• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding my way along the route

JoeF

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
I plan to walk Camino Frances starting 25 Aug to 2 Oct from SJPP to Santiago de a Compostela and among my many anxious thoughts are not missing my route and walking astray. I will be alone and depending on John Brierley’s book as my guide. I am 69 and not in the best fitness state. What are your thoughts? What is the best way to keep on track and not lose my way? I have not booked any accommodations and hope to do enroute on the day. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will be alone and depending on John Brierley’s book as my guide.
Between 25 August and 2 October? You would have to try very hard to be alone! There will be hundreds on each stage at that time of year. The route is very well signposted. If you need a little insurance for confidence then carrying a smartphone with one of the apps which uses maps and gps would help though the chances of needing it except in the larger towns is slim. Those who have used them will probably chime in with recommendations. I just use maps.me with downloaded offline maps and a gpx track.

I would say it's almost impossible to get lost on the Camino Frances ;)

You will fast get into the habit of looking for the arrows and other markers along the route.
And not passing through a junction, till you have spotted the next marker........

As @Bradypus has suggested, if you want added reassurance, use one of the many phone apps that include mapping. On the less travelled, less well marked routes, I download gps 'tracks' from gronze.com and open them in maps.me Both free to use. You can then see 'live' where you are in relation to the Camino trail.

But really, on the Camino Frances, you don't need that. Lots of markers and lots of other Pilgrims headed the same way (at that time of year)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I do not think it be possible to get lost on the Frances. Just follow the other pilgrims as you exit in the morning and you will be fine. Should you go astray, be assured that dozens of Spaniards will issue forth from their offices, farms, and bars, to put you back on the good path. When in doubt follow the arrows....

Thank you to the three of you, my Camino comrades for your support and very reassuring responses. You have boosted my spirits. I will also look into downloading the suggested apps. Rob, from the dp I recognize you and want you to know that I have gone through your many videos and they have been helpful.

As other said, follow the other pilgrims, follow the yellow arrows, follow the Camino shells. I actually think it's nigh on impossible to get lost on the Frances, unless you are maybe walking in winter, in the snow. In summer, not a chance.

Don't overplan or overthink it. Fitness is subjective as well. Take your time for the first few days until you get into the rhythm, then you can open it up a bit if you want. The first week to ten days is the killer bit, while your feet, legs and shoulders adapt. After that it gets easier. After 2-3 weeks, once you are in the zone, you just get used to the routine.

Get up, prepare for day, eat, drink, walk, eat, drink, walk, eat, drink, stop, do chores (wash clothes, prep bed, prep for next day), prepare for bed, sleep.

Rinse, repeat. ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You will not get lost on the Frances but if you are concerned, and like me want to make sure you’re on the right path, I recommend downloading Wise Pilgrim. You can use the GPS wayfinding without wifi. I like this because a) I’m paranoid when I don’t see arrows for awhile and b) I like to see what towns are up ahead to prepare and get excited for my cafe breaks!

Agree with other commenters, and also with 3 Caminos I’m under my belt, fear not, you won’t get lost. You may miss an arrow or turn, but as long as you have gps (maps.me for offline maps are great) or guide book you’ll be just fine.

What I’ve also noticed is that walking every day in the countryside (with the occasional larger town/city) my “spidey” senses get very sharp. All that fresh air, nature, birds chirping, makes me very attuned. All of a sudden, I’ll get a weird feeling that I might have missed a turn or arrow.

And sure enough, I’m usually right, so I get myself back on the path. But we’re talking maybe 50-100 meters off the path.

Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As a back up, the Buen Camino app will show you where you on the map related to the Camino with needing to be online or using data. You might consider that as a way to make you feel more comfortable. It also shows how far to the next village.

My 2 pesetas: definitely have an app for backup tracking; lots of people took minor wrong turns by missing an arrow during the Frances last March/April, quickly corrected by checking the app. It’s quite easy to miss an arrow in a rainstorm, for example.

The only person who walked 10km off course (somewhere in Rioja, I think) did not have an app & the farmer he stopped to ask was so surprised that someone could be so far off track, he immediately drove him back to the Camino gratis !

As the song goes, “It wasn’t me” (but it was a delightful, fellow Brit)…

As a back up, the Buen Camino app will show you where you on the map related to the Camino with needing to be online or using data. You might consider that as a way to make you feel more comfortable. It also shows how far to the next village.
I think most of the Apps have this feature don't they?
I have a few on my phone. Buen Camino, WisePilgrim, Camino Places, Camino, Camino Companion, Maps.me
I find maps.me the simplest to use. (using the tracks from Gronze)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Fair point. ;)

Enjoy the flight home......... :)
No fun so far...they have changed our ticket for the 5th time and cancelled a flight in the US resulting in an additional leg for us once in country...

Going on airplane mode now...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I plan to walk Camino Frances starting 25 Aug to 2 Oct from SJPP to Santiago de a Compostela and among my many anxious thoughts are not missing my route and walking astray. I will be alone and depending on John Brierley’s book as my guide. I am 69 and not in the best fitness state. What are your thoughts? What is the best way to keep on track and not lose my way? I have not booked any accommodations and hope to do enroute on the day. Please help.
The first time I walked I didnt have a guide book or an app. Just followed the arrows and had the time of my life. It really is that simple. You will have the best time.

Last edited:
@JoeF
I did my 1st CF last year, turning 63 while at it (well, technically while already on the way to Finisterre), not in great shape... and let me just say that I got myself "lost" aplenty, all pretty much before I got to Burgos (after that I was a PRO 😁)
Every time kind locals pointed me to the right way and on 2 occasions physically WALKED with me until I was on the right path!!!

To be fair, I did not take any maps or Brierly Bible with me, one time misread a local map, and stubbornly refused to download any Camino apps and\or even consult Google maps ...
Some folks are OK without the above, I thought I'd be OK too, but then I came to conclusion that I "needed help" and all was well from that moment on.
As many already stated you learn to follow others and to look for the arrows and plaques as you gain confidence in yourself
All-in-all its quite doable and yes practically impossible to truly get lost
Good luck and Buen Camino 👍

The only person who walked 10km off course (somewhere in Rioja, I think) did not have an app & the farmer he stopped to ask was so surprised that someone could be so far off track, he immediately drove him back to the Camino gratis !
Sometimes you have to get lost to find the way. ;)

I don't fear losing my way. There are many paths to the same goal.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just used the arrows on my five Caminos (and I'm 74). I also had an app that has maps embeded so that if I "think" I'm lost, I can just check and see how far astray I've gone and then use google or apple maps to get me back on track.

That said, I've probably made at least one bad turn on every Camino, but in almost all the cases, there was some local helper who asked if I was a pilgrim, where I was going and then pointed out the error of my way.

As others have said, on the CF, you really have to try, nowdays, to be alone. I don't think you'll have any problems and, if you do, they will be shortlived.

I too did the Frances at age 69. Health was an issue as I had a widow maker heart attack 8 months before. I used Bierley maps as mu guide. A woman I met on the camino was navigating with the offline maps of Buen Camino. She straightened us out a few times after we missed an arrow. There was one point after Puente de la Reina were I was walking alone and could not see anybody. It was in an agricultural area. I did feel apprehensive and stopped for a break and a while later some pilgrims came by and I know I was on the right track. On the other hand, leaving Burgos, I followed other pilgrims. I think we were near the university as an older student ran after us and showed us where we missed the route and the correct direction. Sometimes following the herd does not work.
On a recently completed Camino Portugues, I used Organic Maps. It worked fine, though did not seem to be very accurate in cities. My daughters used Wise Pilgrim. It worked well. A nice feature of it is that as you near a city, if you have a Spanish Sim card or an international phone plan, you can go from offline maps to online and it will show you points of interest and the albergues. That was a nice feature . Other people used Maps.me and Buen Camino. The important thing is to find an app and use it to navigate at home so you are comfortable with it. Also, for some of the apps, they automatically download a Camino track you can turn on. In addition, there is a Dutch organization that has KML tracks you can download to follow.

Suggestion. Consider staying at Orisson on first night out of St Jean. It will require booking. The double benefits are it will shorten that brutal walk over the mountain and you get to meet lovely people who will be setting out with you in the morning. Just my tuppence worth!! You’ll love it!!

I did my first Camino last summer and am planning my second just a few days behind you. I made reservations at Orisson and Roncesvalles. When I realized I made them a day later than I really should have, I contacted both properties directly several weeks ago and they were already fully booked on the dates of August 29 and 30th.

If you are going to just wing it on accommodations, you may need to walk a very long first day (past Roncesvalles) or use a taxi. At 61 and in good level of fitness, I wouldn’t want a 32 km first day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh if booking ahead it’s really simple if you use the Wise Pilgrim app. Phone numbers are there and use WhatsApp. I found it easy and responsive.

Hello Joe ! Do not worry, you will find your way easily. I am 76 woman and walked 315 kilometers without any training and a pair of 8months new knie prothesis on both knies. I walked alone spoke only with someone during three days. Cheer up, you’ll make it !
There are road signs all the way.
Buon Camino

Thank you to the three of you, my Camino comrades for your support and very reassuring responses. You have boosted my spirits. I will also look into downloading the suggested apps. Rob, from the dp I recognize you and want you to know that I have gone through your many videos and they have been helpful.
Yes, I agree with all that has been said. You will not be alone and 99% of other pilgrims will look after you. The first stage from SJPDP is tough, maybe break it in two by staying in Orrison. I am not sure about accommodation; personally, at that time of year, I would book in advance but my information may be out of date. I would certainly book Orrison if you do want to stay there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I say forget the apps, the arrows are really all you need. That, and the magic of the Camino, will get you where you’re going. It saddens me that so many pilgrims today aren’t willing to let go of control and trust In the providing nature of the Camino. Off track a bit and don’t see an arrow? A perfect chance to interact with a local and ask for directions. I’ve never met anyone while walking who wasn’t willing to help out. I’ve also had several who helped out by pointing me in the right direction when I didn’t even know I was going the wrong way. 😂

When I arrive in a bigger city I try to find the path leading out so that when I leave in the morning (if it’s dark) I know which way to go.

As for fitness level, don’t doubt your abilities. They’ll improve day by day and you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how adaptive you can be. My second Camino walking with my sister and brother we met a woman from Brazil (Betty) who was not in the best shape, a bit overweight and moving REALLY slowly. My brother commented that he doubted she’d ever make Santiago. Five days later he went home due to tendinitis in his knee. My sister and I continued on and in Santiago who did we see happily walking the streets? Betty. It took her a few days longer than most but she made it.

You can do this. 🥾🚶

You will fast get into the habit of looking for the arrows and other markers along the route.
And not passing through a junction, till you have spotted the next marker........

As @Bradypus has suggested, if you want added reassurance, use one of the many phone apps that include mapping. On the less travelled, less well marked routes, I download gps 'tracks' from gronze.com and open them in maps.me Both free to use. You can then see 'live' where you are in relation to the Camino trail.

But really, on the Camino Frances, you don't need that. Lots of markers and lots of other Pilgrims headed the same way (at that time of year)

[look away and raises hand].

Leaving O’Cebrerio after a ‘good lunch’

Should you go astray, be assured that dozens of Spaniards will issue forth from their offices, farms, and bars, to put you back on the good path. When in doubt follow the arrows....
Don't you just love it? It's always such fun when a local puts us right. Has happened so many times. This is a post I wrote in our blog this spring on the Camino Ingles:

Three times today, we were told we were off the Camino. Twice by people in the street before we even got out of Pontedeume. We weren’t really lost those times, exactly. Just trying to figure out the way we wanted to go. But an hour or two later, we missed a turn and had only gone a few feet past it when we heard a voice from a window in a house about 100 feet away. She was calling out, “Por ahi.” She had to say it several times before we realized she was addressing us, indicating we needed to turn. We never saw her, just heard her voice. I was quite grateful she set us right. Charlie said he had a track going that would have beeped at us after about 30 more feet since we were off-track. But, it’s a lot more fun being corrected by the locals.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is easy to find you way on the CF mostly because you are so often within sight of othe pilgrims. There are lots of arrows and shells to mark the trail .

If you haven't seen a yellow arrow for a while, consider turning back to where you last saw one. When you approach a junction, you will generally find no indication of which fork to take, but a few paces after the junction, one of the forks will have a mojón or a yellow arrow on a tree or a rock. You should be able to see it from the junction. In built-up areas, the arrows can be anywhere – on lampposts, traffic signs and walls. Sometimes they might be at ground-level on kerbstones, so look down as well as up. Don't take the Dragonte route from Villafranca del Bierzo, if you don't have GPS or apps. It is not well signposted. (I didn't have GPS.)

Greetings Joe,
Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Camino community. I was 68 last year when I walked the Camino Frances and was not an accomplished long distance hiker, although I recommend practicing walking regularly with your backpack to help make the beginning of your journey more comfortable.
I also used the John Brierly book which I thought was wonderful. The first day I broke into 2 days and stayed at Orrison, one of the albergues about 5 or 6 miles along by the way. If possible, I highly recommend that you reserve a spot at Orrison or one of the other albergues near there. The first day on the Brierly route is pretty consistently uphill and breaking that into two parts was a very good help for me. For me, I also found that sturdy boots and two walking sticks were important for my feet and my balance as I slowly made my way along.
Be kind to yourself, Joe, and do your own Camino at your own pace. May you find unexpected grace and blessing all along the way!
Warmly, Daniel

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What is the best way to keep on track and not lose my way? I have not booked any accommodations and hope to do enroute on the day. Please help.

When I did my first Camino Francis in early May, 2017, I had only the information in/from this Forum and Gronze, no guidebook, app, etc. My approach was to follow the "crowd", aka fellow pilgrims, if and when available.

There was one occasion when I was getting out of Leon 7:00ish in one morning, no pilgrims on the street. I missed some way-markers and got lost. My approach was to ask café operators which opened early, for direction by simply saying "Camino" as I spoke no Spanish, they understood my request and pointed me to where I should head to. After two long hours by myself, I finally saw a pilgrim.

There was another occasion, the "crowd" I followed went into a wrong direction, we collectively got lost and not too long we collectively got back on the right track.

If you need an app on the Camino Frances you have a problem. It is so well marked and here are so many pilgrims it is impossible to get lost. Put your phone away and enjoy what is around you.

It would be very hard to get lost, although some first-timers do seem to manage it anyway !!

You will NOT be alone !!

I'd say use this : mapy.cz

100% FREE including the offline maps.

As to any guide books, they're not necessary at all -- but if you're one of those who love them, go ahead !!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The path is well signed but can be tricky sometimes but John' s book is a great reference guide. 'The Way' I hear is very busy now maybe book some early so you know you have a bed. And don't worry you will get fitter each day. I did my first in 2019 and I was 71. And I'm returning on 27 August leaving from Australia.
But walking from Pamplona on 30th to Santiago n Finisterre
Good Luck
Buon Camino
An excited Perigrino
Marianne

I'm starting one day behind you. Relax and go with the flow. Go well, Joe!😎🇳🇿

First, don't be anxious. You will be fine. The arrows pointing you in the right direction are numerous. AND...even if you start going the wrong way, you will realize very quickly. There are backpack transport for around $5 a day. They will pick up your pack and drop it off in the town/albergue you are heading to. I would recommend using that and bringing a small pack for the day's walk containing the essentials like money/credit cards, snacks, actual passport and pilgrim credentials. Also, if you aren't in the "best fitness state" try to get accommodations at Refuge Orisson which will make your first day not so long and how many people can say they slept in the Pyrennes?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I did my first Camino last summer and am planning my second just a few days behind you. I made reservations at Orisson and Roncesvalles. When I realized I made them a day later than I really should have, I contacted both properties directly several weeks ago and they were already fully booked on the dates of August 29 and 30th.

If you are going to just wing it on accommodations, you may need to walk a very long first day (past Roncesvalles) or use a taxi. At 61 and in good level of fitness, I wouldn’t want a 32 km first day.
Thank you very much. I have to bear that in mind.

Thank you very much for your post which actually has got me worried, although for a valid, good, reason. In John Brierley's book he talks of two private accommodations in Orrison. Is it these you are referring to or are there other ones too there? Since you have done this before, what is the best way to go with accommodations, book them far in advance or call in the day before? I'd appreciate you help. If Orrison and Roncesvalles are booked is taxi or walk to the next the only way out?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You will not get lost on the Frances but if you are concerned, and like me want to make sure you’re on the right path, I recommend downloading Wise Pilgrim. You can use the GPS wayfinding without wifi. I like this because a) I’m paranoid when I don’t see arrows for awhile and b) I like to see what towns are up ahead to prepare and get excited for my cafe breaks!
Where do you download the Wise Pilgrim from and how easy is it to follow? Do you need the wifi for that or can you download the entire route prior?

Thank you very much for your post which actually has got me worried, although for a valid, good, reason. In John Brierley's book he talks of two private accommodations in Orrison. Is it these you are referring to or are there other ones too there? Since you have done this before, what is the best way to go with accommodations, book them far in advance or call in the day before? I'd appreciate you help. If Orrison and Roncesvalles are booked is taxi or walk to the next the only way out?
I’m only familiar with Refuge Orisson and Refuge Borda in Orisson. They are 9 km up from SJPDP. Roncesvalles is about 27 km from SJPdP. There are a few private accommodations in addition to the large monastery albergue.

I believe Express Borricot has a shuttle that runs between Roncesvalles and SJPDP. I wouldn’t worry, but reach out to them DIRECTLY through their respective websites and try to book. Weekends are always booked more quickly than a TWTh.

Thank you very much. I am in the learning process and so I am anxious. Yes, the two you mention are listed on the book. I researched those two and I guess those are private hotels and therefore cost more too in comparison to other lodgings. I still have them available for my dates and may have to settle for it anyways. Tks again

Oh if booking ahead it’s really simple if you use the Wise Pilgrim app. Phone numbers are there and use WhatsApp. I found it easy and responsive.
How have you made your accommodation bookings in the past? Do I have to do them in advance or on the day as I go along is okay?

MiThank you very much for your post which actually has got me worried, although for a valid, good, reason. In John Brierley's book he talks of two private accommodations in Orrison. Is it these you are referring to or are there other ones too there? Ft
Orisson is not a town. It's just the name of the area about 5 miles from St Jean Pied de Port where you will find Refuge Orisson and Auberge Borda.

If you want to break up the long stage to Roncesvalles these are your choices:

Book ahead at Orisson or Borda, take the Valcarlos route and overnight in Valcarlos, or use Express Bourricot's Mountain Shuttle.

In Roncesvalles there are a couple of hotels and the 183 bed albergue that you can book in advance in their website.

Where do you download the Wise Pilgrim from and how easy is it to follow? Do you need the wifi for that or can you download the entire route prior?
Wise Pilgrim is available through Apple Store and I would assume Android. It is very easy to follow. The paid version has more features than the free version. You need Wi-Fi to download but do not need to be connected to Wi-Fi or data for GPS wayfinding while walking. When I was in the Camino, I would always open the app each morning in the albergue when on Wi-Fi to update or refresh the app. I don’t know if this was necessary. The creator of the app is on this Forum under the username @wisepilgrim if you have questions. It’s great because you can see what towns are up ahead and whether they have cafes. That always gave me something to look forward to!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If Orrison and Roncesvalles are booked is taxi or walk to the next the only way out?
I recommend using the shuttle service from Express Bourricot to return to St. Jean and to return to your prior pick up point from the previous day.

It is quite cheap for the shuttle and it means:
1 you can get a second night's accommodation in St. Jean at what ever price point suits you (versus the costs of Orrison/Borda). AND
2 If you walk up to the Snow Virgin or coffee cart at the turnoff near the top then the next morning you will be way in front of most other pilgrims (as Orrison/Borda are further down the hill towards St. Jean) and so you have a much better chance of getting accommodation at Roncesvalles.

This is what I did and it worked well for me during the busiest period during May 2019 (which still ranks as the busiest since then).

I recommend using the shuttle service from Express Bourricot to return to St. Jean and to return to your prior pick up point from the previous day.

It is quite cheap for the shuttle and it means:
1 you can get a second night's accommodation in St. Jean at what ever price point suits you (versus the costs of Orrison/Borda). AND
2 If you walk up to the Snow Virgin or coffee cart at the turnoff near the top then the next morning you will be way in front of most other pilgrims (as Orrison/Borda are further down the hill towards St. Jean) and so you have a much better chance of getting accommodation at Roncesvalles.

This is what I did and it worked well for me during the busiest period during May 2019 (which still ranks as the busiest since then).
I accompanied a small group of "newbie" pilgrims from SJPdP to Pamplona in May. We used Express Bourricot's Mountain Shuttle and it worked great. The pick up/drop off point at the Virgin of Orisson statue is about an hour's walk past Orisson where we stopped for lunch.

la-navette-du-matin.png

The next day we were able to walk past Roncesvalles to Burguete.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first time I walked I didnt have a guide book or an app. Just followed the arrows and had the time of my life. It really is that simple. You will have the best time.
Thanks for the encouragement. That's my take for this walk, but I have my wife with me who is not as comfortable with no plans at all. Will see how it pan out.

Hello . I used only brierly guide book last fall and trusted it and the arrows to keep me on course. You will be ok. You will get very quick at watching for the arrows

I am 69 and not in the best fitness state.

I wish you good luck. You plan to do 500 miles in just over 5 weeks, which is a more ambitious schedule than ours - we're 70 and planning from mid Aug to end Sep. I would recommend that you do plenty of walking in the weeks before you start, to make sure that you know how it feels to do 15 miles a day, every day. That's certainly our prep and we've already started.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I do not think it be possible to get lost on the Frances. Just follow the other pilgrims as you exit in the morning and you will be fine. Should you go astray, be assured that dozens of Spaniards will issue forth from their offices, farms, and bars, to put you back on the good path. When in doubt follow the arrows....
Difficult but not impossible. Just west of Estella, the arrow was so far after the junction that I could not see it until I had guessed wrong, gone a long ways, doubled back and walked several meters on the right path.

I scratched an arrow into the gravel many times a bit east of Los Arcos art a five-way junction, because the arrow was in the ditch, often hidden by a parked car. (I always wondered why there was a car with no occupants and no one else in sight so far away from any village.)

"Almost impossible to get lost". Indeed it is but still possible. Back in 2019 I was walking through a town and on the way out when I saw a gentleman I knew by sight walking the opposite way alone. As you will all know you often see the same people at different times of the day or different days as you leapfrog each other. Well this was the case with two Japanese gentlemen. I saw them quite often over the course of about a week and they stood out to me because one was quite short but his friend was very, very tall. As we passed each other on either side of the road, travelling in opposite directions he looked at me and stopped. Then he crossed over and began following me! I had spoken to them a couple of times previously as pilgrims do but got no answer and only ever heard them speak in Japanese so I assumed (wrongly or rightly they spoke no English and I certainly do not speak Japanese). He stayed quite a distance behind me but always in sight of me and after half an hour or so I came upon his friend stretching next to some benches. I told him his friend was coming but got no acknowledgement and a few minutes later his friend arrived and they spoke and the tall guy picked up his pack and walked off leaving his friend trailing behind him without even having had a small break. Each to their own but yes, it is possible to get lost

"Almost impossible to get lost". Indeed it is but still possible.
Yes, my husband and I got lost on the camino from Santiago to Finisterre. It cost us a few extra kilometers that day. Here's what we wrote in our blog about it.
I wonder if others might have gotten off-path at this point as well.

@JoeF, I hope this doesn't make you worry more. We weren't thrilled about the extra walking that day, but we were never in danger and, looking back, it is a good memory.

Also, if we had just trusted the yellow arrows, we would not have taken a wrong turn!

Last edited:
One thing I do (and it is less relevant if you always have net access). I make a pdf with my entire route plan, small excerpts of maps showing the route in the harder places, maybe albergues for each stage, phone numbers, useful spanish phrases, any medical info and emergency contacts. So maybe 2-3 A4 sheets worth (6 sides). I then print them off and laminate them. They weigh next to nothing, they don't need a net connection, they work when your battery ran out on your phone or when it's tipping it down in the middle of a thunderstorm and are waterproof.

Another thing i tend to carry is a small button compass. If you are heading roughly west, you are heading towards Santiago. If you look at the compass and you are heading south or north or even east, then you will know in a seconds you are heading the wrong way. Obviously more useful if you are off the beaten track doing one of the lesser walked routes. But if I am literally in the middle of nowhere and not a pilgrim to be seen I can whip that out and be like yes, I am going the right way, or no I need to change direction.

The other year some people got lost in the Pyrenees while crossing to Roncesvalle. If they had a compass, they could have walked due west or east and walked out without all the emergency services hassle they caused. Same if you have decided to cross in the middle of winter with a lot of snow on the ground. Basic navigation tools that were used before mobile phones and the internet.

@JoeF
I did my 1st CF last year, turning 63 while at it (well, technically while already on the way to Finisterre), not in great shape... and let me just say that I got myself "lost" aplenty, all pretty much before I got to Burgos (after that I was a PRO 😁)
Every time kind locals pointed me to the right way and on 2 occasions physically WALKED with me until I was on the right path!!!

To be fair, I did not take any maps or Brierly Bible with me, one time misread a local map, and stubbornly refused to download any Camino apps and\or even consult Google maps ...
Some folks are OK without the above, I thought I'd be OK too, but then I came to conclusion that I "needed help" and all was well from that moment on.
As many already stated you learn to follow others and to look for the arrows and plaques as you gain confidence in yourself
All-in-all its quite doable and yes practically impossible to truly get lost
Good luck and Buen Camino 👍
I’ll also be having my 63rd birthday while on the Camino in October 😊

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back