• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD 🦠 Travelers from Japan into EU

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mycroft

Veteran Member
At times, I am slow, but are you saying, Peter, Japan is on this list of countries deemed safe and folks from there do not have to do even a COVID test to get into Spain? This is the same Japan that for the last several weeks has been having increased COVID cases and citizens are wanting the Olympics postposed or cancelled because of the infection, and the doctors are worried the hospital system will be overwhelmed? I must not be understanding something.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was wondering the same thing!

Case rates have actually been in decline for the last few weeks, and rates per capita are lower than some European countries. Nonetheless, with the ongoing state of emergency in many major cities and late-starting vaccination program, it is a strange country to include in a "coronavirus safe" list.

Perhaps they're doing it so that vaccinated members of the Spanish olympic team can come home from the games without the hassle of a quarantine.

EDIT - Actually, I can't see the source for Peter Franciscus' news that Japan is on Spain's coronavirus safe list. I am starting to doubt that it is actually the case. Can anyone point to the source for this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
EDIT - Actually, I can't see the source for Peter Franciscus' news that Japan is on Spain's coronavirus safe list. I am starting to doubt that it is actually the case. Can anyone point to the source for this?

I think Peter quoted from a news article that was published by various sources (including the BBC) last week.

Retracing it to the original source: the official Spanish tourism website (https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/) mentions the following:

Important: Japan is one of the countries exempt from temporary travel restrictions. More information here (only in Spanish).

Entry requirements in Spain.

1. No PCR is required.
Japan is one of the exempt countries.

2. Form (information here). In all cases, it is mandatory to fill out the Spain Health Control form (FCS). It must be completed and signed it online before your trip to Spain. You may access the form and sign it through the Spain Travel Health portal or through the apps for Android or iOS devices. The personal identification number (passport / DNI) that you use to fill in the form must be the same that appears on the aforementioned negative certificate.

Looks like a hangover from days when things were calmer here.
Maybe I should take the opportunity to visit Spain... or maybe not.

says all sorts of fun things but for the purposes of this discussion....

Google trans says:

ANNEXED
Third countries and special administrative regions whose residents are not affected by the temporary restriction of non-essential trips to the EU through the external borders in the terms set out in this order:

I. States

1. Australia.

2. Israel.

3. Japan.

4. New Zealand.

5. Rwanda.

6. Singapore.

7. South Korea.

8. Thailand.

9. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

10. China.

II. Special Administrative Regions of the People's Republic of China

Hong Kong SAR.

Macao SAR.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Status
Not open for further replies.