• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

How long does it take?

tabitha

Me and a couple of friends are hoping to bike the Camino next summer but I have no idea what sort of timescale I am looking at. Also, is a hardtail mountain bike a suitable bike to use or is it better to have a tourer? Don't really want to buy a new bike!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It all depends on the amount of luggage you want to carry along and the average km you are willing to peddle each day.

Wer'e talking rough estimates but if you start in St Jean it should take you less than a couple of weeks. Obviously it depends what you are capable of and the more time you spend on the paths and less on the road the slower you will be.

A hardtail mountain bike is fine as long as you have fixings for a rack. Although I have done it with a back-pack panniers are more comfortable. I used my Rockhopper Comp to do a couple of caminos quite happily. Just get some decent 26" road tyres I have used Continental Top Touring and Panracer Pasela TG myself.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Cool, thanks. Got a Rockhopper myself so was hoping to use that. Will definitely get panniers as reckon it will be too hot with a pack on! Two weeks was what we were planning so that sounds good too. Now just need to get in training

Most read last week in this forum