• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Pilgrim lost between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The government ought to get some kind of heat seeking helicopter for that stage. It would surely make sense to have thermal imaging equipment on standby for these types of emergencies.

I hope that this Welsh pilgrim is OK. At least it's the height of Summer so harsh weather shouldn't be an added problem for them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The government ought to get some kind of heat seeking helicopter for that stage. It would surely make sense to have thermal imaging equipment on standby for these types of emergencies.
That thermal type equipment (FLIR) is great, but the thick overstory of the woods this time of the year makes it almost impossible to use. Also there is the cost of keeping and maintaining a helicopter like that on standby for the off-chance a peregrino takes a nosedive off the trail.

There has been quite bit of helicopter activity in and out of the Biarritz airport for the past 24 hours, I was assuming it had to do with surf rescues but maybe they are searching for this guy since it seems he is lost in France.

Reading the article it seems he actually is missing somewhere between Puenta La Reina and Estella (80 km away from the Vacarlos route). They wasted the first day searching near Roncesvalles because the man mistakenly said he was on the way to Roncesvalles when he called.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I thought the article was confusing and lost in translation. If it was truly near Maneru that is where an unbelievably surprise of a climb out of Puenta la Reina comes at you out of nowhere, but I can't imagine someone missing the trail in that area unless they kept walking straight after the sewage facility.

In his call the pilgrim said he was in Varcarlos area but police inquiries about telephonical call point out the area of Puente la Reina.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I agree. I can't think of man places a person could get off the Camino on this stage? Plus there are villages all along that route, Manerum Cirauqui, Lorca, Villatuerta... Maybe he/she took the cutoff after Villatuerta?

I hope we get good news.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a lesson to be learned from this we all need to heed. Supposedly his phone pinged about 80km from where he turned up. The first news was that he lost near Roncevalles, then later near Manuera. Technology is not precise and 80 km on the Camino maybe a life time for a pilgrim but it is only a couple of minutes for a first responder. If you are having an emergency of any kind, stay on the phone after you dial 112!

Good to hear that he's safe and well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum