• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

A slow, easy Camino

Stets

Time of past OR future Camino
(2018)
I'm planning 20 days on the Camino Frances in August or September. I've been thinking that it would be more fun to start near the beginning (either SJPP or Pamplona) and walk at whatever pace I want, not worrying about where I end up at the end of my 20 days. I've read so many posts about pain, blisters, walking with prescription doses of Ibuprofen, etc. I don't want any of that, I want a nice leisurely 20 day walk, where I'll feel as good when I end as I did when I started.

Looking through the list of alburgues, it looks like most of the time the distance between towns with alburgues is in the 5-6 km range, with occasional gaps of 10 km or so. Is it realistic for me to be able to expect to only "have to" walk that much on any given day (though I can obviously walk more as I feel like it). Has anyone taken this approach?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh, start in SJPP, and amble for 20. Sounds like getting Compostela, at least this time is not important. If you want to come back over time to receive it: fine. Remember, this is your camino walk it as you wish.

I started in Saint Jean Pied de Port in September 2015 - and have now reached Sarria.

Admittedly I have travelled to/from the Camino Frances 4 times now, and will return in 3 weeks time to continue to Santiago de Compostela, planning on arriving in the city on my birthday.

But I have walked slowly, taking my time, from 5 days to 14 days at a time.

20 days sounds like a really good length of time. Enough for you to get a real sense of the continuity of walking every day, enough time to build friendships, enough time for yourself without restrictions.

But be prepared that once immersed in Camino life, it can be very hard to pull yourself away to return to your previous life!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I would check the distances between alburgues, from SJPP you would have to walk a lot further than 10km if you went over the Napolean route, not sure about the Valcarlos route but the second stretch there is pretty strenuous. Maybe start a bit further on where there are more places to say

You can start in Roncesvalles if the Pyrennees is too much. Just walk whatever speed you like. You'll gain a lot more from it than those who obsessively rush.

Hi @Stets , you seemed quite happy with the responses to your previous thread so I'm not sure why you have posted a variant on that question again. There are no compulsory distances on the camino, you can walk or cycle or taxi as far or as short a distance as you wish. There are no rules on the camino. There is no one in charge and no-one is responsible for your camino other than you, yourself. The camino is just a deltaic web focused on Santiago and, like Erewhon, it really doesn't matter whether you get there or not.

Enjoy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is no one in charge and no-one is responsible for your camino other than you, yourself

Although I did find it interesting the number of people who wished to impart unrequested advice on others while on the camino..... had I let it ,it may have made me feel as though they were in charge .....

Ultreia

@Stets if you want to keep the km down, but also to start in St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, then take the Valcarlos route and stay there overnight in the very good albergue. It is about 11km from St Jean to Valcarlos, and about the same distance from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles.

Most read last week in this forum