• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Getting from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid (cheaply)

jeremy.jones

Time of past OR future Camino
July (2013)
I am trying to find the cheapest, easiest way to Madrid from Santiago de Compostela. It doesn't have to be the fastest. just the cheapest! then I will be flying out of Madrid to Paris. Any tips? trains? Buses? any tips on getting from Madrid to paris are welcome too! Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
About 46E on the bus, as low as 24E on the train.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was looking into the train from Santiago to Madrid on July 5th, and both the Renfe and the Rail Europe site can't say I can't make reservations. Does this mean there's no train, or does it mean I just can't make them this far in advance. It will accept the date for my Madrid--Pamplona train ride in May. Has anyone else experienced this?

Flying into Madrid on May 27th, then to St Jean to start my first camino...thanks for all the great discussion on this site!

Joe

I'd suggest spending as little time in Madrid as possible because if you stay overnight even in a low grade hotel it's quite expensive. Just something to bear in mind when planning your trip. Buen Camino!

tyrrek said:
I'd suggest spending as little time in Madrid as possible because if you stay overnight even in a low grade hotel it's quite expensive. Just something to bear in mind when planning your trip. Buen Camino!

A madrid hostel stay will be around 20 - 25 euro, some include breakfast, and sharing a dorm shouldn't be a problem for a seasoned pilgrim ? there are several quality online booking sites such as HI hostel international, or Hostel World. All the info is available including customer rating and reviews.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, that's true. I've used Hostelworld before and it's good. I was really meaning that if Jeremy didn't particularly want to spend any time in Madrid, his timings could be important to avoid spending the night in one of the more expensive cities on his route. Agreed 10 Euros here or there will not go very far once he gets to Paris! Buen Camino!

p.s. A private room would be significantly more than on the Camino for a similar standard, though.

Most read last week in this forum