• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Your most valuable stamp

KariannNor

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 23, Primitivo 24, San Salvador 24
I'm at the airport, suddenly being nostalgic.

If you had to choose one sello as your most valuable, why would it be that one? Could be a religious or spiritual experience, the people you met, because it looks good or whatever.

Mine is from Llanos de Someron and albergue Caseoxu.
20240522_092539.jpg
The last kilometers after rain all day, there was a tiny trail in a deep forest. It went up up up, smaller and smaller trail full of those sticking and burning plants. Started seriously to wonder if this really was the right way. Then, it appeared a huge field of blooming fruit flowers, and the sun said hello. It was a little village of 6-7 old houses. Outside the albergue I was so totally physical and mentally tired, just dumped down in a chair in the garden. Then the owner came to me with icecold water and some nuts and a bag he said I should put my clothes in later and he would wash them. He sat down with me, asked how my Camino had been so far. I hadn't spoken to a human for two days, it was so nice and calming to be seen and listened to.
After shower I went into the fields petting the horses, curious of me and glad for contact. Also made friends with a dog with a beautiful soul.
We were only four there, two Italian men and a German. At a wonderful dinner we listened to each others stories and life. I still keep contact with the German man.

So, dive into the drawer and take down from the wall. Tell us your story of your most valuable sello.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I didn't knew, try to put my post there ;)
Your story is lovely, @KariannNor!

I have chosen two with special memories from my recent Camino Sanabres...
This sello is from a little "hippie oasis" we walked by on a rainy day in a small village. We darted in, hoping for shelter to eat our little lunch. It was cute and kitchy, and had all kinds of little snacks and drinks, a donation box and this self serve sello stamp. No one was around, but it felt like if the Camino provides, this was at exactly the right moment!
IMG_20240522_083813103~2.jpg

This one is from the monastery in Oseira. I loved the grounds, the afternoon tour of the massive church and its three cloisters, and Vespers in the evening with the Monks.
IMG_20240522_084312864~2.jpg

And THIS is why the credencial is the single most significant “takeaway” from your Camino. Just looking at your credencials and reminiscing- even years later - provides instant time travel.

You are returned to that place and time. For most of us, the memories remain visceral and profound.

I always tell people to save and preserve their credencials. Mine have gotten me through some rough periods at home, post Camino.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Mine is actually a photo. A mother and daughter. I cannot post because it would not be right to do so. We met them first in Leon, and then along the way to Santiago. Such a slip of a delightful woman, and her 15 year old daughter. The woman wanted to let her daughter experience the culture of her belonging, her country. Their clothes and gear? Regular. Nothing techie. Schoolgirl backpacks. Their effect? Better than any Aurora Borealis!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Similar previous threads:
Nice always to have a new one. Because we all now have more credentials. 🙃

Lovely story, @KariannNor, and a lovely stamp. I'm beginning to walk at about that speed.

After looking at a few credentials, the stamps that are my new favorites are all of these in a new one I got at the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago just last month. Blank spaces ready for the next camino: when and which one TBD.
20240522_173323.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
View attachment 171091
My preferred stamp is hand-designed, from a nice donativo in Gers, between Eauze and Nogaro.
I love the hand designed sellos because I love art and the "personal touch" they represent. I guess I need to walk more Caminos, hoping to get one.🙂 I've seen a few on other threads of wax stamps and one even had a tiny flower attached.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There was a wax and ribbon stamp in Palas de Rey in a little kiosk in the center of town, if I remember right. When I complimented the man on the sello (Que hermoso!), he grinned, slicked back his dark hair, and said, "Thank you" in accented English.

When I'm home next, I'll get a picture.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I'm at the airport, suddenly being nostalgic.

If you had to choose one sello as your most valuable, why would it be that one? Could be a religious or spiritual experience, the people you met, because it looks good or whatever.

Mine is from Llanos de Someron and albergue Caseoxu.
View attachment 171045
The last kilometers after rain all day, there was a tiny trail in a deep forest. It went up up up, smaller and smaller trail full of those sticking and burning plants. Started seriously to wonder if this really was the right way. Then, it appeared a huge field of blooming fruit flowers, and the sun said hello. It was a little village of 6-7 old houses. Outside the albergue I was so totally physical and mentally tired, just dumped down in a chair in the garden. Then the owner came to me with icecold water and some nuts and a bag he said I should put my clothes in later and he would wash them. He sat down with me, asked how my Camino had been so far. I hadn't spoken to a human for two days, it was so nice and calming to be seen and listened to.
After shower I went into the fields petting the horses, curious of me and glad for contact. Also made friends with a dog with a beautiful soul.
We were only four there, two Italian men and a German. At a wonderful dinner we listened to each others stories and life. I still keep contact with the German man.

So, dive into the drawer and take down from the wall. Tell us your story of your most valuable sello.
beautiful….such memories

Last October I was on the Menton - Arles section and was feeling really fed up with my pilgrimage from Rome and considering making that section my last. I took a small detour to the sanctuary Notre Dame des Graces in Cotignac and the next day walked to the nearby sanctuary to St Joseph. They didn't have a sello but a lady there drew this. The time at the sanctuaries was so peaceful and so, renewed with enthusiasm, I carried on.
A second is from Villa Imaginaire in Maubourguet a few days after Toulouse. I had a lovely relaxing afternoon in the garden of the house with some chickens roaming free. The lady asked me to choose what colour wax I would like from a big selection of colours. I've never had a wax one before.

Attachments

• DSC_5669.JPG
    DSC_5669.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC_5266.JPG
    DSC_5266.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
We got these beautiful, wax stamps today at a stop between Sahagun and El Burgo Ranero. A man was in an older truck (I thought it was a food truck from a distance). He had a selection of wax stamps to choose from. He then proceeded to melt the wax over a little stovetop. It took about 15 minutes. A great, unexpected experience!

Attachments

• PXL_20240525_081654702.jpg
    PXL_20240525_081654702.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
Last October I was on the Menton - Arles section and was feeling really fed up with my pilgrimage from Rome and considering making that section my last. I took a small detour to the sanctuary Notre Dame des Graces in Cotignac and the next day walked to the nearby sanctuary to St Joseph. They didn't have a sello but a lady there drew this. The time at the sanctuaries was so peaceful and so, renewed with enthusiasm, I carried on.
A second is from Villa Imaginaire in Maubourguet a few days after Toulouse. I had a lovely relaxing afternoon in the garden of the house with some chickens roaming free. The lady asked me to choose what colour wax I would like from a big selection of colours. I've never had a wax one before.
What a beautiful story and real wax stamp.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My favourite stamp wasn't an actual stamp, just a handwritten sentence stating the name of the bar, it's location and the date.
Last year I walked the VdlP and Sanabres and after the last stop before SdC, I veered off route and headed west. It was my intention to bypass Santiago and head to the coast first, before walking into the city from Muxia.
So my next stop was Padron and the next day I continued westwards, towards Noia, on the coast.
I came across a lovely cafe on the side of a quiet road in the village of Trobe and stopped for breakfast. There were no other customers and just one young woman working there. Once I'd finished eating I paid my bill and asked the lady if she could stamp my credencial and she looked confused.
As this cafe was several kms off any Camino route, she'd never heard of the Camino and so knew nothing of a credencial. I then spent about 20 minutes talking to her about the various Caminos and the ones I'd done in the past and she was particularly taken by all the different stamps I'd accrued after nearly 40 days of walking.
She became quite excited about the idea of her walking a Camino herself one day so I mentioned that there's actually a new Camino route from Noia, if she wanted to try one out over a few days in the future.
When I see that sentence written on my credencial, I'm always reminded of that young woman and how eager she was to walk a Camino.

@KariannNor, I see you have chosen a new avatar "stamp" today. I almost didn't recognize you.🙂
It is the symbol of "St Olavs Way" in Norway. We are trying to get more foreigners welcome here by making more not so expencive accomodations along the route, I am one of those working right now on that. So, guess my symbol choice is kind of recommendation for this route ;)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi .. idly thinking and was wondering what sort of restrictions (personal lifestyle/ethics choices) you may drop when on Camino. Par ex: I rarely ever drink coffee - too much caffeine for me .. a...
Been binging on Rob's Camino YouTube page in prep for my own trek and he oftentimes says something along the lines of "For those who want to get their passport stamped..." which led me to wonder...
Just idle tboughts Wondering if in France and other surrounding countries that if there is an english barrier-s but not Spanish? Guessing the closer you get the better the outlook on that?
Hello! My mom and I will be walking the Norte in September/October. I'd like to start a small blog to catalog our journey, and for our family back home to keep up with where we are/what we're...
Please share your stories of Camino miracles that you experienced. I’ll be there this Fall and those stories get me motivated!❤️ Thank you Deenise
For those who have worked in the Pilgrims office. (asking for a friend) Someone was refused a Compostela having walked Santiago-Muxia-Fisterra-Santiago. I thought at first maybe because they...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.