• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I mix it up, walk-bike, the Frances?

falconbrother

Time of past OR future Camino
June - July 2024
My fiance' (will be my wife when we walk) and I have been "training to walk the CF in May. We have about 30 days to get it done and we don't want to have to marathon it. So, we were discussing maybe walking from France to Spain and at some point renting bikes to make more distance in the middle of the journey...then walking, at least, the last 100km. Is this possible? Can we rent one-way bikes to do part of the Camino Frances?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lots of people cycle the Meseta between Burgos and León, since it's the flattest area with the most bike friendly terrain. There are bike rental companies that will set you up in Burgos and you drop the bikes off in León.

The other option to finish in your time frame would be to start a little closer to Santiago. You could start in Pamplona.

Here's a thread on the topic with suggestions for rental companies

You can. Godgle, or a trawl through the advertisers on the forum, even a search for “bike hire” will lead you to the possibilities.
Switching backpack to pannier and back again can be a challenge but the luggage transporters will sort most things.

My suggestion, if you only have 30 days is to start 30 days from Santiago, say Pamplona. Or, if you would like to really take some time to smell the roses or sample the vino, Burgos. If you find yourselves with too much time in Santiago there’s always Fisterra

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lots of people cycle the Meseta between Burgos and León, since it's the flattest area with the most bike friendly terrain. There are bike rental companies that will set you up in Burgos and you drop the bikes off in León.

The other option to finish in your time frame would be to start a little closer to Santiago. You could start in Pamplona.

Here's a thread on the topic with suggestions for rental companies
Lots of ‘fun’ being buzzed by ebikes on walk to Hontanas today, my they are fast. 95% courteous of walkers, 5% frightening swerving between groups of pilgrims. Please use your horn.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...
To CF bicigrinos who cycled from SJPP to Roncesvales, via the Napoleon route (over the Pyrenees): 1) how long did it take you? 2) approximate % of time you pushed bike up the Pyrenees? 3) what...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back