• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

GPS, a hypothetical question...

The way to Santiago is well signposted but the return, I think, less so. Could a pilgrim use GPS to help them retrace their steps?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not only could you retrace your trip, but you could stay within a few meters of your steps.

Not real important on the Frances, but very useful on many routes.

I record a tracklog each day and save it. Years later I can look at it and see where I ate lunch etc.

If you're carrying a smartphone something like Google's Mytracks automatically creates maps for you. If you have an internet connection you can upload them so others can see/use them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

With the Motion X app....where do you upload a daily track so that others can follow you??

You can definitely use GPS on the Camino, and it works great with the right app.

Take a look at this forum post I did about it. I downloaded a GPS track of the entire Camino Frances and then was able to cache the maps and view it all offline while walking. Awesome.

Russell

grayland said:
With the Motion X app....where do you upload a daily track so that others can follow you??

From the menu, hit record track. At the end, hit share track and email it to any and all interested.

I use my Garmin usually, and save each day. At the end of a trip I use mapsource to join them into one long track

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum