• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Parador in danger?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
falcon269 said:
http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/travel/spains-paradors-face-an-uncertain-future.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Yes, unfortunately they are in danger of getting closed and/or changing hands. Operating costs (maintenance, personnel) of these institutions are prohibitive, even more so when occupancies have gradually decreased. To recuperate occupancy by lowering rates (shifting markets) one needs lean management expertise.

Are any of these near any of the Caminos? Although it doesn't sound as if weary pilgrims are their clientele of choice :wink:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Damn, where will I stay now ?

I know that the comparable Portuguese system, the Pousadas, have been privatized (at least in terms of management) and are now run by the Pestana group. Maybe that's what will happen in Spain. I can't believe the system will shut down. What would they do with all those castles and monasteries?!

Footek, as far as paradors on Caminos, here are some of them, but I may have forgotten some

Frances -- Santo Domingo de la Calzada (2), Leon, Villafranca del Bierzo, and of course Santiago

Camino del Norte has a few -- Santillana (2), Villaba, Ribadeo

Invierno -- Monforte de Lemos

Via de la Plata -- Merida, Zamora, Zafra

Camino de Levante -- Albacete, Avila, Toledo

Sometimes there are very good deals on paradores. I stayed in the one in Zamora for two nights for 60 euros a night. So if you're looking for the luxury of ridiculously thick towels and the highest thread count sheets I've ever slept on, you could give it a try. The staff has never blinked an eye at me and my backpack, though as the NYT article says, the staff can be generally a bit stand-off-ish.

Of course not all pilgrims have the finances to consider a night in one of these places, and opinions are divided among others about whether it "feels good" to take one or a few nights in the lap of luxury, but I say chacun a son gout. (or at least I think that's how it's said). Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum