• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Lezama-Bilbao

PieterL

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2006)
On Sunday November 3, I would like to walk from Lezama to Bilbao. Is this stage clearly marked? I am staying near restaurant Azurmendi and would lik to do this day hike. My plane leaves at the airport of Bilbao at 2:00 pm. Is it possible to hike this stage in one morning? I would start hiking around 9:00 am (or earlier if necessary).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is perfectly marked, you will have quite a bit of tarmac up to Erandio, then will cross the railway, leave through a small industrial state, cross the motorway over a bridge and then the real ascent begins. This is where the beautiful part of the day begins, the rest is not amazin, really.

I would consider taking a train/taxi and start directly in Erandio.

This said, once you come to the other side, the views are worth it, indeed! You will find quite a few small divertions to see lookout points and the like , do follow them if you have time. The descent onto Bilbao can be knee wrecking, but then you find the Begoña Basilica, the only church which is not flat but on a slope, curiously enough.

Buen camino! (and good choice of a restaurant, amigo!)

Most read last week in this forum