• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

It Happened 579 Years Ago TODAY! 10th July 1434

• Thread starter Former member 12499
  • Start date
F

Former member 12499

IT HAPPENED 579 YEARS AGO TODAY.

I just love this story and I think about it most days.

It is over a year ago since I walked the Camino Francis and I discovered this little gem whilst walking through Hospital de Orbigo.

On the 10th July - 9th August 1434 on the Puente de Orbigo a 'tournament of honourable passage' commenced.

For all of the pilgrims over the years, who have already walked through Hospital de Orbigo; you will be familiar with this lovely story. For all of the pilgrims who have yet to walk through this town and across the bridge, I will not spoil the story for you but give you the opportunity of looking forward to seeing it for yourselves.

So, Don Suero de Quinones – knight from Leon and the beautiful Dona Leonar de Tobar, I salute you! Or at least I will have a glass of wine in your memory.

Oh to be young again. To have been a knight and to seek the love of that one special lady.

I just love how human nature never changes.

Charlie.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Will post no spoilers, heh !!!

But ...

chas999 said:
Don Suero de Quinones

The gentle knight helped inspire the creation of Don Quixote, from some accounts ...

chas999 said:
IT HAPPENED 579 YEARS AGO TODAY.

Oh to be young again. To have been a knight and to seek the love of that one special lady.

I just love how human nature never changes.

Charlie.

I dunno ... I don't like horses enough to want to break even one lance over a lady that has already scorned my attentions.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That's such a lovely spot - we stopped for lunch at the restaurant at the end of the bridge on our honeymoon last summer.

I stayed at the hotel/restaurant at the end of the bridge in 2010. Very nice and restful. Great place to pilgrim watch.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum