• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Would like to stay in church/monasteries along Chemin du Puy

gypsy9

hello pilgrims,

I would specifically like to stay in monasteries/churches along Chemin du Puy. I do not mind simple/rustic as architecture and possible mass wins over gastro for this pilgrim..

I was hoping that someone had information regarding where to stop: villages and monastery names?
I am finding these details difficult to find.
My French is limited and I was hoping to reserve (if possible) a day ahead at Tourish Information Offices.
Thank you kindly in advance.
I plan to begin in Le Puy en Velay

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I only stopped at one monestary, Conques, and I highly recommend the place. The sleeping is cramped, the showers are well, they will get you clean, the atmosphere is very Spanish alberque - However - the evening repaste is begun with singing Ultreia in French and dinner is followed by a Pilgrims mass in the amazing church there, with luck their organist will be in residence, one of the top three in all of France, a monk residing there! A lovely experience. Mind the steep descent going down to Conques, do your streches in the morning before leaving, nothing hysteric but will give a good indication if your cardiovascular and respiratory systems are still working though you may have doubts when leaving!

gypsy9,

I certainly agree with Scruffy that Conques is a memorable experience. To help you find other monasteries along the Le Puy route try entering the terms Le Puy camino monasteries in the search bar above. Also peruse some of the blogs written by fellow Forum members concerning the Le Puy route for further info. See for example that by KiwiNomad06 http://chemincamino08.blogspot.com/.

Happy planning,

Margaret Meredith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St. Come d'Olt, Conques, Figeac, Vaylats, Moissac, and Condom come to mind.

Figeac convent is 7 Avenue Jean Jaurès. I have no idea how you find it; we stayed there because a French woman had a list of "secret" places along the Chemin. Women stay in the convent and can go to vespers. Men have a separate room next to the kitchen by the front door.

You should be able to find the others in standard guides.

General guidance: http://www.webcompostella.com/Les-a...chemin-de-St-Jacques-de-Compostelle_a442.html
Jean Marc and wife operate a gite in St. Privat d'Allier, and the reception is very friendly, but the English limited.

From a French site (it has Figeac):
Gîte Accueil Saint François

rue Saint Mayol
43000 Le Puy en Velay
04 71 05 98 86
Nuit 18€50 avec Pdj. Repas 10€50

Hospitalité chrétienne Pèlerins d'Emmaüs + Oratoire not a monastery
chemin du bonheur
43580 Saint Privat d'Allier
04 71 57 21 56 Libre Participation (donativo)
Marie et Jean-Marc

COUVENT DE MALET
route d'Aubrac
12500 Saint CĂ´me d'Olt
05 65 51 03 20

Accueil pèlerin HOSPITALITE SAINT JACQUES + Oratoire not a monastery; a former chapel
8 rue du collége
12190 Estaing
05 65 44 19 00

ABBAYE SAINTE FOY
Communauté des Frères Prémontrés
12320 Conques
05 65 69 89 43

Accueil pèlerin LE CARMEL de FIGEAC
7 avenue Jean Jaurés
46100 Figeac
05 65 34 27 53 Participation libre (Donativo)

Accueil LE GRAND COUVENT
33 avenue Louis Mazet Libre Participation
46500 Gramat
05 65 38 73 29
06 37 22 62 11 (Soeur en charge de l'accueil)

Accueil Pèlerin des SOEURS du CANTOU
rue de la Mercerie
46500 Rocamadour
05 65 33 73 69 Libre participation

MONASTERE DES FILLES DE JESUS
46230 Vaylats
05 65 31 63 51
Soeur Monique

Accueil pèlerin MONASTERE NOTRE DAME
Soeurs Dominicaines
Escayrac
46800 Lascabanes
05 65 31 87 15 Participation libre (donativo)
Artisanat fait par les Soeurs.
8 places. Repas du soir et petit déjeuner.

Accueil pèlerin Communauté religieuse
MARIE MERE de L'EGLISE
20 boulevard Camille Delthil
82200 Moissac
05 63 32 28 87
Libre participation (donativo)

PRESBYTERE de Lectoure
Accueil chrétien par des hospitaliers
30 rue Nationale
32700 Lectoure
05 62 68 83 83
Participation libre (Donativo)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you kindly. Excellent. Seems most are after Conques (amazing and yes I stayed here a few years ago which is why I wish to return and to walk further along this camino). I am somewhat concerned by my lack of French. I find learning languages challenging and can only focus upon one (i.e. Spanish).

adding my thanks to those from Gypsy - we are starting from Le Puy on 27/28 April next, give a day or two I suppose - and we had this very thing in mind

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Like gypsy9, I would like to experience some of the monasteries/convents. What is considered a fair and reasonable "donativo"?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Donativos:
They'll (almost) never have a "suggested donation amount" sign anywhere--it really is up to you.
If money is an issue--if it's part of why you're staying at a donativo, maybe you can be helpful in non-monetary ways in addition to your smaller donation. ---- in many donativos, you can also help out with the meals--prepping them or cleaning up. Maybe even just ask if there's any way you can help out around the place--

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back