• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to Ponferrada

pilgrimjim

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances. 2017
Do Mar/Ingles. 2022
Best, easiest, and cheapest means of getting from Madrid airport to Ponferrada?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We took the train in 2018 and it was very easy and fast to do so. There is Alsa bus service too. I would recommend getting the lay of the land with rome2rio and then jumping from there to either Renfe/Trainline and/or Alsa.

Looks like 4 buses or so a day from T4 on Alsa. It is kind of a long trip at between 5 and 6 hours, but the price (depending on times) is between 33 and 60 euros. Some buses in the daytime for later this week are already sold out so you may want to look at that in advance. Buses are relatively nice in Spain. Bus tickets are usually available a month or so in advance depending on the bus line. Alsa is the main Spanish line.

The Renfe system appears to be down right now so I can't really check that, but you can check it for yourself later on Trainline.com or on Renfe.com. Be aware that train tickets are not sold a long time in advance. Lately for routes in this area only a few weeks lead time so if you want to get a general idea of routes and times, just pick some day next week or so.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We did that segment last year, 2023. Took train from Madrid Chamartin station to Leon. Changed trains to Ponferrada. Super easy and quite comfortable. There is a metro that took us directly from the Madrid airport to Chamartin. Frankly the hardest part to get right was the shuttle bus at the airport to take us from our terminal to the one with the metro station. I cannot say it was the cheapest way because I did not look into bus options, but it was fast, easy and comfortable.

There is also a commuter train from T4 which takes you directly to both major train stations that leaves from the lowest level of the terminal.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
There has been some discussion about getting one way tickets to have more flexibility. Unfortunately I had to cut my Camino short because I was getting shin splints. Because I had a flexible...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back