• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Defaced markers

bryan pritchard

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-SdC(2014); Lisbon-SdC(2016); SJPdP-Burgos(2018),Vienna-Salzburg(2018);LePuy-?(2020)
Hi all,
Just completed most of Camino Portuguese. We started in Lisbon, but after a couple of days of highway walking, we took a train to Porto and started afresh. The highway was a bit scary, and lots of people text and drive - we had a close call and one was enough.
Anyway, the coastal route is beautiful. It could use a few more Albergue options. We were saddened that someone had written on many (possibly over 100) arrows, and placed red stickers under others, to promote their webpage, Facebook and blog. People work hard to maintain stretches of trail, and this didn't seem like a good pilgrim act.
Finally, we used Brierley guides and Wise Pilgrim app. The app was far more accurate, in terms of sleeping options and trail directions. If you are in Vigo, do not trust the guidebook as a listed Albergue is actually a mental institute/care home.
Beautiful trail though.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree - its sad that people feel the need to sprawl their names and country, (Canada -seems to be a big culprit) over Camino signs. It needs to be addressed.

I agree - its sad that people feel the need to sprawl their names and country, (Canada -seems to be a big culprit) over Camino signs. It needs to be addressed.
Apologies for all the culprits... a bit unusual, never saw any "Canadian" markings when I walked last year... was just happy to find any markers at times.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In my opinion, Sharpie Marking Pens should be banned from the Camino. The new Markers in Galacia are already getting defaced and vandalized! I don't think that it is fair to pick on any particular country for this occurrence. Rhetorically, what would anyone care that "Maria and Joe 3/3/16" is something that everyone would like to see as they walk past? No one knows them and if they did, they would tell them to knock it off. The passport provides proof that you were there and the many different stamps make a nice souvenir without harming the Camino.

Last edited:
Common all over unfortunately. I've been walking the GRs in my area and all of them have signs that have fallen victim to to markers or spray paint.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This must be recent as we hiked the Portuguese Coastal route in May, and did not witness any of that. The drivers are a bit scary, and we had a couple of close calls, too.

Hi!
I walked the inland route- the eastern mid country route from Porto in July. It is less travelled. Not a lot of albuerges, but found good, cheap hotels in, amongst other cities, Braga and Familicao. No signs were covered on this route and it was a lot of beautiful scenery!
Linda

Absolutely right. On the Camino France's last 100k many of the distance plates had been prised off and stolen as souvenirs including the zero marker plates at Muxia.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Absolutely right. On the Camino France's last 100k many of the distance plates had been prised off and stolen as souvenirs including the zero marker plates at Muxia.
Difficult to stop this - I worked on the UK Millenium cycle network in 1999. We used 6" square oak posts and screwed alu markers on them with "un-unscrewable" screws (supposed to be impossible to unscrew). Went through part of it recently, not a single one left!

I'm not quite sure I've understood correctly ... is Camino Portuguese waymarked ON the highway? Which distance(s)? Or was it a personal option?
My intention is walking to Lisboa - this makes me thoughtful ...

Thanks so much Albertinho!
Of course I mean FROM Lisbon. In fact my question was not about the first part Lisbon-Santarem - as I've already walked there in February 2014. As my intention is the rest of Camino Portuguese to Santiago, I found no reason of explaining ... BUT something must have happened in two years, as I was not walking a single meter on highway!!!
Thanks for your advice about Porto! I think I will choose the Costal Route, heard it is very beautiful! Bom caminho!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm not quite sure I've understood correctly ... is Camino Portuguese waymarked ON the highway? Which distance(s)? Or was it a personal option?
My intention is walking to Lisboa - this makes me thoughtful ...

This year from Lisbon( I had 15 days of rain) on the inland route I found problems with the marking only the first few stages, but, after there is absolutely no possibility to miss them, and all this starts 4 days before Porto, I was pleasantly surprised of what a good job they done with it, you could say better than Spain.
(I am known to make alwaise mistakes on the Caminos, consequently extra Km, in the end like everydays life
you pay for them.) Just to give you an idea in my first stage from Lisbon I ended up walking for 12&half hours
59Km instead of the 35/40 intended. I LOVE ALL THE CAMINOS. Next year is going to be my longest (I hope)
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum