• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Brand new

Time of past OR future Camino
camino Frances 2015, Portuguese Coastal 2016 and 2017
Hello, I am brand new...just found out about the Camino a week ago, and I am obsessed! I am thinking of starting in mid June 2015. Can not decide which route.... Frances or El Norte...any suggestions for my first? Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've only done the Frances so I can't comment on any other. It is one of the more popular ones and as such may be better marked than some of the others

I've only done the Frances so I can't comment on any other. It is one of the more popular ones and as such may be better marked than some of the others
Thanks Dave...el norte looks great, but thinking Frances may be better for the first!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes the Frances would be easier walking. It will be more crowded than the Norte but has more towns to stop and often more options as to where to stop at them. If you do shorter stages and stop early accommodation should be easier to get. Both can suffer from people booking ahead though. Buen Camino

Welcome Chef Jen. Depends on how much time you have to walk too, as to which route or part of route you are thinking of doing lots to choose from!
Once you decide you will find advice abundant on you route choice in the main menu good luck. Buen camino

The Norte is just as good an option for a first Camino than the Frances. Very different in terms of scenery, walking surfaces and amount of Alburgues, but can be just as transformational for you as the Frances will be. You will not be missing anything which ever one you walk, they both can have different but special experiences in walking them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If you are not going till next spring/summer then there is no hurry to make decisions, look through some of the photo journeys and blogs on this forum and youtube to see what you like. I faced the same decision for my first camino and opted for the Norte, for several reasons. I like the sea, don't like crowds, and read that while there were fewer pilgrims the bond between them seemed stronger on the Norte. I had a great walk and have been an advocate of the Norte ever since.

Most read last week in this forum