• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Travel sized stuff along the way

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016
Portugues 2019
Frances 2026, planned
Hi,

Are there places along the way to purchase travel sized items like there is here in the US? Items like small bottles of toothpaste, soap, etc?

I'd like to avoid taking items that I can easily replenish along the way. For example I'd like to start with on travel sized tube of travel toothpaste and buy another one along the way. But on the other hand I don't want to get stuck with a full sized tube either.

Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Some things in smaller sizes are possible but I don't really recall much in the typical travel sizes. There are other options though. I had two small refillable bottles for hand-laundry detergent. That held enough for my wife and myself for about 10 days. I then bought the smallest size of replacement that I could find (still pretty big), refilled my bottles then gave the balance to other pilgrims who were sick of washing their laundry with body soap. For body soap, I took half a bar of soap which lasted almost the whole time, then replaced it with another bar which I cut in half and gave away the other half. For shampoo, I just prayed to Santiago that I would need it again someday.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Not really. I remember one American woman saying she was going to come back and market travel size necessaries to tiendas along the way. Frankly I didn't see it as a problem. I am ok to carry a normal size thing of toothpaste and some body soap for body and clothes washing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Go to Wal-Mart. They have a whole section of travel size stuff like toothpaste, deodorant, sunscreen etc. They also have empty 3 oz sized travel tubes you can buy, fill from a bigger container and be TSA compliant on carry-on's.

I would not bank on it. I think the only time I saw one it was tooth paste sold with a toothbrush as a travel kit amd this was in Grandas de Salime. And the price was astronomical.

I got some small sized products in pharmacies.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I collected samples of shampoo etc pu half in a ziplOck at bottle of backpack and rest in 2nd ziplOck was fine!

I guess there are three approaches:

- buy your stuff at larger centers where there are modern supermarkets that sell everything we're used to at home. Corte Ingles and Carrefour are two such market chains with presence in places like Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon etc.

- buy the big tube of toothpaste and squeeze out the 'excess'.

- Vendors on the camino 'know' their customers and stock the stuff that sells.

Most read last week in this forum