• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Travel from Madrid to Sarria

JeanMarie

Time of past OR future Camino
May 19, 2019
Is it best to take the train to Sarria the day we arrive or should we plan to stay in Madrid the first day? I'm wondering if
it is easy enough to get from the International airport to the train station to make this work?
Thanks
JeanMarie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Three trains and a trenhotel depart Chamartin station weekdays for Sarria. It is easy to get from the T-4 terminal at the Madrid airport to Chamartin. A shuttle train operates every 30 minutes. Trains do sell out, so a reservation is useful. However, the lowest fares are not refundable, so if you miss your reserved train, you lose your fare.

I feel that Madrid distracts me from my camino state of mind, so I do not tour Madrid. Reaching and leaving an accommodation is more time consuming than just going to Chamartin, so I do not stay the night.

I agree with Falcon. Get to Sardis and spend one extra day on the front-end there, before you start. That’s two nights total.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I'm flying in to Madrid on 4th May at 2pm. Unfortunately I didn't realise before booking my flight there was only train a day from madrid to sarria. I'm wanting to start my walk from sarria. Does anyone know how I can travel to sarria and arrive for the same day?

There should be a train at 15:00 (the taxi journey takes about 15/20 minutes) which is very tight or a overnight sleeper at 22:14. Try booking on www.renfe.com about March 6th when the booking window should open up.

Most read last week in this forum