• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Memory overflow in Garmin GPSmap

rchardwiick

Need some technical advice on GPS. We're just back from 3 weeks on the Camino del Norte. Our Garmin (model "GPSmap 60Cx") very useful - e.g. helped more than one hopelessly-lost pilgrim to re-find their way. But after 297km the Garmin's memory overflowed. I saved track every evening, but of course this loses date stamps. So the saved track cannot be used for geolocating our photos.

My question therefore is : what is the best (least weighty) solution to the memory overflow problem?

? Buy a new gps with bigger memory? And if so, which ??

? Buy some sort of mini-computer? And if so, what??

?Anything else?

In advance, thank you for your advice
Richard H

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have been using a Garmin Dakota 10 all year, including 1000 km on the GR 652a/Arles route. It has been a great unit, rugged, with no memory problems. If one needs more memory, the Dakota 20 takes sd cards, which has to be the lightest memory expansion there is.

Thanks for quick reply. With your hint I found my way to the Garmin shop and yes, the new models do seem much more memory-capable than my "old" GPSMap 60Cx.
Richard H

P.S. added later after more research
It seems that not everyone likes the Garmin Oregon. See for example this very critical review:-
http://freegeographytools.com/2010/a-re ... -interface

But on the other hand, here is an enthusiastic pre-view (May 2010) of the (?still not-yet released?) Garmin GPSMap 62:-
http://gpstracklog.com/2010/05/garmin-g ... -pics.html

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum