• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Bus to Ponferrada from Madrid Airport.

Wildrover1

I am flying to Madrid on 26th.Feb. and will stay that night at a hotel near the airport. Next day I hope to take a bus from the airport to Ponferrada to start walking from there to Finisterre.
Can anyone advise me if it is possible to buy a bus ticket at the airport, or is it necessary to purchase a ticket in advance? I have tried to book a ticket online without success.
Also, is it a possibility that I may not be allowed to stay in the Ponferrada albergue because I won't have walked that day?
Andy.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The bus driver can sell you a ticket. There are buses from the airport at 1645 and 2359, if you can make one of them on arrival. In February there will be space at the albergue. However, it is on the opposite side of the city from the bus station, which you will pass on the camino the next day. Frankly, the albergue is not one of the best. For more comfort at a reasonable price, try

http://www.hostalrioselmo.es/

It will save you some backtracking.

Thanks, falcon269, for your help. Due to my flight time it's easier to stay a night in Madrid and take the bus next morning. I've followed your suggestion re accommodation in Ponferrada and managed to book a room at the Hostal Rio Selmo.
Andy.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum