• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train: Barcelona to Pamplona - should I buy ticket in advance?

Joanne P

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June 2018 & June 2023
**UPDATE**: Thank you all for your helpful replies. I have managed to book using Trainline. And if something goes wrong on the day, Plan B will be an overnight bus. Buen Camino everyone 🙏

Just after some advice please.
I plan to get a morning train from Barcelona to Pamplona on 1st June.

I'm wondering if it will be easy to get a ticket at the last minute, or would it be best to purchase one in advance? If so, which is the best site to use please?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

I'm wondering if it will be easy to get a ticket at the last minute, or would it be best to purchase one in advance? If so, which is the best site to use please?
Thanks in advance

I would purchase in advance.

Renfe website.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Some US based members report issues with credit card payment on the RENFE website but that PayPal works for them. Not sure if Australians have similar issues.
I find the simplest way to search for trains and book is using the Trainline website. The mark-up on the ticket price is quite small and the convenience of searching and payment is worth it.

I would purchase in advance.

Renfe website.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to try to contact someone at Renfe somehow as it seems the train for our dates is not available, or will be not running between a couple of stations due to works on the line (I assume). I'll need to know how much time this will add to the journey.
And I must be doing something wrong as I can't find where to choose a one way trip. It keeps requesting a return date.
Maybe I just need a good sleep, and try again tomorrow 😂.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to try to contact someone at Renfe somehow as it seems the train for our dates is not available, or will be not running between a couple of stations due to works on the line (I assume). I'll need to know how much time this will add to the journey.
And I must be doing something wrong as I can't find where to choose a one way trip. It keeps requesting a return date.

Screenshot_20230323_144427_Chrome.jpg

Edit : the works are not between Barcelona and Pamplona but further on.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would book as once all seats are sold the train is ‘full’. I got the same availability as the post above.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have had better success with Trainline or RailEurope. However be aware schedules may not appear until 30 days prior to your departure.

Don't make the reservation mistake I once made. Spain's calendar week starts on Monday. I wanted to book for, I think, a Tuesday and so I checked the third box (Wednesday). I read that corrections were difficult so that lead to me tohappily add another night in Barcelona.

Your seat might be assigned. Try to get starboard side; the sun won't be in your eyes and you may get to see the Pyrenees. Sit there anyway if you don't get it and play stupid foreigner with the conductor but move if someone boards later with that seat.

Thanks in advance
Hola
If everything fails you can always take the bus.
It is a 6 hours drive and busses in Spain are good.

The schedule for June is not up yet.

I took the night bus once from Barcelona to Irun and it was a very nice way to travel although we arrived very early in the morning.
Well, nothing wasted as I just started walking right from the bus terminal :)

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To book a one-way ticket just leave the return date empty.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.