• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost & Found Backpack stolen from albergue in León

RobinNL

Time of past OR future Camino
4/13 - 4/30
Hello everyone,

This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's Sisters in León this morning.

She left her backpack at the spot where everyone places them and went for breakfast. When coming back, it was missing. The owner told her the post company did not pick it up, nor any other travel bag moving company.

My wife called the post office and they confirmed they did not take the bag. The owner called the police. It was the first time they had something like this happen in their albergue.

My wife reported the theft at the police station and also searched the albergue, the surroundings, dumpsters, etc. She is now staying with a local friend. She was planning to stay for a few days in León to recover from an injury, but is now in despair and planning to come home.

There were no valuables for a thief inside the bag, other than the bag itself. But inside was also a yellow pluchie cat that holds an enormous amount of emotional value and is irreplaceable. Other stuff missing is a mouthpiece for sleeping, a sleeping bag, tooth brush etc, some pencils, a sketch book and dirty laundry.

I'm afraid the contents of the bag, including the pluche, will be tossed aside. Therefore I ask anyone in or near León, or whoever is walking from León to the next town to keep an eye out for these belongings. My wife will still be in León tomorrow.

The backpack is a dark grey Quechua Forclaz 70L with green accents.

I really hope someone will find the bag or at least the cat pluchie (it has one eye, it's very old) and keep it safe and contact me. Please don't judge cause it might be "just a pluchie" to you. It's also very worrisome entire bags go missing.

Any other tips are welcome. Thank you so much for taking time to read this.

Buen camino,
Robin
(feeling kinda helpless so far away).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola - bummer, bummer bummer. So very sad to hear this news. Very thankful that your wife was camino wise and took all her valuables etc. Hopefully it will turn up - the request for Leon pilgrims to check the dumpsters is a good one. Cheers for now.

Anything unique about the backpack that would catch the eye of fellow hikers? Something she personalized it with or any special patches?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just write it off to experience. *Anything* you leave unattended has a chance to be stolen. Just don't do it. Unattended rucksacks piled up by the door waiting to be collected or while people have lunch never cease to amaze me! TBH, it sounds like your wife got off very lightly. A couple hour's shopping and a few hundred quid and she'll be good to go.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello everyone,

This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's Sisters in León this morning.

She left her backpack at the spot where everyone places them and went for breakfast. When coming back, it was missing. The owner told her the post company did not pick it up, nor any other travel bag moving company.

My wife called the post office and they confirmed they did not take the bag. The owner called the police. It was the first time they had something like this happen in their albergue.

My wife reported the theft at the police station and also searched the albergue, the surroundings, dumpsters, etc. She is now staying with a local friend. She was planning to stay for a few days in León to recover from an injury, but is now in despair and planning to come home.

There were no valuables for a thief inside the bag, other than the bag itself. But inside was also a yellow pluchie cat that holds an enormous amount of emotional value and is irreplaceable. Other stuff missing is a mouthpiece for sleeping, a sleeping bag, tooth brush etc, some pencils, a sketch book and dirty laundry.

I'm afraid the contents of the bag, including the pluche, will be tossed aside. Therefore I ask anyone in or near León, or whoever is walking from León to the next town to keep an eye out for these belongings. My wife will still be in León tomorrow.

I really hope someone will find the bag or at least the cat pluchie (it has one eye, it's very old) and keep it safe and contact me. Please don't judge cause it might be "just a pluchie" to you. It's also very worrisome entire bags go missing.

Buen camino,
Robin

Sorry for what have happened Robin. Very sad and unfortunate I know.

Similar sad and ugly event happened to me almost two years at Torres del Rio in Hostal Rural La Pata de Oca. My son and I placed our rucksacks early morning of our departure at the designated place for transport inside the hostal. Minutes just before departing to continue our camino I decided to check on our rucksacks. Among the many rucksack awaiting transport, my newly bought bright yellow Teton hiking pack (similar to attachment) was absent. However, I noticed that my folding walking cane and my shower slippers where inserted in my sons. I looked around and did not see any signs of my pack. I rushed to our bedroom and asked my son if he had moved or seen my rucksack. I checked with the owner of the hostal and he adamantly told me he knows and seen nothing, and pointed the blame to the transport companies. Since we had to leave, I just followed up a day, two days later with the owner. The owner accepted no responsibility or blame whatsoever. He did not even try to help.

My entire camino supplies were in that rucksack. Everythying! Shirts, socks, raincoat, pants, underpants, toiletries, towel, etc. Everything!

Fortunately, all my valuables; passport, cash, credit cards, credencial, meds, and other personal valuables I carried in my security, what I call "man purse." I reported the incident at the police station in Logrono, but was unable to help since the theft happened in La Rioja.

Hope you recover yours and still intact. At least the proprietor of the albergue tried the best to help including calling the Guardia Sivil. Wish you the best. Buen Camino.

Attachments

• TETON-Sports Backpack.jpg
    TETON-Sports Backpack.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 13
Does your wife have travel insurance? Perhaps, instead of returning home, she can buy new gear and continue onward once she has a few days to recover. Especially since it sounds like everything (except the plushie) is replaceable.
Yes she is insured, but the injury she has (for which she visited a hospital) is too much to deal with right now. She's been searching for her bag and belongings today, going back and forth on bike. Asking locals and emailing other albergues. We are putting up reward posters with a nice sum of money for anyone returning the bag with content or just the plushie. If it's money they want, they can have it. That's how much it means for her to have it returned.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am sorry your wife had her bag taken. Saint Anthony please help
Hello everyone,

Buen camino,
Robin
I am sorry your wife had her backpack taken. Saint Anthony please help Robin’s wife find her backpack and the belongs inside🙏🏻🙏🏻

Hello everyone,

Buen camino,
Robin
I am so sorry to read this. I always thought the Camino and the spirit of the Camino to be safe.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello everyone,

Buen camino,
Robin
I to lost (not stolen) something dear to me. I posted on here and definitely got a camino miracle. I'm hoping for the same for your wife.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello everyone,

Buen camino,
Robin
Oh Robin, sending many virtual hugs to your wife and to you upon this news. There's a real feeling of trauma when something so personal is taken, and it is really hard as well for you to not be there when your loved one is injured in more ways than one. Bad things DO happen on the Camino, but many times things do turn up, work out, kindnesses make a difference, etc. I'm hoping for healing in many ways for both of you, and for restoration of all that matters to your wife! We hope to hear good news in the next few days!

I'm in Leon. I'll definitely keep eyes open for gear and sentimental yellow cat. Those things mean more than gear. Maybe luck will jump in..

Just 2 days ago, I thought my 30+ year walking stick was lost. I went everywhere looking. I was frantic. An hour later the Hostal owner called that it was found tangled in curtains that had been opened. Camino magic 😀

The guy at Armeria Castro gear shop in Leon is fantastic. He could set her up with minimalist gear to continue her journey.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In 2015 my sis and I met a Dutch man whose pack had gone missing that morning. It was nowhere to be found in the albergue and hadn’t been left near the other transferred packs. It turned out that two other “helpful” pilgrims saw it laying near his bunk yet he wasn’t around (he was in the bathroom) so they took it upon themselves to do a good deed and carry it forward with them thinking he’d forgotten it and that they’d catch up to him. Instead they left it at an albergue in the next town and after several phone calls by hospitaleros it was tracked down and he got it back. Fingers crossed that something similar has happened with your wife’s pack and that she’s quickly reunited with it.

In 2015 my sis and I met a Dutch man whose pack had gone missing that morning. It was nowhere to be found in the albergue and hadn’t been left near the other transferred packs. It turned out that two other “helpful” pilgrims saw it laying near his bunk yet he wasn’t around (he was in the bathroom) so they took it upon themselves to do a good deed and carry it forward with them thinking he’d forgotten it and that they’d catch up to him. Instead they left it at an albergue in the next town and after several phone calls by hospitaleros it was tracked down and he got it back. Fingers crossed that something similar has happened with your wife’s pack and that she’s quickly reunited with it.
This sounds very promising however, my wife was the last one to leave the albergue. She was allowed to stay one more day, but still had to leave the room for cleaning. That's why she put her bag at the reception. She said many pilgrims even put their bags outside for transfer pickups at other albergues she visited. So she thought it couldn't hurt to leave it inside for an hour or so. The other pilgrims were gone already.

She did email a bunch of other albergues though. I hope one of them will call her...

Your wife certainly did nothing wrong, backpacks are very often left like this for pick-up's etc, and I wouldn't have done any different or expected it would go missing myself - so there is certainly no blame on your wife's behalf.

I really really hope it has just been picked up in error by one of the transport companies. I would imagine that Albergue is going to be a busy one.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was just gonna ask, does she have contact info in pack? That would help.
I also put screen saver contact number on cell phone. It has saved me a phone before 😉

I also put screen saver contact number on cell phone. It has saved me a phone before 😉
Yes in a small pocket that's in the part that wraps around your waiste.

At this point nobody contacted her yet. The bag wasn't returned to the albergue either.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How to put a screen saver contact number on the cell phone? Save a pic/screenshot to the wallpaper? Is there a way iOS has a way of doing this? (Sorry about the dumb question). Maybe also include an email address as well?
All these reports of thefts (Roncesvalles, this one, etc, got my attention. Would AirTags be helpful to track down things like these? (I know they won’t help in this particular case since the pack is already gone/misplaced, etc), but I might as well get a few of them.

I'm tech a tech dummy. My friend did the screen saver setup.
Ask a youngster to help, they know all the tricks 😏
Hidden air tag installed
Just in case

Hello everyone,

Buen camino,
Robin
So sorry. I am on CF and will be looking. For next time: I keep an AirTag sewn into my pack and also in moneybelt

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone,

Buen camino,
Robin
There is a Decathalon in Leon. We will gladly contribute to replacement. Saddened for her personal loss and the fear it will add.

Well, dear pilgrims, posters are up all over León, backed up by police and many sympathizing shop keepers and a super market. Police officer even pointed out hot spots. You might spot them! All we can do now is wait, hope for the best and call some more albergues from home, because my wife is flying home tomorrow early in the morning.

It's sad, but also the best place to get some rest, recover and sort things out with insurance.

I thank everyone for your support, kind words, tips and help. It's been a learning experience. To anyone who is about to pass León, please keep an extra eye out for my wives belongings. I know chances are smaller everyday. Maybe look around in a park if you pass one. Be alert to things that have been dumped in the bushes.
And please also take care of your own belongings. I will post an update if there's news ofcourse.

Stay safe and buen camino.
Robin

@RobinNL, that's a tough outcome, but bearing in mind your wife was injured as well....

Hope your wife is better soon, and that the insurance process etc goes smoothly. The best of luck with finding the precious plushie cat.

Hopefully this unfortunate experience will not stop either of you from walking again.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello everyone,

Buen camino,
Robin
very sad and discouraging that is one reason I do not do Camino Frances nor stay in Albergues. Don't give just start again put something together and continue on the Camino Don't this thief win the day.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
Everybody who has walked the Camino Francés knows the albergue in Manjarin. An albergue for six pilgrims, without water and electricity, but full of hospitality. Tomás Martinez de Paz started...
Roncesvalles or push to Burguete? I prefer to avoid the recommended stages to avoid the race for albergues. Do you suggest Burguete? Is Roncesvalles too busy?
Hi all, just a quickie, My friend is near Leon and has fallen into the booking . Com panic as he doesn't want to risk not getting a bed. The word on the street is that beds are few and far...
would you recommend changes and what challenges would the change bring on that i should consider first? My plan was to start at SJPDP may 13 and do full Camino to Santiago. I fly into Pamplona on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back