• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Alsa from San Sebastian to SJPDP

Alex*Quake

Time of past OR future Camino
{Sep-Oct 2019/SJPDP-Finisterre}
Hello all, am posting in the hope that someone has done this and can offer advice. Am on the Alsa website looking for a bus to SJPDP from San sebastian on Sunday 8 Sept. I found two routes that both go through Pamplona as a transfer point and then onto Roncesvalles, Valcarlos and then SJPDP.

...except...

the morning service says "arrives at 10am transfers at 10am" and the afternoon service says "arrives at 13:35 transfers at 14:30"

so my question is if we catch the earlier bus and it arrives into Pamplona late am I going to miss my transfer? or will the Alsa to Pamplona and on to SJPDP wait for the one coming from San Sebastian? I have emailed Alsa with this question but am not having any luck with a response.

Has anyone done this bus trip? Id prefer the earlier morning service as it gives me more of the day to explore SJPDP but dont want to be in a position where the family misses its connection.

Thanks in advance...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yes the arrival and departure time are the same (10am), so you won't make it (it's not a "connection" on the same route, so the SJPP bus won't wait for you to arrive).

The other option is to make your way to Bayonne in time for the 11:52 train to SJPP. There are buses at 8am and 9am from San Sebastian with Flixbus (at the moment - September hours not yet listed). It's also easy to get to Bayonne by train (the Euskotren takes you directly to the SNCF station in Hendaia/Hendaye).

Going via Bayonne would take you half the time (1hr to Bayonne, and then 1hr to SJPP). It would also literally be half the price - using Alsa via Pamplona would cost €30 per person, whereas if you go via Bayonne it would cost around €15 (€5 for advanced booking with Flixbus, €10 for train to SJPP).

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum