• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Worried about St Jean

scott888

Time of past OR future Camino
May 11th (2013)
Hello All,

Just signed up to the forum, having booked my flight and train to St Jean a couple of days ago. Now I'm worried about finding somewhere to stay!

I arrive on the 11th of May in St Jean (train arrives at 16:14 apparently). I knew already that L'esprit du chemin was fully booked. Knowing this, I had planned to just turn up and hope to find somewhere to stay, but having looked on the Auberge du pèlerin website only to see that it also was full for the 11th leads me to worry about finding a bed!

I'm really excited about going but am unsure what to do about sleeping on my first night. Could anyone advise me if there is a need to book somewhere, and if so, where is good and contactable in English (or can be done online)?

I plan on walking to Roncesvalles so I'm hoping there is no need to book for any further nights, and can then just stay where I can.

Thanks for your help!

Scott

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The pilgrim office at 39 rue de citadel also seem to have their finger on the pulse of what's available and they work really hard to get people sorted.

scott888,

Here is the SJPdP tourism board link in French for all the pilgrim albergues in the SJPdP area. Reading this you can see which place's do take reservations and have email or websites.>>
http://www.saintjeanpieddeport-paysbasq ... WzEkOx_c0k

However if you do arrive in SJPdP without a reservation don't panic. The Pilgrim Office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle usually stays open for the arrival of the last train. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season it is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They can provide you with a Credential and lodging assistance. Their volunteers help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle. This is a fine place to stay, but they do NOT take reservations. If their albergue is full they will help you find other pilgrim lodgings when you are on site. They keep up to the minute lists of available space throughout the SJPdP area. By the way the station in St Jean is miniscule and closes for the night after the last train arrives so you can not sleep there.

Good luck and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Most places I find say the Pilgrims Office closes at 22hr (10:00PM) but it looks like the last train gets in at 22:30 (10:30PM). If I take the last train in, will they be open to help me? Or should I stay in Bayonne?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you download the Gites de France app you will find numerous bed and breakfast alternatives in Saint Jean. The app is very useful for anyone walking in France.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
blessedtraveler said:
Most places I find say the Pilgrims Office closes at 22hr (10:00PM) but it looks like the last train gets in at 22:30 (10:30PM). If I take the last train in, will they be open to help me? Or should I stay in Bayonne?
Unless you manage to get a confirmed gite booking, telling them the hour of your arrival, I think it would be best to stay in Bayonne at that hour, and come to SJPP the next day, then walk up as far as Hunto or Orisson if you wish.
Margaret

KiwiNomad06 said:
blessedtraveler said:
Unless you manage to get a confirmed gite booking, telling them the hour of your arrival, I think it would be best to stay in Bayonne at that hour, and come to SJPP the next day, then walk up as far as Hunto or Orisson if you wish.
Margaret

In season the Pilgrim Office usually stays open for the arrival of the last train. However, 10:30 pm is a bit late to be searching for a place to stay in SJPdP !

As Margaret notes why not stay in Bayonne in a small place such at the Monte Carlo which conveniently close to the Gare? Here is their web >> http://hotel-montecarlo.allcommerces.com/. Next morning you can easily catch the early TER line 62 train to SJPdP.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thanks for the advice. I'm at the airport now waiting to leave for France and still don't know what I will be doing tomorrow night. Due to a family crisis, I haven't been able to sit down and look for places to stay in either town. I know that no matter what, God will provide. So I'm going to trust in that while I take a few moments to look online. Hopefully its not very pricy as this crisis has made my funding a bit less than was planned.
Thanks again
Kim

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
blessedtraveler said:
Thanks for the advice. I'm at the airport now waiting to leave for France and still don't know what I will be doing tomorrow night. Due to a family crisis, I haven't been able to sit down and look for places to stay in either town. I know that no matter what, God will provide. So I'm going to trust in that while I take a few moments to look online. Hopefully its not very pricy as this crisis has made my funding a bit less than was planned.
Thanks again
Kim

I hope that everything is OK with your family!
I also know that you have found a place to stay (almost wanted to say "hope" instead of "know" :)
Be confident and strong.
Buen Camino,
S

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back