao - Santiago for approx 2 weeks in Aug.

I'll be taking a tent and would like to camp the entire way.

I think i've decided not to wild camp, mainly as it'll mean that I'll be needing to look after my bike until dark (when I assume would be the safest time to pitch a tent). I figured if I do it legally, I can rock up in the afternoon, pitch my tent, leave my bike and explore the town without worrying about my things.

So I'm thinking of staying in Campsites, but as I've read, a lot of the Northern route is where Spanish take their holidays, and as a result, I imagine a lot of camp sites will be filled with holidaying Spanish, rather than those on the Camino.

My third option is seeing if I can camp in albergues, but I've heard that they give priority to walkers.

Has anyone camped on the Northern route, and if so, where did you stay, and how was your experience?

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Some Albergues have green areas or gardens around them. I camped at the Soto de Luina albergue with the hospitalero's approval and have seen it done at the Sobrado dox Monxes monastery. You could have the best of both worlds, pilgrim company in the evening and the peace of your tent at night.

I camped on the Frances. First time rode bike. Second time walked. Camped outside at some of the A'bergs.

Never walked/biked the Northern. So, dont know about camping out side of A'bergs on the NC.

As far as priority given. Yes walkers come first. But if you let the hospitalero know you are sleeping outside then priority is not a problem. Unless they make you wait outside till log in all the walkers.

I told only using shower, kitchen and do clothes. So won't be in the way. All of the ones I dealt with were happy to make a Euro off a piece of ground out back.

Good luck

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It depends on what "the experience" is that you are looking for. If you are talking about listening to 15 other people snoring all night long and hardly getting any sleep, you may be better off. For me bicycling, I didn't get the experience of walking and talking to people. I did get the experience of sharing my thoughts, joys, fears, motivations, etc. with other pilgrims during communal meals at Alberques and in small restaurants/bars where I toasted the people at the next table on their Camino as an ice breaker and then we moved tables closer together to talk. I think for everyone camaraderie is a major part of the Camino experience. It depends on how social you are. If you spend times in Alberque kitchens or group meals or you socialize at bar/restaurants you will get that camaraderie. I even found it at a Laundromat in Leon waiting for my clothes to wash and dry while talking to other pilgrims doing the same thing.

Just to add, there is probably a few places that you could camp, Basque country I am uncertain about, the first one I would gamble on is Guemes, 12-18km before the ferry to Santander. There is a campsite in Santillana del Mar it has two huts which house pilgrims so you could camp there and mix with pilgrims. La Isla ,I'm pretty sure the hospitalera will let pilgrims pitch up in the garden. Tapia you could sleep on the cliff top next to the Albergue, which is on a cliff top with the sea crashing into rocks in the background. Baamonde might, have a look for the weir/river nearby good to go swimming in and has big grass sitting areas next to it which attracts cyclists and has facilities.

I'm not sure that you will find enough campsites, but one we enjoyed was as you enter Zarautz - it also has an albergue in the grounds. There is another on the far side of Santillana del Mar, also with an albergue, but the albergue was closed shortly after we were there because they had a bedbug outbreak. So we were glad we had camped and not stayed in the albergue!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Will I miss part of the experience camping in camp grounds? Yes! But then, as Older Guy says, "It depends on what "the experience" is that you are looking for." Last summer I did the CF, planning to camp. Sent the tent home, ASAP.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back