• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Camino

WayneStewart

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan: walk Dec 13 - Jan 14
G'Day,
My son and I are walking the Camino starting SJPP on 30 Nov or possibly the day after.
Not ideal time but fits in with his uni summer vacation.
We are flying into London, train to Paris and onwards.
I gather based on averages about 4-5 people per day will start from SJ?
What is the Auberge situation like through December? Are we likely to find many closed doors?
Cheers
Wayne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Many, if not most, of the small places close around October 31. Call ahead. In towns with two or more albergues, one usually stays open. Be prepared for cold nights. Heat may not be available. Food should not be a problem unless the albergue is the only place in town, and it is closed. Even the country bars will be open since they cater as much to local customers as pilgrims.

Buen camino!

Wayne,

Although not all albergues will be open starting mid October the hospitaleros usually know who is on the next stage. You will find the welcome at those albergues which are open to be most sincere; generally they will either be heated or have blankets.

Since one never knows with the weather the best advice is to BE PREPARED for extremes. November nights could be very cold with freezing rain or snow. Learn to read the sky for possible storms.Regarding the state of the path and weather forecasts be sure to ask the locals and watch TV reports.

In bad weather many steep ascents/descents on the camino MIGHT be treacherous and following smaller parallel roads necessary. For example crossing from SJPdP to Roncevalles and then descending to Zubiri, up and down the Alto de Perdon, the stretch from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca.

Even late last November my climb up to O Cebriero after Ruitelan eventually was packed with a meter of snow in white-out conditions. Luckily I knew the alternate bicycle path and met a guardian angel! At the summit the open albergue offered us welcoming shelter, heat and companionship.

Stay safe and Buen Camino to you both,

Margaret Meredith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Wayne, my wife and I have walked the CF twice in the Dec-Feb timeframe. We always found an albergue open in the major stage break cities and towns. Accommodation in smaller towns was much harder to find. We always had the hospitalero call ahead to confirm what was open, and that worked out fine. Be advised that even albergues that advertise as being open all year might not be, as people seem to take vacations without notice or close for a day or two around holidays. We walked into Santo Domingo on Christmas Eve, expecting the municipal albergue to be open (as advertised), but it wasn't. Fortunately a local young lady, seeing our predicament, made some phone calls, and eventually the door swung open. It is a great time of the year to walk. I would much rather walk in 30F than 90F weather. Speaking of weather you can find quite a variety at this time of year. Temps can range from 20F to 70F. We had several days this past Jan in Navarre where the temps were 60-70F. Snow is to be expected in the higher elevations, and rain/sleet is always a possibility. If the Camino path is drifted in the road is usually walkable. Obviously caution must be used when road walking in this kind of weather, but it is usually doable. It is possible that you might have to hole up for a day or two if a bad weather system overtakes you. It is all part of the journey. Enjoy and Buen Camino.

John

About 100 hours till we are leaving from Australia, don't start walking until dec 1.
Simultaneously very excited and absolutely terrified.
I wonder how many others will be starting from Saint Jean on that day?

I'm starting out from Madrid that day and am (just) managing not to count down the hours. Hope you have a great time. Ultreya!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
G'Day,
My son and I are walking the Camino starting SJPP on 30 Nov or possibly the day after.
Not ideal time but fits in with his uni summer vacation.
We are flying into London, train to Paris and onwards.
I gather based on averages about 4-5 people per day will start from SJ?
What is the Auberge situation like through December? Are we likely to find many closed doors?
Cheers
Wayne

Hi Wayne - yes, you are likely to find some alberge/hostals closed during the winter. If you plan your daily walk you could actually phone ahead and check there is accommodation. Pilgrim Office in SJPP has a list which will help you. They also will give you a weather forecast, and if they say don't walk because the conditions are bad, don't walk!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back