• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

transport from Santiago to Astorga

carolinecork

Time of past OR future Camino
my friends and I are continuing our Camino in October, we fly into Santiago on Sat 29th Oct, landing at 16.20.
Am I correct that there is no bus heading towards Astorga until 9.30pm?
Looking like we will have to do a taxi transfer, I've looked at hiring a Minivan too as there are 6 of us....Any suggestions welcome!
Caroline

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is Empresa Freire bus from Santiago Airport to Lugo. Leave 1700 and 1830. (Lugo is on the ALSA bus route from Santiago to Astorga)

That means you have the choice of staying the night in Santiago or Lugo. Then continue travel in the morning with either ALSA bus or Renfe train.

You could also continue from Lugo to Monforte de Lemos with Monbus .

Gonzalez y de la Riva goes from Lugo to Pedrafita do Cebreiro ... but I don't think your schedule will match. You can then take a taxi to Vega de Valcarce and catch another G bus to Ponferrada. (they don't go across regional borders for reasons of licenses)

Its also a bit early for the schedule to be firmed. ALSA is probably done. Not sure about Renfe or Monbus (to Monforte de Lemos where you intercept Renfe trains from Vigo) Check again less than 30 days in advance.

You would be much better off if you can organize your flight to terminate at Madrid.

Asturias OVD might work out better too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I correct that there is no bus heading towards Astorga until 9.30pm?

Right.

If you arrived any other day of the week, you could have an option to make the route by train changing trains along the route (assuming your flight was on time, you exited the airport quickly...). But, in October, it doesn't run on Saturdays...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm about to start the Camino Portuguese, and was wondering what rideshare options are available in Europe?
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as...
Where in Santiago can I catch the bus to the airport?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back