• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Should I buy train ticket ahead of time?

Karen Tilford

Hello all. I would appreciate your advice on whether I should buy my train ticket (if that is possible on-line) from Bayonne to SJPP now for April 28th? It seems unlikely that there is huge demand for this line mid-week in April, but not having been there before I would appreciate your input.

Many thanks, not only for this but all of the other wonderful tips on the forum. They have provided me not only with terrific information but also with a lot of reassurance that other first-timers have many questions and want to be prepared so that the journey is the best experience it can be.

See you on the camino!

Karen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From my experience of traveling by train in France I shouldn't imagine you would need to buy a regional ticket like that ahead of time, mid-week. What you will need to be aware of though is that May 1st is a major public holiday in both France and Spain, so on your early days of walking, you will be accompanied by the multitude!
Margaret

I was on the train from Hendaye to Bayonne, and Bayonne to SJPP on 28 April 2006. I bought my train ticket that morning in Hendaye. While it is true the end of April will have many walkers, our train to SJPP (consisting of two short rail cars) was barely 20% occupied.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Margaret, last year I wanted to take a train from Burgos to Logroño to return walking on a 1st of may and had to go by bus because all tickets were sold out.

This year on easter I will book my ticket in time to avoid that problem.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum