• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

transport from Santiago to Astorga

carolinecork

Time of past OR future Camino
my friends and I are continuing our Camino in October, we fly into Santiago on Sat 29th Oct, landing at 16.20.
Am I correct that there is no bus heading towards Astorga until 9.30pm?
Looking like we will have to do a taxi transfer, I've looked at hiring a Minivan too as there are 6 of us....Any suggestions welcome!
Caroline

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is Empresa Freire bus from Santiago Airport to Lugo. Leave 1700 and 1830. (Lugo is on the ALSA bus route from Santiago to Astorga)

That means you have the choice of staying the night in Santiago or Lugo. Then continue travel in the morning with either ALSA bus or Renfe train.

You could also continue from Lugo to Monforte de Lemos with Monbus .

Gonzalez y de la Riva goes from Lugo to Pedrafita do Cebreiro ... but I don't think your schedule will match. You can then take a taxi to Vega de Valcarce and catch another G bus to Ponferrada. (they don't go across regional borders for reasons of licenses)

Its also a bit early for the schedule to be firmed. ALSA is probably done. Not sure about Renfe or Monbus (to Monforte de Lemos where you intercept Renfe trains from Vigo) Check again less than 30 days in advance.

You would be much better off if you can organize your flight to terminate at Madrid.

Asturias OVD might work out better too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I correct that there is no bus heading towards Astorga until 9.30pm?

Right.

If you arrived any other day of the week, you could have an option to make the route by train changing trains along the route (assuming your flight was on time, you exited the airport quickly...). But, in October, it doesn't run on Saturdays...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks
Think we will go with a taxi transfer, expensive but we dont want to lose a day.

Most read last week in this forum